Sign in to follow this  
bevfanK

Shatner

I found this on a different board..

William Shatner Trying to Kindle Interest in New TREK Series Idea

By: Steve Krutzler

Dept: General Star Trek

William Shatner speaks today in an article distributed via Scripps Howard News Service about the state of the STAR TREK franchise post-NEMESIS and under fire from game publisher Activision over declining appeal. The 'Captain Kirk' icon says he thinks the feature franchise is caput for now.

"I think that Patrick (Stewart) doesn't want to do it anymore," he told the news service. "The other cast of STAR TREK . . . they have run their race and have made many films -- good ones, I think -- so there's another phase, but we don't know what it is."

Shatner, who has publicly stated for years that his lack of involvement in current TREK projects is not his doing, says he has an idea for a TREK series.

"In fact, I'm trying to interest the powers -- and that has many levels to it -- for me to conceive another STAR TREK manifestation," he said. "It would be a concept for a series."

Shatner directed STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER, the lowest-grossing and least popular of the series until last year's STAR TREK NEMESIS, which only brought in $43 million domestically. Of his directorial outing, Shatner says his inexperience with studio politics ultimately doomed the picture.

"I learned a great deal. I probably compromised myself out of a terrific movie."

What does everyone think??

I have no comment... B)

I found this on a different board..

William Shatner Trying to Kindle Interest in New TREK Series Idea

By: Steve Krutzler

Dept: General Star Trek

William Shatner speaks today in an article distributed via Scripps Howard News Service about the state of the STAR TREK franchise post-NEMESIS and under fire from game publisher Activision over declining appeal. The 'Captain Kirk' icon says he thinks the feature franchise is caput for now.

"I think that Patrick (Stewart) doesn't want to do it anymore," he told the news service. "The other cast of STAR TREK . . . they have run their race and have made many films -- good ones, I think -- so there's another phase, but we don't know what it is."

Shatner, who has publicly stated for years that his lack of involvement in current TREK projects is not his doing, says he has an idea for a TREK series.

"In fact, I'm trying to interest the powers -- and that has many levels to it -- for me to conceive another STAR TREK manifestation," he said. "It would be a concept for a series."

Shatner directed STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER, the lowest-grossing and least popular of the series until last year's STAR TREK NEMESIS, which only brought in $43 million domestically. Of his directorial outing, Shatner says his inexperience with studio politics ultimately doomed the picture.

"I learned a great deal. I probably compromised myself out of a terrific movie."

What does everyone think??

I have no comment... :(

I love Bill Shatner! B) But his direction and production skills are bad to say the least.

Message to Bill:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

By the way, I do actually agree that Trek has not been as fresh since the end of TNG, but I feel that there is real hope in Enterprise for creative sci-fi plots.

I'm kind of against the idea of two trek series on at the same time. But I am curious what Bill has in mind. I don't think it'll ever be produced though. He tried to convince TPTB to update Final Frontier and basically they weren't interested in any of Shatner's idea.

William Shatner's box office bomb aside,he is a good writer,and I loved Tek War.Maybe he could bring just enough to the table of a new series to allow other writers to expand on his ideas and get the ball rolling on a series that would help all of us forget the disappointment Enterprise is.Though,my personal take on Trek's flagging popularity is that the product needs to be scaled back for a while,and relaunched some years down the road.

It will be very interesting to see what he would come up with for a show if he got the go ahead. Hopefully something more and better then what Star Trek V had turned out to be.

Maybe he could bring just enough to the table of a new series to allow other writers to expand on his ideas and get the ball rolling on a series that would help all of us forget the disappointment Enterprise is.

whatever shatner could come up with i dont know. i did like tekwars. and whats wrong with ENTERPRISE? its a great show, :) gives new insight into how things started. and is just an allaround good show. i think you need to give it a good chance. you may just be suprised.

Shatner's big head as always thinking that he is the master of the Trek galaxy. He was just an actor who playdaq great character. And Star trek 5 was proof that that was all he was capable of. He cant blame politics for his flump. Nimoy did a good enough job! I think he just cant sit back and shut up. Im fed up with seeing his Trek books with him on the cover looking 20 years younger in the latest Star Fleet uniform. Give it up fat man. Your hot air belongs in the 80s with your belly.

whats wrong with ENTERPRISE? its a great show, :)  gives new insight into how things started. and is just an allaround good show. i think you need to give it a good chance. you may just be suprised.

I've given it about as much a chance as I'm interested in giving it.I don't like it for all the reasons the anti-Ent crowd has. :)

I think a series will be great, but as long as it is after ENT, involving the series POST-NEMESIS, will be excellent. During this era we can see more inventions such as the creation and the development of the time machine and more Earth-bound episodes. :)

I really think that VOY was a great series, and although I didnt watch DS9, from what I have read online, it seems it would of been excellent as well. I think that Fans complain a little too much and dont see a story for what it is, a story, it has really no general essence, but it can affect us in many ways... Get out of the past and press on with the new. :)

I think this might be a good idea. Let the old school and their ideas try and save Trek

And if they're not sucessful? How much of a chance at getting anywhere do you give them?

I don't think that might work-- Trek has a whole new audience to attract, and guess who's gonna do that. Right. They will, if they're represented.

Shatner SPPLATs For Charity

"I was moved to tears watching these children struggle with their handicap...and I wanted to help," said William Shatner (Captain Kirk) of his devotion to the Hollywood Charity Horse Show that he sponsors every year.

Speaking to the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin in anticipation of a weekend Creation convention in New York, the actor discussed his humanitarian commitments.

"I was putting on this horse show and wanted to benefit a children's charity," he said, explaining that seeing a woman teaching disabled children to ride was inspirational to him. The money from his horse show benefits the children's charity Ahead with Horses and others.

Shatner said he also planned to attend SPPLAT Attack II, a paintball event this weekend in Pennsylvania, to benefit the horse show.

Though his wife Elizabeth was initially reluctant to get involved, calling the sport "'all that machismo'", Shatner said that she has become good enough to serve as his sharpshooter.

Being splattered by zealous fans is a small price to pay, he added: "Last year we were able to give $25,000 to $35,000 to the charity after the paintball event, and we're hoping that will be the same or more this year."

For more on the actor's projects, including his plan to direct and "probably act" in the film Fires of Hate, see the full article here.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/270803_02.shtml

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Shatner Speaks More About His Ideas

Beam him back up

Shatner's ready to rejoin Trek, but will Paramount let him?

Captain Kirk wants his bridge back.

And his alter-ego, Canadian actor William Shatner, says he has a concept which would see him return to the faltering Star Trek franchise -- not as an actor, but producer. He's just not ready to share it yet.

"For the last many years, I've been writing (Star Trek) books that were very successful. I had an idea that I thought would work if they gave it a shot," Shatner tells the Sun from his Los Angeles office.

A lot has been written lately about Trek's waning fortunes and its place in popular culture -- the last movie Nemesis bombed and the fifth series, Enterprise, is sputtering at nowhere near warp speed in the ratings. But Shatner, also a producer and businessman, is holding off jumping on-board.

"The problem is Paramount owns the rights to everything Star Trek, so even if it was a good idea, I still wouldn't own it. Why bother giving them a good idea when they're going to own it?"

Still Shatner -- who has been identified with his star-hopping alter ego for nearly four decades -- admits he and Paramount may still find a middle ground.

"It's just a beginning. Or they may very well resurrect it on their own."

As for the celebrity that Trek gave him, he calls it "a two-edged sword. Being recognized means stuff you're doing is being recognized. But it also means there's no privacy."

That's something that was driven home for Shatner in 1999 after the drowning death of his wife, Nerine. Shatner found her at the

bottom of their swimming pool. "It was awful," he says of the media glare that followed.

However, he adds he's come to terms with the loss. "Grief has a path that travels and at some point in time it leads you upwards and you can breathe again."

Professionally, Shatner appears content to stay clear of pointed ears and phasers.

For one, he's promoting the recent arrival of his short-lived Tekwar series on the Canadian science-fiction channel Space: The Imagination Station. It airs Saturdays.

DISAPPOINTMENT

The series lasted only one season of 22 episodes on the USA Network down south -- something Shatner, who based the series on his novels, clearly isn't happy about.

"There were a lot of technical problems when we filmed the series. It was a late order from the USA Network, so everything was rushed, including post-production. We'd air four or five shows and have to run a repeat because we didn't have a backlog," he says.

"It also takes a year to find out what you're dealing with. You need feedback from people, and you need to see for yourself what needs to be recast, what elements need to be changed ... We never had a chance to go with a second season with what we learned. I was very disappointed because we didn't have the chance to put our best foot forward. It was success by many standards, but not by mine."

Although there's always the chance that Tekwar will resurface as another series of made-for-TV movies -- "I would relish the chance to do that," he admits -- Shatner is moving on, working with the U.S. Sci-Fi Channel on a film. "And there are the shows we're trying to produce out of this office -- game shows, travel shows, a diving show ... Acting is fun. There's a kick in acting and it's something I'm really adept at so I do it. But I also love the challenge of producing."

--canoe http://www.canoe.ca/JamStarTrek/aug28_shatner-sun.html

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Sign in to follow this