Sign in to follow this  
Vic

'Star Trek XI' May Feature Both Old Kirk and Young Pike

By Michelle

January 16, 2007 - 10:43 PM

William Shatner has confirmed that the eleventh Star Trek movie will focus on the early years of Captain James T. Kirk, while an anonymous source has provided script pages indicating that Christopher Pike, the original captain of the USS Enterprise seen in the first series pilot, will make an appearance.

Shatner told Sci Fi Wire that he would definitely appear in the film if producer J.J. Abrams can work him in. "I met with J.J., and they told me they would like me to be part of their film, but they have to write the role," Shatner explained.

Though Abrams and his team have remained mum on the movie's storyline, Shatner said that it focused on Kirk and Spock during their youth - a subject of great interest to Shatner, as he is writing books with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens about Kirk's Academy years.

Meanwhile, The IESB reported that a source had turned over the first few pages of Abrams' script - a first draft which has not yet been greenlit for production. "While it’s old news that the new storyline will involve a young Kirk and Spock, we have been told to expect to see Captain Christopher Pike and our favorite Scottish, miracle-working engineer Montgomery Scott," stated the IESB.

The pilot that centered on Pike, "The Cage", was later edited into the original series episode "The Menagerie" and established that Spock had served under Pike on the Enterprise for many years before Kirk became captain. "The feature film’s storyline is non-linear, there are different timeframes addressed," the IESB article added. "This goes along with the rumors of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy's involvement."

Until Paramount makes an official announcement, all reports about Star Trek XI must be considered hearsay. Any preliminary script could change a great deal depending on casting and budget.