Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

BLASTER Worm

As many of you may know there is a new Worm infecting the Internet. This will affect computers running:

• Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0
  • Microsoft Windows® 2000
  • Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003
  • Microsoft® Windows XP

This is a new kind of Worm, or Virus. It doesn't require you to do anything to become infected. This worm will search the internet looking for computers to infect. Once it finds a computer with the right parameters it will infect it.

To protect yourself from this I would suggest you take steps now. Go to the link listed below for instructions from Microsoft on what to do.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

I myself have now updated with all of Microsoft's Service packs and I have run the virus scanner from Symantec. I myself (as well as my other computers) are not infected.

To obtain the Scanner to check your system go to this site and download the tool:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html

The file you want to download is about 1/3 of the way down the page and the link for the download is:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...er/FixBlast.exe

I hope this information will be helpful in securing your computers.

Again, this only affects systems running:

• Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0
  • Microsoft Windows® 2000
  • Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003
  • Microsoft® Windows XP

If any more information becomes available or if I learn anything new I will pass it along as soon as possible.

This is a Yahoo news story outlining this worm:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...windows_worm_dc

I work for a ISP and let me tell you this virus has been a thorn in my side.

Mine too and I don't work for an ISP lol, that's what I get for having built so many computers for so many people though.

I scanned my systems and I'm clean but I updated all of the systems with SP1. Not a lot more we can do then that I guess.

I work for a ISP and let me tell you this virus has been a thorn in my side.

Mine too and I don't work for an ISP lol, that's what I get for having built so many computers for so many people though.

I scanned my systems and I'm clean but I updated all of the systems with SP1. Not a lot more we can do then that I guess.

That's about it, I just love people that have nothing better to do with thier time than think of ways to mess with people. But with this virus this person isn't just messing with a small group of people thier messing with a world of people.

Computer dummy here. Do I download Windows XP (32 bit) or Windows XP (64 bit) ? *lost*

That's a good question, a question I can't answer but a good one. You would have to know if your XP is 32bit or 64bit. Currently I am researching it to find the answer for myself.

If you install SP1 though I believe that should cover you.

I downloaded the 32 bit one over 2 hours ago,

Haven't had a Probem yet

I was having problems a couple weeks ago but was unaware of the virus at that time, I actually had trouble with 2 of my cmputers. My neighbor had it, his daughter and many other people I know.

What was happening was a RPC (Remote Procedure Call) error causing the computer to reboot. My trouble happened for a few days and then was gone. I've taken all steps to protect my systems now though.

Computer dummy here. Do I download Windows XP (32 bit) or Windows XP (64 bit) ? *lost*

well there is one 32bit 64bit thing i know of with computers. but that cant be the case because the only 64bit home computer in the world is a brand new one, the apple g5. and that cant be since all windows pcs are 32bit and the only 64bit is a mac. hmm... interesting. the two different files must be referring to something else.

i dont think i can help.

(phew. its a good thing i delayed upgrading to xp. im still running 98 se.)

Thankyou, I did the required download and did the required definition update. After that, I did a virus scan. My computer is clean.

Actually, I have been using Norton's Internet Security. It has a great Firewall. I suggest that if you don't have it, get it. It has protected my computer more times than you can imagine.

I had a scare getting online this morning, every book-marked site was showing page cannot be shown messages but the helpful people at my provider walked me though some steps that cleared it right up. PHEW! :dude:

Computer dummy here.Uh,I have McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall,plus I went to Microsoft's website and followed the instructions there for users of Windows XP.Does that mean I'm about as safe from this thing as possible?Or,should I do some other things?Any suggestions would be more than just appreciated....if my computer gets messed up I can't afford a replacement. :dude:

Computer dummy here.Uh,I have McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall,plus I went to Microsoft's website and followed the instructions there for users of Windows XP.Does that mean I'm about as safe from this thing as possible?Or,should I do some other things?Any suggestions would be more than just appreciated....if my computer gets messed up I can't afford a replacement. :dude:

I dont believe you need to worry about it messing up your computer, this particular worm was made to shut Microsoft's website down.

The only step I would say you should do now if you haven't already is to get the mblast scanner:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...er/FixBlast.exe

This link is for a program that will scan for the virus. As with any .exe program though you MUST be 100% sure of what it is and trust the source that is giving it to you. The above linl will download the .exe file itself. The place this file is coming from is Symantec (Norton AntiVirus) the site is:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html

I have run this program and I suggest you do the same if you haven't already.

No problem, I hope this helps others that may not have seen the news. Everyone with any of the affected operating systems shoule update and scan now.

Yep, this virus shut down our entire intra net for a whole day at the medical center where I work......our "techies" were working overtime to clean up the computers. :( B) ...........but things are okay now. B)

This virus has definitely caused alot of havoc. I do Tech support and we have been swamped all week with these issues, it has even kept me to busy to be on the boards much.

This is a worm written to take advantage of a vulnerability in Windows NT systems (NT, 2000, and XP). This vulnerability was announced two weeks ago on TechTV and Leo implored all viewers to download the patch RIGHT NOW. I did, but apparantly alot of people didn't. Part of my job as a customer service rep at Time Warner Cable is Tier 1 RoadRunner support. If a customer is unable to get online, I verify that the modem is working correctly before passing them on to Tier 2. On Tuesday, August 12th, we were inundated with calls from people because when they tried to get on the internet, they got an RPC error message and their system would suddenly reboot after one minute. They immediately thought this was the fault of their ISP (RoadRunner) and called us. They waited on hold for 20 minutes only to have me tell them to call their computer's manufacturer or Microsoft. I had many irate people calling me some very vulgar names!!

I hadn't gotten word of this, in fact I had the RPC problem on 2 of my computers, my neighbors computer and his daughters computer (All of which I built). I was in the process of trouble shooting when my brother called to tell me that it was a worldwide worm doing this. When it first happened to me a couple weeks ago I assumed that it was a virus or hacker trying to gain access to my system. I actually did a couple of the steps that they suggest (didn't have the patch though) and after unplugging the modem and whatever else I did the RPC stopped. Then a week or so later it started on the other systems I mentioned. That was the first hint I had that this was a larger problem then just my system.

We're all protected from it now though.

I posted a link to this thread on my other boards, so they thank you VBG.  B)

You are more then welcome and I hope others will find it helpful.

Yeah, I am a level 2 support for Verizon DSL. So I got called all kinds of nasty names this week. Of course we also had nearly an hour or more wait for tech support.