Sign in to follow this  
master_q

“Star Trek Enterprise”

Star Trek Enterprise”

UPN promos for Enterprise's fall launch on September 10 show a new logo with the words "Star Trek" appearing above the series title for the first time.

As you probably know there is a poll asking you if you like to see the title “Star Trek” before “Enterprise"

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...topic=4418&st=0

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Star Trek Enterprise”

UPN promos for Enterprise's fall launch on September 10 show a new logo with the words "Star Trek" appearing above the series title for the first time.

As you probably know there is a poll asking you if you like to see the title “Star Trek” before “Enterprise"

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...topic=4418&st=0

Master Q

Where is that quote from? Is there a picture of the logo with it?

I don’t know the direct source or even a good secondary source, but I do think this seems correct because when I turned on UPN it had a commercial about how ENT is coming back - - - - it said “Star Trek Enterprisee” and showed the words “Star Trek Enterprise” on the screen

Master Q

I rarely have the TV on but I'll have to try to watch a little to see if I can catch it. I wonder if this is an official change or just an advertising change.

Cool.Might make Roguedawg happy enough to watch the show he loves to hate.I don't mind the title change,so long as the show keeps getting better(and it is). :laugh:

I hope Enterprise does deliberately connect with at least a few major historical events,just the quiet down all the haters.Then,maybe,we can all be one big happy Trek family again.... :laugh:

Enterprise is a great show wheather it has Star Trek in the logo or not. We all know its a part of Star Trek so to me its no big deal. The show is just as good as any other series that has Star Trek in its title.

Yep, it was correct

(But I was 95% sure when I first posted it anyways)

UPN Puts the 'Star Trek' In 'Enterprise'

On the cusp of the premiere of the show's third season, UPN has finally put Star Trek in front of Enterprise in the series' title.

While StarTrek.com is still calling the show Enterprise, UPN has changed its logos on both the main and series pages of its web site to reflect the change.

TrekWeb reported that the network also sent a memo to its affiliates, signed by Kathie Kiefner, manager of communications and operations for CBS and UPN affiliate relations.

The memo announces a revision to the name, asking stations to note "the following new title for the 2003/2004 season: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE."

The name appears as Star Trek Enterprise, without the colon used by the network to refer to Star Trek: Voyager.

Fans have speculated for weeks that such a name change might be imminent after the words "Star Trek" began appearing in summer advertisements and trailers.

The show's third season begins tomorrow night at 8 p.m. Eastern Time, when UPN will air "The Xindi."

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/090903_04.shtml

Master Q

Durring the promos for Season 2, early Season 2 episodes, and Season 3, they have called it Star Trek Enterprise without a colon. This is no surprise, it's just how they advertise it so people know the show is Trek, other wise, they might think it's a software company if they just see the name advertised. :borg2: Anywho, I still think the title in the credits, which is up to Paramount, not UPN, will be left as is. To me, Enterprise is the same as saying Star Trek, so calling it Star Trek Enterprise would be very tacky in my opinion. A sci-fi show called Enterprise, about a Starship explorring the galaxy. How could people not think it's Trek related some how?

Well, UPN is Paramount so saying UPN did it is saying Paramount did it. Enterprise can mean many different things. It could be a Rent-A-Car ad.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wasn't tacky, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek The Next Generation weren't tacky either so I don't see Star Trek Enterprise as tacky. It may be a timeline prequel but the title Star Trek is only a description of what they are doing. Not who they are.

Star Wars Episode I never made sense to me though, why name it Star Wars if there is no War before the movie starts?

Well, the 4th was renamed from "Star Wars" to "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" meaning that a prequal trilogy would eventually be made.

You're right, the previos Trek titles sounded fine. However, to me, Star Trek Enterprise sounds as bad as calling it Star Trek Star Trek or Star Trek Journey Between the Stars, "Star Trek" and "Journey Between the Stars" meaning the same thing.

Anywho, at the start of season 2, they advertised it as Star Trek Enterprise, but when the show premiered, it was still called Enterprise. I believe the same thing will happen tomorrow night. :borg2:

Well, the 4th was renamed from "Star Wars" to "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" meaning that a prequal trilogy would eventually be made.

You're right, the previos Trek titles sounded fine.  However, to me, Star Trek Enterprise sounds as bad as calling it Star Trek Star Trek or Star Trek Journey Between the Stars, "Star Trek" and "Journey Between the Stars" meaning the same thing.

Anywho, at the start of season 2, they advertised it as Star Trek Enterprise, but when the show premiered, it was still called Enterprise.  I believe the same thing will happen tomorrow night. :lol:

I already know what the official title is ;) and I'm not tellin' lol

Yes, Star Trek Star Trek would be redundant. It says the same thing twice. (Was I just redundant with that? :borg2: ) lol

But lets look at the words in the titles:

From http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=dictionar...UTF-8&fr=fp-top

Star:

1a. A self-luminous celestial body consisting of a mass of gas held together by its own gravity in which the energy generated by nuclear reactions in the interior is balanced by the outflow of energy to the surface, and the inward-directed gravitational forces are balanced by the outward-directed gas and radiation pressures. b. Any of the celestial bodies visible at night from Earth as relatively stationary, usually twinkling points of light. c. Something regarded as resembling such a celestial body.

2. A graphic design having five or more radiating points, often used as a symbol of rank or merit.

3a. An artistic performer or athlete whose leading role or superior performance is acknowledged. b. One who is highly celebrated in a field or profession.

4a. An asterisk (*). b. The star key on a telephone: For customer service, press star.

5. A white spot on the forehead of a horse.

6. A planet or constellation of the zodiac believed in astrology to influence personal destiny.

7. stars The future; destiny. Often used with the.

For this title I would say that #1 fits best:

A self-luminous celestial body

Trek:

INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: trekked, trek·king, treks

1. To make a slow or arduous journey.

2. To journey on foot, especially to hike through mountainous areas.

3. South African To travel by ox wagon. 

NOUN: 1. A journey or leg of a journey, especially when slow or difficult.

2. South African A journey by ox wagon, especially a migration such as that of the Boers from 1835 to 1837. 

ETYMOLOGY: Afrikaans, to travel by ox wagon, from Dutch trekken, to travel, from Middle Dutch trecken, to pull.

For this title I would say again #1 fits best:

To make a slow or arduous journey.

So from Star Trek we get:

A slow arduous journey to a self-luminous celestial body.

Of course the journey is all in the traveling and visitation of the planets around those Stars.

Now lets look at Enterprise:

NOUN: 1. An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.

2. A business organization.

3. Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit: Private enterprise is basic to capitalism.

4. Willingness to undertake new ventures; initiative: “Through want of enterprise and faith men are where they are, buying and selling, and spending their lives like serfs” (Henry David Thoreau).

Again here #1 fits best:

An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.

How does this describe a voyage into space? How does it conjure up images of Kirk, Spock, Picard, Sisko and Janeway and the rest?

It does for you because you are a Star Trek fan. But it isn't the die hard Star Trek fans TPTB are trying to attract. They are trying to attract the mainstream everyday viewers that may know Star Trek but to them "Enterprise" is the place they rent a car from.

If I hadn't been such a huge fan of all things Trek I likely would have gone a year without knowing of Enterprise's existence. I say this because my mother, a casual Trek fan (of all the series) had no earthly idea that a new series was made. In fact the way she found out was I was telling her about "Enterprise" and her reaction was what's that? She had NO idea. This was about half way through season 2 BTW.

So to rename it Star Trek now it proper, but it's gone 2 years without it so at the same time it's not proper. They should leave things as they are now.

Well, to be fair, I've met a lot of people who refuse to watch Star Trek becuase it's a "nerdy" show, yet have gotten into Trek through Enterprise, not knowing it was Trek at the time. I just don't see how Star Trek Enterprise will get more people to watch rather than calling it Enterprise. If I find a TV show on, I watch based on the quallity of the series, not the title. Besides, the show has allways been advertised with a picture of Scott Bakula or something outside the TV promos, so why would people think it's a car company or something, especially when they say "Wednesday nights on UPN"?

If I find a TV show on, I watch based on the quallity of the series, not the title.  Besides, the show has allways been advertised with a picture of Scott Bakula or something outside the TV promos, so why would people think it's a car company or something, especially when they say "Wednesday nights on UPN"?

The key word here is "If", If you find the show. If you decide to watch it. If is such a small word but it has such a huge meaning.

The point is that there are a lot of people that had and have no idea who or what "Enterprise" is. They are people that aren't "Trekkies" but they aren't immature to the point of not watching a show because it's Nerdy.

TPTB aren't trying to get the die hard fans to watch, they die hard fans will watch and will know what's going on regardless. They aren't trying to convert those that refuse to watch because they don't want to be a "nerd". It's the millions and millions of people in between.

THat's why the promo's now say Star Trek Enterprise and have the Star Trek logo on them.

Star Trek is the show's History, it's identity. Strip that away and you doom it.

If you are concerned that your friends will think of you as a "nerd" simply because "Star Trek" is part of the title then you shouldn't be. It's only a TV show, and besides how Nerdy can it be? It's sustained 5 TV Series, a cartoon, 10 feature films and has been around for almost 40 years.

Embrace "Star Trek", without it there would be no Enterprise (Other the the car rental place)

Well, I've never heard of a car rental place called "Enterprise". Whenever I brought up "Enterprise" with people who watch TV regularly, they either haven't heard of it or identify it as the current Star Trek show.

Anywho, this isn't "Star Trek", it's a show "based" on Star Trek, so I don't see why it has to be in the title. The whole idea of a "family name", I dunno, to me, it's just a creative TV show that I love too watch, especially when I don't watch much TV. To me, the name "Enterprise" sounds far better than "Star Trek Enterprise".

Well, I've never heard of a car rental place called "Enterprise".  Whenever I brought up "Enterprise" with people who watch TV regularly, they either haven't heard of it or identify it as the current Star Trek show.

Anywho, this isn't "Star Trek", it's a show "based" on Star Trek, so I don't see why it has to be in the title.  The whole idea of a "family name", I dunno, to me, it's just a creative TV show that I love too watch, especially when I don't watch much TV.  To me, the name "Enterprise" sounds far better than "Star Trek Enterprise".

Enterprise isn't Star Trek? Well TNG wasn't Star Trek either then, same with DS9 and Voyager. All of those were "Based on Star Trek".

Besides, we have already seen the definitions of the words, does Enterprise fit that description? Are they on a Trek to the Stars? Does Enterprise follow the Star Trek timeline? Does Enterprise use the same characters and races as Star Trek? Make no mistake about it, Enterprise is Star Trek (Star Trek the universe not TOS).

To be unable to see that is just completely baffling to me.

Here's a poll we did a couple of weeks or so back:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=4519

Also check out http://www.enterprise.com/

After 37 years, I just don't see why "Star Trek" needs to be in the title anymore.

So after 34 years if I have a child I should take my family name out of his or hers?

UPN Commits To 'Enterprise' Name Change

entitle.jpg

(Picture from TrekToday's Site)

As of tomorrow, Enterprise will officially become Star Trek: Enterprise.

In a memo sent today from UPN to its affiliates via its general manager and sales manager, Diane Kuri, Director of Communications and Operations, wrote, "We are pleased to announce that beginning Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2003, the official title for 'Enterprise' will become 'Star Trek: Enterprise.'"

"By formally changing the show's title, we will be able to further capitalize on and form a stronger connection to the famous and highly successful 'Star Trek' franchise," the memo added.

As previously reported, UPN had already changed the show's name for marketing and publicity purposes.

The note did not state whether the show's credits would be changed to reflect the change in title. StarTrek.com still lists the show as just Enterprise. However, a screen capture from an advance tape of the show reflects the change.

Thanks to Zack for passing on the original memo. Thanks to Matt for the image.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/230903_01.shtml

Master Q

seeing the name pop up like that in tonights episode was actually pretty cool. i guess after all it was about time. i never thought much about it, itll actually seeing in "print". but ill always still just call it enterprise.

Personaly it dosen't bother me one iota..In order to increase their ability to sell the show the added value of "star trek" should help to snag those people who have refused to watch trek since the others all ended.

I am royally ticked off with the name change. :bow:

whats the big deal to be ticked off? all they did was add startrek which we all knew it was. they didnt change the name. just an addition. :blink:

Sign in to follow this