Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Teen Clocked At 142 MPH, Cops Say

Teen Clocked at 142 MPH, Police Say

AP

VALPARAISO, Ind. (Dec. 12) - A teenager charged with driving 142 mph along a four-lane divided highway said he was speeding home so his parents wouldn't be mad at him for being late, police said.

Brandon D. Raap, 16, faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended, police said.

Porter County sheriff's deputies stopped Raap along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 at 12:40 a.m. Saturday after a radar gun clocked his 2004 Subaru Impreza going almost 90 mph faster than the posted 55 mph limit, police said.

It might be the fastest speed ever recorded on the northwestern Indiana county's roads, said Porter County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Emmons.

"Most people's cars won't go that fast," he said.

Raap told police he was late getting home and didn't want his parents to be angry, Deputy John Brubaker said in his report. Raap told Brubaker he didn't have a curfew but is usually home by midnight.

Brubaker didn't arrest Raap, who had a valid Colorado license, but told him to drive straight home and call him within an hour. Raap's mother, Cindy Raap, called instead and Brubaker told her what happened.

The Associated Press left a message with Raap's parents at their home in Valparaiso seeking comment. They declined to comment when contacted by the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

"Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy."

The highway has two lanes in each direction, divided by a median, and traffic is usually light that time of night, Emmons said.

I did the exact same thing when I was 16 and used the exact same excuse... :assimilated:

The only difference was that I was only doing 120 mph......

I didn't think a Subaru Impreza could go that fast, the only Impreza I know that could is the WRX or WRX STI versions. My car's top speed is a measly 105 mph.

:assimilated: to the teen and

:P :P :) B) :) to Kor

I agree with Odie and TUH. Such excessive speeding should be punished and his driving privledges should be suspended, either by the state or by his parents!

:assimilated: to the teen and

:P :P :) B) :) to Kor

Cmon...give me a break! I was 16 and stupid. I haven't been caught....er...um...I mean...I haven't had a ticket in years!......... :nono:

wow...fastest I've ever gone is 92mph (or 150 km/h, for us aussies!).

Thats insane!

Granted too...I was doing that speed for 5 minutes down our country highway (and thats a big straight stretch of semi-sealed road....with towns 5 hours apart!).

Admittedly, most of us do dumb stuff at that age. I was in a car with someone who was briefly racing another car on a bridge at that age. But that was the first and last time that happened! And it was ONLY about 80 mph. - but still stupid.

I got pulled over in Kenosha County for doing 110 on I-94, but I got out of the ticket because I was in uniform and had my Military Police badge. The officer gave me a warning, and told me next time I feel the need to travel that fast I need to be in a cruiser with the lights going. I was coming back from Milwaukee during a drill weekend, and it was late at night. if the road is straight and relatively smooth, it's easy to get up over the 100 mark and not notice it.

Edited by Gary_Phaserman

Consider yourself very lucky, I got popped in speed trap city (Santa Barbara) doing 70 in a 55 which was flat, straight, in broad daylight and also very deserted, 'cept for the cop and I. :laugh:

:( to the teen and

:lol: :hug: :P :( :( to Kor

Cmon...give me a break! I was 16 and stupid. I haven't been caught....er...um...I mean...I haven't had a ticket in years!......... :laugh:

Hmmm... Me thinks Kor has been leaning on the gas a little to much...

Those who have boasted about the high speeds they had once attained were fortunate not to experience the a common enough consequence of inexperienced drivers going at high speed: death, paralysis, or disfugurement.

It happens enough where one would hope that the parents had the sense to take that young man's license away for awhile. This needs to be more than a news story and a record set (records are made to be broken....sooner or later there will be another story about a young man not so lucky).

I agree with Odie and TUH.

Just last year three freshmen students from my school were killed in an auto accident because the driver was speeding and lost control. Three young lives that were just beginning, now over.

Consider yourself very lucky, I got popped in speed trap city (Santa Barbara) doing 70 in a 55 which was flat, straight, in broad daylight and also very deserted, 'cept for the cop and I. :yucky:

To the kids who just got their licenses: Speeding is bad.

To the adults: Deserted straight-aways are bad. Even Military Police do traffic enforcement training. Some Military bases are HUGE, and have long, flat stretches of road. I know some MPs and Civilian cops who call a single car on a deserted road a Target. You're by yourself, Noone else out here, who's gonna see you flying through at a buck twenty? Answer, the cop hiding behind the bush.

Also, I'm going to let everyone in on a trade secret: Radar detectors really do pick up all sorts of police radars, and even a good number of Military Fire Control radars, as well as other kinds. Here's the problem. Radar Detectors are passive sensors. they only go off when they come in contact with the radar's emmissions. What does that mean? Well, it basically means that a Radar detector is a warning that says "you're busted." if the detector is going off, it means, in all likelyhood, that you've already been tagged.

Radar Detectors are passive sensors. they only go off when they come in contact with the radar's emmissions. What does that mean? Well, it basically means that a Radar detector is a warning that says "you're busted." if the detector is going off, it means, in all likelyhood, that you've already been tagged.

That is true if you are the only one on the road. However, if you are on a highway with other cars, the radar detector will let you know if cars ahead of you are being tagged therefeore giving you a chance to slow down before being tagged yourself.