Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

The Trill - plot discrepancies

Sorry, I dont' remember episodes by name - but I remember the episode where Beverly fell in love with a trill. At this point they were considered an anomoly - no one had heard of them, they couldn't use transporters, and could transfer hosts temporarily etc.

Then on DS9 Trills seem to have a long history with Star Fleet and use transporters etc.

How do you make this TNG ep "fit" with the future version of the Trill?

Thats a tough one. The Trill in the TNG episode is completely different both in looks and limitations than the ones on DS9. I guess it falls under the same category as the Klingon ridge issue.

The episode was season 4's The Host. The official response for the difference between the TNG Trill and the DS9 Trill is that there are two species living together on Trill which are both called Trill.

Accepting that, it is possible that the DS9 Trill outnumber the TNG Trill and have had more contact with the Federation.

Odan was an Ambassador so it is possible that the Federation had long been aware of the two types of Trill but those on the Enterprise had only previously met DS9 Trill so they were unfamiliar with the differences between the two.

I think it would have been interesting if DS9 would have had a TNG Trill as a guest so the descrepancy could have been explained.