Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Betazoid names, too Human sounding?

Today I was thinking about how Human Betazoid names seem.

I cannot think of any Ziods which had a truly alien sounding name. Do you?

Lwaxana & even Tam Ebram (SP?-Tinman) sound somehow Earthy to me.

I wonder why (if true) the producers chose to give Betaziods such Human sounding names?

Do many species have more Human sounding names than I am currently remembering? *hic*

True, but betazoids also look Human, there wasn't much imagination put into their species at all.

The only answer I can give is that maybe their names are more exotic sounding when spoken in Betazoid but sound more like Earth names once they go through the universal translator.

True, but betazoids also look Human, there wasn't much imagination put into their species at all.

I totally agree. Even the term "betazoid" sounds more like the name of a Transformer then an alien race from Star Trek. When TNG first aired I wondered if there would later be introduced "alphazoids" and "Gammazoids". I guess the Governor of California is a "deltoid"? :blink:

In fact there's no reason why Betazoid names should NOT sound earthly at all - Remember that there are Romulan names who sound cardassian + reverse - just to name one case.

As well you cant clearly say "Every name beginning with S, ending on K is automatically Vulcan." you can't just pic one 'sound' and say "This is terran" , or "This is betazoid" - Regarding that most cultures will have evolved from countless languages to some, translated by an UT, I think similar sounding names are pure chance - as well as similar sounding words and names in different languages are here on earth ^^

(YES, the Betazoids ARE unimaginative <_< )

Well, this species is realy very human... but I think the "Why not" by Anomaly is as good as Takara_Soongs translatortheory. Mybe there names are so complax that the Translators chance them to somethink more familiar...

But: Who cares! ;-)

I rather don't think Betazoid names for example can be too compicated for humans to spell - You can learn any word ans sound, you are physically able to produce.

Because Betzazoids and Humans (And most of the other weekly aliens ^^) are more or less akin of even equal in anatomy, there won't be such a great difference in the 'produced sounds', (some species surely, but not in ALL cases) to make it strange enough to make it unpronounceable.

I rather don't think Betazoid names for example can be too compicated for humans to spell - You can learn any word ans sound, you are physically able to produce.

Because Betzazoids and Humans (And most of the other weekly aliens ^^) are more or less akin of even equal in anatomy, there won't be such a great difference in the 'produced sounds', (some species surely, but not in ALL cases) to make it strange enough to make it unpronounceable.

Well that sounds realistic...

I think it was some typical: "lets her make a telepath - no humens aren't able to do this... lets create a new Alienspecies!" when they created TNG and the result was what we knew now as Betazoids!

Edited by John Doe

Today I was thinking about how Human Betazoid names seem.

I cannot think of any Ziods which had a truly alien sounding name. Do you?

Lwaxana & even Tam Ebram (SP?-Tinman) sound somehow Earthy to me.

I wonder why (if true) the producers chose to give Betaziods such Human sounding names?

Do many species have more Human sounding names than I am currently remembering? *hic*

I love the Betazoids...Lwaxana Troi is my GODDESS. :P

As far as human-sounding names, I think the Bajorans have some very human-sounding names (Kira and Leeta in particular). M'Pella not so much. :P