Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Parents Name Child "ESPN"

Sports Fan Names Newborn Son 'ESPN'

BILOXI, Miss. (Oct. 7) - Leann Real promised her husband, an avid sports fan, that if they ever had a son he'd get to pick the name. ESPN Montana Real was born this week at Biloxi Regional Medical Center.

Rusty Real, of D'Iberville, chose ESPN (pronounced Espen) after the sports network and Montana after football legend Joe Montana.

Baby ESPN isn't alone.

Three others were cited in a 2005 report on tivocommunity.com about the network's 25th anniversary. They are Espn Malachi McCall in Pampa, Texas; Espn Curiel in Corpus Christi, Texas; and Espn Blondeel in Michigan.

"We were the talk of the hospital," Rusty Real said. "The nurses kept asking my wife if she was really going to let her husband name him ESPN. She said, 'Oh, yes."'

I just hate it when parents give their kids goofy names with absolutely no regard to the ridicule they will be subjecting their kids to....

:)

a lot of celebrities do the same. Penn, from Penn and Teller, named his child Moxy Crimefighter. Jason Lee's son's name is Pilot Inspektor and I believe it is spelled that way

This is why pre-nups were invented, people. Ladies, this is the scenario you'll want to avoid. Gentlemen, look at the celebrity that named her daughter "Brooklyn"---which would have worked had it been "Brooke-Lynn" or with Lynn as a middle name, but nooooooooooooooo......

:) Sometimes I reallllly wonder about people, celebrity or not.

I can get people naming children after a famous sports figure (like Montana, I did not mind that part), and depending on the name of the town, island or city that might not be so bad (like part of my screenname is also a part of the Isle of Skye, that can also be doubled as a name so it is not too bad, IMO. And I would name a daughter of mine Skye, or at least as a middle name....that is if I ever do have kids.)

I mean, I live in NE Florida... and I would totally feel bad for a child if their parents decided to name him or her after a certain town. THink of it, a child named "Spuds". There are quite a few cities and towns and islands that all should probably NOT be used as names, but people still press on and have it added to a birth certificate.

But some of these really need to have been thought about more before committing to a name like these, or even a few appearing in baby name books.

Parents also need to really think about their kids' initials too... At the risk of getting this thread thrown into Kronos, I will not elaborate. But, I am sure many of you can bring certain phrases down to initials(that could get this thread into Kronos) and then really begin to feel for these kids.

Nicknames, well those are a WHOLE different subject and those often ARE meant to either build a reputation or really destroy one. So can't really put those on the same level as given names.

On a few occasions people around me (in class, at work, etc) got to discussing strange names and these come up a lot it seems: Orange Jello & Lemon Jello (yes as in the gelatin, but pronounced a bit differently).

Then there are the weather kids: Breezy, Rainy, Windy. Wendy I can see, but Windy?