Sign in to follow this  
Validus

Battlestar Galactica Season Three!

Season Three of the best science fiction show currently on television (sorry Stargate fans, its only the truth) will kick off tonight on the sci-fi channel.

Don't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

That was a great season opener! I just started watching it recently when Sci-fi had an all day showing. Love seeing Lucy Lawless.

I've never been able to get into either BG or Stargate. I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of Stargate. I watched about half of the first season of BG when it first came out and got bored with it. I've tried to like these shows. I really have! I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps I've lost my sci-fi credibility......... :)

Well- BSG is a very different show when compared to Star Trek. I think Star Trek has essentially a very rosey view of the future, and that's alright (its one of the things I like about it) but BSG takes a much darker view and that is only to be expected.

The Enterprise (pick a letter) is on a mission of exploration, and that is not the case at all with the Galactica. The Galactica is on a mission of pure survival and nothing more. The human race has been pretty much wiped out and there are only a little less then 50,000 people left.

I think it is interesting that in the first two seasons of BSG the humans have not once encountered alien life...as it is they have enough difficulty finding water (as was explored in Season 1).

The humans in Star Trek seem far more intelligent and reasonable then humans living in the real world, and this is what one finds in BSG.

Holy Hell, that was an awsome season premire. Two hours too! :)

I swear, everytime I watch this show, I love it even more!!

And I am a big Stargate Fan too, but BSG is the best Current sci-fi show, IMO. :)

I can't wait to see next weeks so we can find out what happened to the prisnors.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
We know Roslyn survives atleast. I hope Zarek did too.

I've never been able to get into either BG or Stargate. I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of Stargate. I watched about half of the first season of BG when it first came out and got bored with it. I've tried to like these shows. I really have! I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps I've lost my sci-fi credibility......... :)

I tried to watch BG season premiere but I fell asleep in the middle of it. I am so glad the Sci-fi Channel played on the weekend and during that day.

Like Babylon-5, Battlestar Galactica (BSG) is a show that is written like a very large novel and each episode is like a chapter. If you jump in at the middle, you'll feel lost. I suggest you rent the first two seasons from Netflicks.com or from Hollywood/Blockbuster video...it's too good to pass up. You can also get a shortened version called "The story so far" on Cable if you go to the menu option called "The Cutting Edge" on Comcast.

And if you do rent the first 2 seasons, be sure ya get the Mini-Series!

And just a reminder to everyone, New Battlestar Galactica Tonight! :)

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I watched the mini series that started the new series and I watched the entire first season (other than the parts I fast forwarded through) and I could never get to like this show.

But I would definitely say start with the mini series and catch up on the first two seasons rather than jumping in.

That's kind of how I was with Farscape - I tried watching it and I was so clueless I gave up.

My life is too stressful I don't need more darkness - I'm more of a Eureka fan at this point.

Good episode tonight. And I gotta admit, I alwasy get teared up just alittle bit whenever they play that music. You know the one. :)

I know...it just breaks your heart! :)

Well..actually...I get happy tears....are we talking about the same music? :)

I was thinking about the music that plays over the opening credits. It just seems so very forlorn. One cannot help but get a sense of the tragic elements and themes in the show.

Ah ok..I like that music too.

But what I was referiing to..I guess you could call it their victoru music. They've played Variarions of it throughout the show.

Example: "Hand Of God" Apollo blows the Cylon tilium refinery. Big Celebration on the hanger deck.

Wow!!!

Well lets see...the Pegasis is frakkin gone! Colonel Tigh's wife bought the farm, and the humans managed through shear luck and planning to get off New Caprica...

-and they even managed to wipe out no less then three Cylon basestars. Not bad I'd say. :P

I do not care for Battlestar Galactica. I watched the first season, but stopped second season. Now the only time I see it is if I fall asleep watching the Scifi channel, and wake up and find it on, and fail to find the channel changer......

I started watching the new BSG first as a mini-series till up to missing the second year finale (was out of the Country at the time on Holidays) but have seen most of year 3 eps including the 3rd year opener I watch it on Space at 9 P.M Saturdays.

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

In case all of you BG fans may be interested, your favorite female Cylon is in Playboy this month!.. :laugh:

I do not care for Battlestar Galactica. I watched the first season, but stopped second season. Now the only time I see it is if I fall asleep watching the Scifi channel, and wake up and find it on, and fail to find the channel changer......

So-

you hate good writing, good characterization, compelling plots, top notch actors and film quality special effects...yes? :dots:

So-

you hate good writing, good characterization, compelling plots, top notch actors and film quality special effects...yes? :dots:

I don't think that MJ hates those things. The problem is that BG doesn't HAVE most of those things. Special effects?.....yeah...I guess those are good....

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

[Takes a deep breath]

*Ahem*

So, Kor37, I'm wondering what it is exactly you don't like about Battlestar Galactica. Be specific please.

Edited by Validus

Let me start by saying that I was a huge fan of the original Battlestar Galactica series and own every episode on dvd. I was really looking forward to the new series. However, besides the name, this series has no resemblence at all to Battlestar Galactica. I hate the fact that they took familiar characters and made them female. I can't get around the fact that a species that has been in space for quite some time never developed laser or phaser type weapons. I really tried to watch this show. I watched the first 6 episodes and was hard pressed to stay awake. I guess, IMO, besides the things I already mentioned, this series is just......boring. I feel its a real snoozefest. But thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't ignore the fact that a lot of people do seem to like the show. Good for them. A lot of people like Stargate but I don't like that show either.

I just wonder how Star Trek would be received if they rebooted the series and it starred Captain Jamie Kirk with Dr. Lenora McCoy? What if the Enterprise had missles instead of phasers?

If you don't mind my saying so, I think your making the same mistake a lot of people make. I'm 39 years old and I once loved Battlestar Galactica, until I too bought the original on DVD and saw it for what it really was...a cheap knock off of Star Wars with none of the wit or charm that George Lucas put into the original (now "Episode 4").

Let's not forget that the original Battlestar was also a failed television show that only lasted one season and also didn't really have the courage to follow its premise to its logical conclusion.

The new Battlestar is far grimmer and more adult in content as it should be, after all it is about the end of the world(s). I'm also wondering if the themes in it make you uncomfortable, such as the humans being pagans and the cylons being monotheists (like yourself).

If you put your feelings of nostalgia aside I think you will find that you've been missing the best science fiction show on television since Babylon-5...currently in its third season. They even gave Richard Hatch a role and have Glen Larson (the original series creator) as a producer on the show.

I understand the reasons why many people like the show. I also figured out that the original was a Star Wars rip-off the minute I watched the premiere all those years ago. As for the humans being pagans and the cylons being monotheists, I had no idea. I guess I didn't watch enough episodes to pick that up. However, for me, the show is still boring. It moves at an incredibly slow pace (at least the episodes that I saw did). I can't watch a show that puts me to sleep. I tried to like this show. I wanted to like this show. I really did!..

A quick note first: The spoiler tags are currently OOO but please, (and this can apply everywhere on the site) place the spoiler tags on spoilers anyway. That way browsers will know what not to read and 2) when the spoilers tags are functioning again the spoilers will be automatically hidden. Thanx!

I didn't like it at first but I warmed up to, now I like it fine, very much for the same reasons as stated.

I'll be honest, my first opinions of it were tainted by the idea of Moore heading it up, I'd rather he been doing something for Trek instead but I grew out of that selfishness.

I own through season two and am nearing the end of season 1 in viewings.