Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

New Scott Bakula Interview

Star Trek actor Scott Bakula has answered your questions for our coverage of the series' 40th anniversary.

Bakula, 51, played Captain Jonathan Archer in the most recent Star Trek TV series, Star Trek: Enterprise.

Presented as a prequel to the original Star Trek television series, the programme ran from 2001 until 2005.

US actor Bakula had previously starred in TV series Quantum Leap and had a cameo role in the Oscar-winning film American Beauty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warrick Jones, Christchurch, New Zealand: Who did you base the character of Jonathan Archer on, if anyone? Did William Shatner's role as Captain Kirk influence you much?

Scott Bakula: The character wasn't based on anyone in particular, but Shatner influenced me tremendously; I am a huge fan of his.

Linda, Melbourne, Australia: As an actor, is it a scary prospect to become part of the Star Trek franchise? There is the incredible fame, but the fan base is so bizarre compared to other shows.

Scott Bakula: Not at all. The fans have been great and the opportunity to be the first captain outweighed everything.

Joanne Emig, Pennsylvania, USA: I was impressed that Captain Archer had real hardcover books in his quarters on the Enterprise. What books do you think were important enough to Archer that he carried them into space with him? Also, what do you yourself like to read when you have the time?

Scott Bakula: Captain Archer read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (in French) and Time Machine by H.G. Wells, to name a few. When I have the time, I like to read the sports page!

Martin Cain, Manchester, UK: How did you feel when found out that Star Trek: Enterprise was to be taken off the air?

Scott Bakula: Great disappointment! I felt that we were really hitting our stride as a show and that we were poised to make a greater impact on the franchise.

Brett Anderson, Melbourne, Australia: There has been a lot of talk about the final episode of Enterprise, many actors and fans were very unhappy with it. What were your thoughts on it?

Scott Bakula: It is very difficult to write a final episode of any series and even more difficult to please everyone. It was a pleasure to have Jonathan and Marina on set. They were very positive and very supportive of our series. Ultimately, nobody is happy because it is the final episode and you are being cancelled... so that overshadows everything.

Daniel Newman, Cheltenham, UK: Now that Star Trek has reached 40 do you think that it might have a mid-life crisis and fade to grey or be reborn in the form of a new series?

Scott Bakula: I think the franchise has been so important to Paramount for so many years that there will be, or already is, an effort to keep it going.

Bruno Teixeira, Porto, Portugal: How influential and decisive do you think Quantum Leap was for your career?

Scott Bakula: Quantum Leap gave me a huge opportunity as an actor. The nature of the role and it's demands allowed people to perceive me as a versatile actor and the wide success of the show around the planet gave me a certain notoriety that helped me get other work.

Indie, Jakarta, Indonesia: As an actor who has played in 2 sci-fi series, are you not a bit worried that you will be typecast?

Scott Bakula: No. I've done a lot of work other than sci-fi and between half-hour comedy, stage, and various movie roles, I've really tried to avoid being typecast.

Miles NG, UK: How did you become involved in American Beauty? It's not the type of movie I would normally expect you to appear in.

Scott Bakula: I went to a meeting and met Sam Mendes, the director. He hired me and I was thrilled as it was one of the best scripts I have ever read (courtesy of Alan Ball).

David Cowan, Glasgow, Scotland: Have you ever or would you ever star in a Production in the West End, and who would you like to play?

Scott Bakula: I have been offered a few shows in the West End, but have not been able to appear due to scheduling, etc... I hope to play there someday. I'd love to do La Mancha there, or Sweeney Todd.

Paul Smith, Larnaca, Cyprus: Are there any plans to resurrect either Enterprise or Quantum Leap, given the regular rumours that both are due to return either as TV movies or features?

Scott Bakula: None that I know of.

Darren Vine, Warwick, UK: After your experience on Star Trek has it made you want to have your ashes to be cast into space like the late James 'Scotty' Doohan?

Scott Bakula: I haven't really thought about where to scatter my ashes, when the time comes, but I doubt that it would be in space.