Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Anna Nicole Smith's Son Dies Suddenly

NASSAU, Bahamas - The 20-year-old son of Anna Nicole Smith has been found dead in the Bahamas, where the former reality TV star and Playboy playmate gave birth to a baby girl days earlier.

Authorities had not determined what caused the death of Daniel Wayne Smith, whose body was found Sunday morning, said Robin Bonnema, a spokeswoman for Trimspa, the diet products company that has been endorsed by Smith. Bonnema had no other details, and calls to Smith's lawyer, Howard K. Stern of Santa Monica, Calif., were not immediately returned.

Bonnema declined to provide details, saying only that Smith died "in his bed."

A statement on Smith's Web site said the son died suddenly.

"We have yet to learn the cause of death but do not believe that drugs or alcohol were a factor," the statement said. "Anna Nicole is absolutely devastated by the loss of her son. He was her pride and joy and an amazing human being."

Walter Evans, a spokesman for the Royal Bahamian Police Force, would say only that the son of an undisclosed celebrity had been found in a room of the private Doctor's Hospital in Nassau.

Anna Nicole Smith, 38, gave birth to a healthy 6 pound, 9 ounce girl at the hospital on Thursday, her Web site said.

Her son had traveled to the Caribbean country "to share in the joy of his baby sister," the statement said. "Please do not make any press inquiries at this time so that Anna Nicole can grieve in peace."

Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994, when she was 26 and he was 89. He died the following year. In March, the Supreme Court upheld Smith's right to a bequeathment of $474 million, though legal battles with Marshall's son, Pierce Marshall, have continued.

Daniel Smith had small roles in her movies "Skyscraper" and "To the Limit." He also appeared several times on the E! reality series "The Anna Nicole Show."

Bonnema said she did not know the name of Daniel Smith's father or that of the baby girl

No matter what you may think of Anna Nicole Smith, the loss of a child is surely devestating. She has my sincere sympathy for her loss.

That is rough, to have one on thursday only to lose the other 3 days later. Sympathies. I would be finished in that situation.

Man oh man.

I'm sick of all these deaths.

1) Steve Irwin

2) Peter Brock (Aussie race care hero)

3) King of Tonga

4) Anna Nicole Smith's son

Jesus Christ

And that was all with 8 days.

UPDATE:

Anna Nicole Smith 'Tried to Wake' Her Son

Tuesday Sep 12, 2006 7:50am EST

By Stephen M. Silverman

Daniel and Anna Nicole Smith

CREDIT: INF

Sunday's death of Anna Nicole's Smith's 20-year-old son, Daniel Smith, continues to be investigated in the Bahamas, where the young man was found sitting upright in a chair after going to see his mother and his new half-sister in the private Doctors' Hospital in Nassau.

"The deceased, who had been visiting in the hospital, was supposedly asleep in the chair in the room and didn't seem to wake up," Reginald Ferguson, assistant commissioner of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, told reporters.

"It would appear from our report that the mother had gotten up, saw him in the chair and he appeared to be sound asleep. She tried to wake him up, he was unresponsive and she sounded the alarm. … Doctors were called to check him and he was subsequently pronounced dead," Ferguson said.

A post-mortem examination is due to yield a likely explanation for the death, said Ferguson, stating, "We are waiting the report from the pathologist to help us conclude what the cause of death was."

Asked if drugs or alcohol may have played a role, he said, "I don't have any information which suggests any of those things. (But) it's a matter that's being investigated and we have not closed the door as such on anything."

He also said, "The preliminary investigation showed there were no visible injuries to the body, no sign of any violence in that room of any nature – nothing there to suggest what may be the cause of death."

Smith, who on Thursday gave birth to a 6 lb., 9 oz. girl, has not yet been interviewed about her son's death, said Ferguson, citing her current physical and psychological fragility, but she will be.

"This is her son who was in her room in the hospital," said Ferguson. "I would imagine that would be pretty traumatic."

Ferguson's account, however, somewhat conflicts with a statement from a spokeswoman for TrimSpa, a diet pill endorsed by the formerly zaftig Playboy Playmate. Rather than placing Daniel in a chair in the hospital, the statement says he "had been found not breathing, in bed" Sunday morning and had "visited Anna and his new half-sister the night before he passed away," the New York Daily News reports.

The new baby's father is believed to be Smith's recent ex-boyfriend, celebrity photographer Larry Birkhead, who claimed paternity last June, the Daily News reports. In October 2005, Smith had told the Louisville Courier Journal, "Larry keeps me occupied so I don't have to worry about being lonely anymore."

In a message on his Web site, Birkhead wrote: "I have absolutely no comment on the reports of a childbirth" or "any other events."

Daniel's father is Smith's first husband, Billy Smith, whom she divorced in 1987.

Wow!. This is even worse than first reported. This poor kid actually died sitting in a chair in his mother's hospital room! They have now reported that he died of a massive heart attack but the cause is as yet unknown. I can't stand Anna Nicole Smith but my heart goes out to her over this.

Smith's son's death suspecious

NASSAU, Bahamas - The death of Anna Nicole Smith's 20-year-old son was termed "suspicious" Wednesday by the coroner's office, which scheduled a formal inquiry that could lead to criminal charges.

Authorities said at least one other person was in the hospital room when Daniel Wayne Smith died Sunday while visiting his mother, a reality TV star and former Playboy playmate, three days after she gave birth to a baby girl.

The person was not a member of the hospital staff, Reginald Ferguson, assistant commissioner of the Royal Bahamian Police Force, told The Associated Press. He refused to reveal the person's identity, saying he did not want to jeopardize the investigation.

Her Majesty's Coroner Linda P. Virgill scheduled the inquest for the week of Oct. 23, saying it "is the right course of action." If jurors at the inquest decide a crime took place, the case would be sent to the attorney general's office, authorities said.

"Whenever there is a suspicious death we would have an inquest to determine how the person died," Bradley Neely, chief inspector of the coroner's office, told AP Television News.

Virgill said the autopsy and toxicology reports will not released until the inquest, which will be open to the public.

"It would not be fair to the Bahamian public simply because we need to take our jurors from that pool and you do not wish to contaminate them," she told reporters.

If jurors at the inquest decide a crime took place, the case will then be sent to the attorney general's office, authorities said.

Virgill said authorities believe they know what killed Smith. She said there was no sign of physical injury to Smith.

"I can confirm that there was definitely a third person in the room at the time of death and I do know who that person is," Virgill said. "But I am unwilling to reveal that information at this time for various reasons."

Michael Scott, a Bahamian attorney for Anna Nicole Smith, dismissed media reports that her son had antidepressants or other drugs in his system.

"It's sheer speculation. It's irresponsible speculation, may I point out," he told reporters.

Scott said Anna Nicole Smith was in seclusion in the Bahamas with family and friends "as you would expect any parent who sustained this kind of loss."

Police were reconstructing Smith's steps since his arrival Saturday in the Bahamas, Ferguson said.

Ferguson told the AP that no drug paraphernalia or traces of illegal drugs were found on Daniel Smith, in the hospital room or near the room.

Police believe Smith went directly to Doctors Hospital in Nassau, where his mother was, after flying in to the Bahamas, Ferguson said.

Daniel Smith was the son of Anna Nicole and Bill Smith, who married in 1985 and divorced two years later. The son had small roles in her movies "Skyscraper" and "To the Limit." He also appeared several times on the E! reality series "The Anna Nicole Show."

Anna Nicole Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994, when she was 26 and he was 89. He died the following year.

She then feuded with Marshall's son, Pierce Marshall, over her entitlement to the tycoon's estate before he died in June at age 67.

Smith won a $474 million judgment, which was cut to about $89 million, and eventually reduced to zero. In May, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Smith could continue to pursue her claim in federal courts in California, despite a Texas state court ruling that Marshall's youngest son was the sole heir.