Sign in to follow this  
trekz

What are your thoughts on the 40th anniversary of TOS?

Feelings about the 40th Anniversary of Star Trek  

50 members have voted

1. 1. I want Star Trek to continue forever

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Star Trek will gradually become less popular

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not sure
  3. 3. Star Trek needs a break from TV series for a few years

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not sure
  4. 4. Star Trek will continue on in books, comics, fan fiction but movies and TV shows will stop being made

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not sure
  5. 5. Star Trek will live forever in Movies, TV, Books, Comics, Fan fiction, etc.

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not sure

Having lived long enough to have watched Star Trek the original series (TOS) in real time, and all the movies, and the subsequent series, and having read many comics, books, etc., I have a variety of thoughts about this anniversary. But I want to hear yours. How do you feel, on this major anniversary, about the original show, the actors, Gene Roddenbery, the franchise today, etc.? I'll try to include a poll, but most of all I'd like to hear from other fans. Will you celebrate this weekend and this year, or have you already done so?

The original series is a classic. It is my second favorite series of Star Trek after ENT. When you compare it to other TV series of that time, you could tell that there was something special about it. I watch episodes today and I'm amazed how it has been able to not age since the day it first premiered on TV. Of course, the special effects are definitely out dated, but I'm refering to the stories and the struggles and the friendships. The things that make everyone human are just as real today as they were 40 years ago.

There is no question that Gene Roddenbery had a vision. Not only that, but he inspired countless people to accomplish countless things, all because of such an inspirational TV series called Star Trek. Many inventions, even today are still being invented that are based a Gene's ideas all because a small child watched Star Trek all the time and decided that's what he/she wanted to do with his or her life. In times of war and disease, it is nice to see a future where that is all in the past for the people of Earth. That AIDS and other life threating diseases can all be cured with a small pill or hypospray.

For reasons like these, Star Trek will always live forever in some way or form. We always want Trek to go on and on, and I have a good feeling it will. If the day comes that Trek is no longer on television or in the movie theater, it will survive by novels and other sources. Fans will continue their fan films and fan fictions. Something that has touched so many people, and continues to do so, in such a positive way can't die. It has inspired so much and has helped people in such a way that it can't be forgotten.

And 40 years today has proven that it hasn't been forgotten. How many TV series can say that 40 years after the series had been cancelled, it has more fans now than when it ended? Not too many.

Edited by Gamera

I was reminded of the anniversary from listening to my car radio early this morning. It brought up several memories and feelings. First off, it reminds me of how old I am......

Besides that, it brought back memories of a dear friend who I have not seen in years who originally told me about the show. He and I watched the first episode together at his Mom's house. Many childhood memories are floating around my head right now as many of them involved Trek. I remember riding a bus to New York with the same friend and his Mom to attend the 2nd ever Star Trek con ever held.

I also hope for the future. While I enjoy the novels a lot, I really look forward to a new series sometime in the future.

Well, today is the big day, folks. It is hard to believe that it is now 40 years since the first episode was shown. I was 11 at the time. Now I am 51. Boy does time fly when you are having fun. The best thing that ever happened to the series was being put on syndication by Kaiser Broadcasting (channel 48 in Philadelphia). The rest is history.

Bittersweet. Going to the Con, (even if we did get financially scalped there) the attention TVLand and others are giving Trek and looking forward to the release of the updated OS episodes is all sweet but not having any new Trek aired on TV or flashing on the bigscreen during this special time is bitter.

Though I know it's delay is for the best, I was also really hoping the shuttle would launch today.

EDIT: Poll answers:

Yes

Maybe, because of fan divisions.

No. It just needs an infusion of new talent creating it?

No. Unless the next movie bombs.

Hopefully, yes.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!

Edited by Alterego

I've been celebrating today by watching a lot of Trek episodes. So far today, I have seen

A Matter of Honor (TNG)

Sins of the Father (TNG)

Redemption Part 1 (TNG)

Spock's Brain (TOS)

This Side of Paradise (TOS)

and I plan to watch the four episodes on TV Land tonight. This entire weekend I will devote to watching Trek episodes. :P

Bittersweet. Going to the Con, (even if we did get financially scalped there) the attention TVLand and others are giving Trek and looking forward to the release of the updated OS episodes is all sweet but not having any new Trek aired on TV or flashing on the bigscreen during this special time is bitter.

Though I know it's delay is for the best, I was also really hoping the shuttle would launch today.

Yes

Hopefully, yes.

It is just the 70's all over again. I think the Trek episodes that are out there now speak for themselves. I believe Trek did best in syndication, like the TOS reruns in early 70s and TNG when it was released in the 80's. Trek will live again. Trust me. It just needs an overhaul.

Edited by Data

Scary that I can still remember not only the premiere but I remember as a child seeing the advertisements and thinking ooh I'm going to like this show. Either I don't remember much about being a kid or I was just a really smart kid. I remember being sad it was cancelled, ecstatic they made a movie, crying so hard I got a migraine when Spock died.

I miss TOS - while I have enjoyed all of the series - there is just something missing or changed since the first series. The truth is society has changed and the entertainment industry in general focuses more on form than substance. I'm not sure the new "owners" of Trek understand what it was the made Trek - Trek. I just think UPN was really bad for Trek - I don't think they tried to make it good - they tried to make it appeal to a group it wasn't intended for. So, I'm sorry I'm pessimistic but even if something continues with the name Trek on it - I'm not sure it will be the quality drama that we remember. I hope I'm wrong and I will check it out.

I will also do my best to get my young great nieces and nephews to watch it so maybe it will live forever.

Happy Birthday, Star Trek! Good to talk to my fellow Star Trek fans.

Star Trek will continue forever because of the fan base. Just look at places like StarTrekFans.net. The hundreds and hundreds of websites and message board communities out there is astonishing. Besides the show itself and watching it, I find it always interesting to observe, and be a part of, the community that has been built around Star Trek by its fans. And because of the Internet, this has been made oh so much more possible. (For an example of a new website that does this check my latest Q REPORT.)

Star Trek will not gradually become less popular, in my view. It is steady---for now. There will be periods of time where it will be in hiatus, but I don't see it becoming less popular. The fans won't allow this to happen. Again, go back to my paragraph above. It might not grow super fast—or anything like that, but it will probably grow gradually. See, what is happening in the media is decentralization. Star Trek will last forever because of it. Maybe, maybe it will not be as high as its glory days, but because the media is decentralizing, and so specializing, it will last.

Does Star Trek need a break from TV? I might be in the minority --- I don't know. But now that it is on its break from television, I think Star Trek should take a breather. I do think it needs a break. As long as the fan base keeps supporting the show and demanding a high quality program, it will go on. If the next movie is good and meets this, Star Trek will continue. . If not, it sill will keep on going but in a different way.

But really, and this--of course--goes back to my overall theme or point, can we say that Star Trek is on a break? Yes and no. From TV, yes. But the community of fans keeps it going. It goes on here on the Internet in different forms: fanfilms, fanfiction, role playing, etc.

Besides just me posting the normal stuff about the show and why so many people love it and how these reasons will make the show long remembered or how these reasons may keep the show going forever, another area it will be remembered is for the power of the fans. Star Trek's future is with the fans. I am sitting back and watching...It will be interesting to see where it goes and how everything plays out. Star Trek is a leading show in this decentralization. We are going where no man has gone before.

Edited by master_q

Forty years of history and I've only lived through half of it. I think Star Trek will live on forever bexause it stands for what he hope to become. Look at almost every future type Sci-Fi show and, most the time, humans mess up and things are wrose then they are now(hard to believe that, hu?), and it's up to a person or small group of people to fix it. Star Trek shows that if all us come together there is a chance we might be able to do more. The road there will have bumbs along the way, but once there who knows what we can do. This is one of the reasons I like Star Trek so much... it shows hope for the future even now with all the worrie in the world. Star Trek is a story of hope for mankind, but an idea of what we might become... and you can never kill an idea, at least a good one...

I bet Enterprise's 40th anniversary doesn't make the news :P

To the contrary, I have heard it on several newscasts today.

I talked about it on the radio show I'm on in Seattle Friday...

Well now that's just pushing your agenda. Shame on you!! <_< :wink2:

Well... they were asking me why I didn't go to the Seattle Con... they even were going to give me tickets to go for all three days and I didn't have to do anything for them, but I turned them down.

I talked about it on the radio show I'm on in Seattle Friday...

Well now that's just pushing your agenda. Shame on you!! <_< :wink2:

Well... they were asking me why I didn't go to the Seattle Con... they even were going to give me tickets to go for all three days and I didn't have to do anything for them, but I turned them down.

You turned down free tickets to the Seattle Con????

:blink: :blink: :blink:

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THAT?????

You turned down free tickets to the Seattle Con????

<_< :blink: :blink:

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THAT?????

I didn't have the money to get back and forth to the con, nor could I find a hotel in Seattle close by in my price range. Trust me... I already hate myself for turning it down. The ticket was for all three day, dinner on the Space Needle, and would have been my first con... Also, I chickened out...

The original series is a classic. ... When you compare it to other TV series of that time, you could tell that there was something special about it. I watch episodes today and I'm amazed how it has been able to not age since the day it first premiered on TV. Of course, the special effects are definitely out dated, but I'm refering to the stories and the struggles and the friendships. The things that make everyone human are just as real today as they were 40 years ago.

There is no question that Gene Roddenbery had a vision. Not only that, but he inspired countless people to accomplish countless things, all because of such an inspirational TV series called Star Trek. Many inventions, even today are still being invented that are based a Gene's ideas all because a small child watched Star Trek all the time and decided that's what he/she wanted to do with his or her life. In times of war and disease, it is nice to see a future where that is all in the past for the people of Earth. That AIDS and other life threating diseases can all be cured with a small pill or hypospray.

For reasons like these, Star Trek will always live forever in some way or form. We always want Trek to go on and on, and I have a good feeling it will. If the day comes that Trek is no longer on television or in the movie theater, it will survive by novels and other sources. Fans will continue their fan films and fan fictions. Something that has touched so many people, and continues to do so, in such a positive way can't die. It has inspired so much and has helped people in such a way that it can't be forgotten.

And 40 years today has proven that it hasn't been forgotten. How many TV series can say that 40 years after the series had been cancelled, it has more fans now than when it ended? Not too many.

Wonderful points, Gamera! There IS something special about Trek for so many people, including the inspiration it has given others. The Seattle convention this weekend featured the person who invented the cell phone, who says he was inspired by Star Trek! The padds used by UPS today seem inspired by Star Trek also. Fans will keep Trek alive and Yes! few TV series end up 40 years later with more fans then when they wer cancelled!!!

Yes

Hopefully, yes.

It is just the 70's all over again. I think the Trek episodes that are out there now speak for themselves. I believe Trek did best in syndication, like the TOS reruns in early 70s and TNG when it was released in the 80's. Trek will live again. Trust me. It just needs an overhaul.

Great points AE! I also feel bittersweet at times, with no Trek airing on TV. Having gone throuth this during the 1970's, it is painful to endure it again when it might have been avoided. At the Vegas Con, Scott Bakula stated his opinion that "Enterprise was on the wrong network!" To see it end for that reason is very frustrating.

Data, you make an excellent point that syndication did result in lots more fans that resulting in the rebirth of Star Trek, something we can all hope for!

Scary that I can still remember not only the premiere but I remember as a child seeing the advertisements and thinking ooh I'm going to like this show. Either I don't remember much about being a kid or I was just a really smart kid. I remember being sad it was cancelled, ecstatic they made a movie, crying so hard I got a migraine when Spock died.

I miss TOS - while I have enjoyed all of the series - there is just something missing or changed since the first series. The truth is society has changed and the entertainment industry in general focuses more on form than substance. I'm not sure the new "owners" of Trek understand what it was the made Trek - Trek. I just think UPN was really bad for Trek - I don't think they tried to make it good - they tried to make it appeal to a group it wasn't intended for. So, I'm sorry I'm pessimistic but even if something continues with the name Trek on it - I'm not sure it will be the quality drama that we remember. I hope I'm wrong and I will check it out.

I will also do my best to get my young great nieces and nephews to watch it so maybe it will live forever.

TUH, I also have "an emotional outburst," as they say on TOS, when I see Spock die, even today. Yes scoiety and the Television industry have changed. You focus on a crucial point that the new owners of Trek need to truly understand just what made Star Trek be Star Trek, and then focus on that! Your resolve to introduce Star Trek to the "next generation" of your family is a key to keeping it alive imo.

Happy Birthday, Star Trek! Good to talk to my fellow Star Trek fans.

Star Trek will continue forever because of the fan base. Just look at places like StarTrekFans.net. The hundreds and hundreds of websites and message board communities out there is astonishing. Besides the show itself and watching it, I find it always interesting to observe, and be a part of, the community that has been built around Star Trek by its fans. And because of the Internet, this has been made oh so much more possible. (For an example of a new website that does this check my latest Q REPORT.)

Star Trek will not gradually become less popular, in my view. It is steady---for now. There will be periods of time where it will be in hiatus, but I don't see it becoming less popular. The fans won't allow this to happen. Again, go back to my paragraph above. It might not grow super fast—or anything like that, but it will probably grow gradually. See, what is happening in the media is decentralization. Star Trek will last forever because of it. Maybe, maybe it will not be as high as its glory days, but because the media is decentralizing, and so specializing, it will last.

Does Star Trek need a break from TV? I might be in the minority --- I don't know. But now that it is on its break from television, I think Star Trek should take a breather. I do think it needs a break. As long as the fan base keeps supporting the show and demanding a high quality program, it will go on. If the next movie is good and meets this, Star Trek will continue. . If not, it sill will keep on going but in a different way.

But really, and this--of course--goes back to my overall theme or point, can we say that Star Trek is on a break? Yes and no. From TV, yes. But the community of fans keeps it going. It goes on here on the Internet in different forms: fanfilms, fanfiction, role playing, etc.

Besides just me posting the normal stuff about the show and why so many people love it and how these reasons will make the show long remembered or how these reasons may keep the show going forever, another area it will be remembered is for the power of the fans. Star Trek's future is with the fans. I am sitting back and watching...It will be interesting to see where it goes and how everything plays out. Star Trek is a leading show in this decentralization. We are going where no man has gone before.

master q, your insight is valuable as always! The proliferation of websites about Trek does indeed bode well for the franchise. Your point about decentralization is well taken. The emphasis on the crucial importance of the fan base is quite correct imo. Over and over the speakers (Stars, actors and behind the scenes personnel) at the Las Vegas and Chicago Cons thanked and credited the fans for their personal support and for supporting the series over the years. This is imo crucial. By continuing to keep alive Star Trek in a variety of ways, including the internet, we can indeed go where no Fan base has gone before!

I want to thank everyone who has commented and to encourage others to comment on this topic. Our mutual support of Trek and of each other is very important. Your comments have really meant a lot to me personally. I have celebrated this anniversary by attending the entire Con in Las Vegas. It was a great experience (for the most part) with the amazing performance of Shatner and Nimoy together being THE top highlight of any Trek convention I've ever attended. There were also many other wonderful moments there. The Chicago Con was fun too, but a letdown after the Vegas experience. I almost feel TREKed out, though I may just be CREATIONed out. I've watched lots of Trek marathons on TV! I have added extensively to my autograph collection this year. I have finally gotten TOS on DVD, just to discover it will soon be "improved," perhaps causing me to have to repurchase it!

My biggest hope and concern is that Trek fans "keep the faith" and remember the ideals and positive message of Star Trek. This was also mentioned by a number of Con speakers, whether they talked of inventions, liberty and human rights, the environment, or understanding and respecting our fellow man. May that be a great legacy of the 40th anniversary, that we all try, in our own small way, to move the postive, humane ideas of Trek forward and pass them on to others. (My thanks to all who read this entire post!) May we all, including Star Trek, Live LONG and Prosper!

Edited by trekz

I bet Enterprise's 40th anniversary doesn't make the news <_<

To the contrary, I have heard it on several newscasts today.

Star Trek Enterprise? I doubt a mention of their 40th is even possible until 2041.

It's time for a break.

Get some new, fresh minds at the helm & perhaps in 5-10 years a new TV show can be produced.

Let the hunger build.

Agreed, Athena. Star Trek is a great franchise, but it's all starting to wear out. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say. We need to let the engines cool down before a restart can be attempted safely. If we don't wait, it could blow up in our faces and kill us all.

I would like to clarify my opinion; there should be a break from official films and series. I strongly support the continuing of fan films, comics, and the like. However, I believe there should be some regulations to maintain continuity. Star Wars has a very definite cannon, whereas Star Trek has been a bit diluted by books which contradict each other, and the official creations. I have no specific examples, but a quick look through books available in Borders or some place like that will provide you will all the evidence I need to back my opinion. So, that's how I feel.