Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin is dead

Thats kind of a strange request. Will his wife and kids be subjected to having to view this over and over again? I surely hope not...

He said it as a joke in an interview a few years ago.

Excerpts from a recent news article about that comment:

In an interview with Associated Press Radio in 2002, he said: "If I'm going to die, at least I want it filmed ... If we blew a million dollars worth of cameras, at least we could have gone to MGM and gone, 'Hey, look at this tape.'"

He spoke with his usual humour and clearly had no idea what would happen four years later.

I hope the tape is never aired however it wouldn't surprise me to see it posted on the net at some point.

The meter is a little off in places, but the sentiment's there. Nicely done, Cara.

Yea I know. Thanks anyway.

Hi guys. I haven't been on in MONTHS!

Soz, been real busy.

Australia was crushed when we found this out.

It's like...

The whole country stopped.

I still can't believe it.

After many hours of searching, I've finally found closure.

I won't post the link here, but I got my hands on the video of Steve being killed.

Man oh man, let me tell ya something, you can always tell a persons personality the instant before their demise.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

On the clip, you see Irwin swimming above the ray. The ray seems to get aggitated and flips his tail into Irwin's chest.

The ray swims away and you see Steve (clear as day) wrestling to get the stinger out of his chest. He was alive for a total of 4 seconds before he died.

The very image of Steve struggling in the water to get that bloody thing outa his chest...

It really gives the sense of a man bigger than life.

We'll miss you Steve.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I think you should have put that in a spoiler or put a warning so people will know what they're about to read.

Shame, shame, shame on the person that leaked that. I hope they find the person that did it - it must have come from the police or coroner's office. If that thing is on the internet it will never go away and someday one of his children will come across it. That is a real lowlife to do that.

Shame, shame, shame on the person that leaked that. I hope they find the person that did it - it must have come from the police or coroner's office. If that thing is on the internet it will never go away and someday one of his children will come across it. That is a real lowlife to do that.

I agree completely. I love the internet but there are times, like this, when I hate it.

BTW, Manveru, I added the spoiler to your post.

Edited by Takara_Soong

woops, soz.

Yeah, it was a bit graphic.

Yeah, you're right, it's quite sadistic that someone would post it on the net without the families consent.

And more so since it's in high definition.

This incident really shows that the human race can really fall below the threshold of "inconsiderate"

His death was caught on tape. The Discovery Channel

Which owns aminal planet. Has said they will not release the tape

and under request form his manager are considering destroying

the tape.

I guess I am one of a very few who did not watch him much, but all the same, I feel badly for his wife and children. Yet I know they can still grow and thrive in spite of the loss. It brings back the death of my sister at 38, who left behind a six year old son. He was raised lovingly by his father and stepmother, and is a wonderful young man now. Stever Irwin's children, while they won't have him physically, will have a record of his life that few children who loose a parent have. And they will be watched over not only by a loving mother, but by caring contrymen who admired their father.

I didn't watch him much, but I do know about him. However, I do hope the video is released, simply because Steve Irwin himself had said that if he had ever been killed doing his job, he wanted it to be shown. But only after it clears, of course.

I didn't watch him much, but I do know about him. However, I do hope the video is released, simply because Steve Irwin himself had said that if he had ever been killed doing his job, he wanted it to be shown. But only after it clears, of course.

Like someone said that was a joke - if even half of what they say about what a stand up guy he was is true - then I think we can be sure he'd never want that circulating around and would never want his little kids or other family members to see it. This man loved his family - no one would seriously wish that on their family.

I have to say I lost a lot of faith in the human race when I saw a poll of how many people think this film should be released. I'm sorry but IMO it is truly perverse to want to watch someone die. There are better ways to get your thrills.

I admit he was the one celebrity that I actually admired and makes me sad that people would treat his death with such little respect.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

ah. Musta missed that part.

It was kinda obvious that someone would tape it, even if only inadvertently. Maybe forgetting to turn the camera off of whatever. I honestly wouldn't want to see it. I'd only support its release if that truly was his wish.

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

Just a little info on how gruesome a death this was. A brother of one of my employees accidently stepped on a ray while surf fishing. The barb stuck him in the foot. He said that it was the most painful thing that you could ever imagine. He went directly to the hospital. He was told that there was no antidote for this type of venom and he had to let it run its course. The venom actually halts the flow of blood to the injured area and deteriorates the tissue around it. He was given the maximum dose of morphine allowed to ease the pain and all it did was take the edge of the pain making it barely tolerable.For awhile, his leg from his knee down turned grey and he afraid he was going to lose his leg. After getting 2 weeks of anibiotic treatment, he was let out of the hospital. He had to walk with a cane for over a year . This was over 10 years ago and he still experiences pain in his foot today.

My condolences to his family and fans.

I wonder, I keep hearing that his statement of wanting his death to be shown if caught on tape was a joke but I've not seen nor heard evidence of that. What exactly is the evidence proving he was 'joking'?

Does a video or audio tape of those statements exist? If it does, I'd like to hear it and judge for myself. What If it really was his will it be shown, would not doing so dishonor him?

Either way, one thing I for sure want to be made aware of from the recording is: where exactly not to allow myself or anyone to become positioned over/around a stingray. That info will be extremely important for keeping this from ever happening again!!

I tried watching the Crocodile Hunter today, but I just couldn't. He truely was a remarkable man who loved what he was doing almost as much as he loved his family.

I just read where they had a private funeral for Irvin and plans are for him to be buried at the Australia zoo.

*pats Cara on the back*

Excellent wallpaper.

It's on my PC now. I'm gonna make it into a wallpaper for my phone and pocket PC.

Thanx for the link

What a beautiful poem... <_< It's very sad to hear that he has died. I will truly miss him.

For anyone who knows the "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" song by U2, I have written a tribute song to this. It is called A pain to the heart which symbolises his pain and also our pain of loosing him. What do you think of it?

Pain to the heart

You're dangerous, 'cause you're honest

You're daring, 'cause you know

What you want

Well you filled our hearts

Full of love and kindness

For any animal to see

Look at how big he is

Crikey!

You're an accident waiting to happen

You've got pain to the heat… after what the stingray did

Well you shown us things

We were supposed to know

Then you left us… with nothing to watch

Hey hey I got him down

Crikey it’s a big croc

Who’s gonna restle your precious crocs?

Who’s gonna climb with the monkeys?

Who’s gonna crawl with your tiny insects?

Who’s gonna feed the tiger cubs?

Well you fed them, 'cause they needed the food

And you saved them, 'cause they needed their life

Well you proved to us, 'cause we wanted to know

Steve, you entertained us so.

There he is, crocodile

Crikey he’s gone so fast

Who's gonna ride your elephants?

Who's gonna to bounce with kangaroos?

Who's gonna cuddle cute koala?

Who's gonna swim the Barrier Reef?

The deeper you swim

The stingray will swim ... towards your aussie skin

Took a dive in the Barrier Reef...

To a place where the waves calls your name

Under the waves the whales singing...

To you and me...

Pain to the heart, stringray's sharp barb

The blood you bleed...

You just can’t hold…

It’s a pain in your heart

Don't stop the beat in your aussie heart

Don't give up now, pain like a dart

Don't stop swimming and don't look back

Come on now Steve... Don't you look back

Who's gonna love your sea life?

Who's gonna fly way up high?

Who's gonna creep in the slient night?

Who's gonna take the place of you?

Who's gonna love your wild animals?

Who could tame the heart of cocs?

Really beautiful this one, Cara.

:blink:

UPDATE:

vBacklash Against Stingrays Since Irwin's Death

By MERAIAH FOLEY, AP

SYDNEY, Australia (Sept. 12) - At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.

Irwin died last week after a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.

Stingray bodies since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.

Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.

Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.

"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.

He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."

"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.

Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.

They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.

The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.

Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."

This is pretty ludicrous!

What a beautiful poem... <_< It's very sad to hear that he has died. I will truly miss him.

For anyone who knows the "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" song by U2, I have written a tribute song to this. It is called A pain to the heart which symbolises his pain and also our pain of loosing him. What do you think of it?

Pain to the heart

You're dangerous, 'cause you're honest

You're daring, 'cause you know

What you want

Well you filled our hearts

Full of love and kindness

For any animal to see

Look at how big he is

Crikey!

You're an accident waiting to happen

You've got pain to the heat… after what the stingray did

Well you shown us things

We were supposed to know

Then you left us… with nothing to watch

Hey hey I got him down

Crikey it’s a big croc

Who’s gonna restle your precious crocs?

Who’s gonna climb with the monkeys?

Who’s gonna crawl with your tiny insects?

Who’s gonna feed the tiger cubs?

Well you fed them, 'cause they needed the food

And you saved them, 'cause they needed their life

Well you proved to us, 'cause we wanted to know

Steve, you entertained us so.

There he is, crocodile

Crikey he’s gone so fast

Who's gonna ride your elephants?

Who's gonna to bounce with kangaroos?

Who's gonna cuddle cute koala?

Who's gonna swim the Barrier Reef?

The deeper you swim

The stingray will swim ... towards your aussie skin

Took a dive in the Barrier Reef...

To a place where the waves calls your name

Under the waves the whales singing...

To you and me...

Pain to the heart, stringray's sharp barb

The blood you bleed...

You just can’t hold…

It’s a pain in your heart

Don't stop the beat in your aussie heart

Don't give up now, pain like a dart

Don't stop swimming and don't look back

Come on now Steve... Don't you look back

Who's gonna love your sea life?

Who's gonna fly way up high?

Who's gonna creep in the slient night?

Who's gonna take the place of you?

Who's gonna love your wild animals?

Who could tame the heart of cocs?

Really beautiful this one, Cara.

:blink:

After reading that poem again and seeing my desktop I did in fact get a bit tearful :blink:

You guys will be happy to know Steve is getting a state memorial service and a permenant monument in Queensland (the state that i live in). He gave so much

UPDATE:

Tickets snapped up for Crocodile Hunter memorial

Reuters

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Hundreds queued for tickets to a farewell for "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin in the "Crocoseum" of his Australian Zoo, with scores turned away on Friday after all-night vigils when tickets ran out.

With only 3,000 places available for the public memorial next Wednesday, people lined up for more than a day outside ticket boxes at the Zoo on the Sunshine Coast of tropical Queensland state, as well as the nearby city of Maroochydore and the capital Brisbane.

"It's indescribable, it's joy, it's elation," Melissa Power told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio after a 25-hour wait to secure tickets for her family to Irwin's service.

"I'm sleep-deprived, but I'm joyous and happy and it's just everything."

Irwin, whose "Crocodile Hunter" documentaries were watched by more than 200 million people around the world, died when the serrated barb from the tail of a stingray pierced his heart while he was diving off northeast Australia on September 4.

A Brisbane football stadium had at one stage been considered as a venue for his memorial, but Irwin's wife Terri said the zoo's central Crocoseum was the only suitable place.

Irwin used the arena to feed live crocodiles while surrounded by snakes, birds and the other native Australian wildlife.

Zoo marketing manager Peter Lang said the free tickets had been given away in only 15 minutes for what would be a celebration of Irwin's life.

Terri Irwin has asked mourners to make a donation to Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation fund.

The memorial will be broadcast live around Australia, as well as in the United States and throughout Asia.

Irwin's family and friends held a private funeral service, which included stories told around a campfire at the zoo last weekend.

I was really quite disgusted with the people in line to get these tickets.

They were laughing and cheering, and some people are selling these tickets for over $1000, when they were given away.

*shakes head*

People make me sick

Its really a shame that Steve Irwin's death has become a party event for some. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.... <_<