Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Update of Uniforms

Why didn't the crew of Voyager get updated uniforms after contact with the Alpha Quadrant? They could replicate a new Delta Flier, so why not a few uniforms? :lol:

When the Doctor was on the Prometheus he saw the new uniform. And in all the broadcasts with pathfinder. The holographic Reg Barclay wore a new uniform also.

When the Doctor was on the Prometheus he saw the new uniform. And in all the broadcasts with pathfinder. The holographic Reg Barclay wore a new uniform also.

Even though the Docter did see the new uniforms it wouldn't make any sense to change uniforms. For a ship that is always low on resources to do a ship wide wardrobe change because their Docter saw that Starfleet had made some SLIGHT changes to their clothing style on the other side of the galaxy makes no sense at ALL. Even if they did change them for all they knew they wouldn't be home for another 70+ years in which time Starfleet uniforms would probably change 10 or more times. It would not be logical.

Agreed. It probably wasn't real high on their list of priorities.

Even though the Docter did see the new uniforms it wouldn't make any sense to change uniforms. For a ship that is always low on resources to do a ship wide wardrobe change because their Docter saw that Starfleet had made some SLIGHT changes to their clothing style on the other side of the galaxy makes no sense at ALL. Even if they did change them for all they knew they wouldn't be home for another 70+ years in which time Starfleet uniforms would probably change 10 or more times. It would not be logical.

Well i would tend to disagree. Janeway treasured Star Fleet and protocol and everything about it. If uniforms werent important then she wouldn't have kitted out the Macquis in Star Fleet uniforms now would she. The ship was always kept pristine and any deviance away from Star Fleet regulations would be a faux pas. The look of the officer and the image that Janeway would want to present to the public would have to reflect Star Fleet up to the moment. They replicated lots of things and a few uniforms would not have taken up much power. If it was my ship and I knew that my officers looked out of date and I could easily bring them up to date then I would.

Your right Janeway did treuser both Starfleet and Protocol. That is why everyone on board wore Starfleet uniforms. However Janeway wasn't stupid and I don't think that knowing that Starfleet officers on the other side of the galaxy had blue on their sholders insted of red kept her up at night. Another thing as long as we're auguing about this how would she know that the uniforms they were wearing were out of date? Remember when DS9 started and everyone was wearing the uniforms that would later end up on Voyager? The Enterprise didn't change uniforms for almost 2 years after that. Also remember when the uniforms changed in season 3 of TNG that it was almost 2 years until everyone on board was wearing the new uniforms. You might notice that most of the Jr. Officers (or those with out speaking parts) continued to wear the old uniforms for quite some time.

Your also right that Janeway would want to project a good Starfleet image to those in the Delta Quadrant that had never heard of Starfleet. But since they were the only ship out there how would anyone know that their uniforms weren't current?

I removed two words from your post, if you do not like a subject--dont respond. Alterego

Edited by Alterego

Im sure that you will appreciate that the star trek universe needs to have as much continuity and uniformity (no pun intended :wow:) ) as possible. Therefore the writers must see to this as much as they can. During season 3 of tng, they could only afford the new uniforms for the main characters. As a result, all the others were left in the old uniforms. This caused a continuity problem in best of both worlds part 2. But there was nothing they could do about it. The uniforms in ds9 were supposed to be STATION uniforms, as opposed to the STARSHIP uniforms which were still being used. Often we saw Starships where the crews aleways wore STARSHIP uniforms ie the TNG ones. Remember when Sisko went to Star Fleet Commend? What did he wear? .When voyager came out i dont know why they used these station uniforms on a star ship. Bad continuity. Generations was a weak way of demonstrating the gradual changeover that would occur on a starship when new uniforms would be introduced. But why put the Station Uniforms on a Star Ship? I would imagine also, that on a ship everyone would have a designated day to change. To keep things 'uniform' as the name would suggest. However, on Voyager we never even saw an effort like on Generations to change over to the new one. Also, it doesnt matter if no one in the Alpha Quadrant doesnt know what their uniform is like. I mean, not many there know what star fleet itself is all about so whay should they stick then to Star Fleet principles? No. I still maintain that the Voyager writers should have given them new uniforms and explained it by their need to uphold ALL of Star Fleet's principles when aware of them. This would have given Voyager a minor yet fresher appearance. I understand your arguments, but the reasons for the discrepancies in uniforms in the past has been due to production budgets and bad visual planning. and not the way in which things wre logically progressing in the Star Trek Universe itself. Had things progressed in that Universe logically, then in Voyager they would have all had new uniforms. Sorry, but im picky bout the minor things. Also im a lawyer and love to argue. LOL

Voyager's uniforms were one of the consepts that made it different from the other series'. It wouldn't be the same Voyager if the uniforms were changed, it would just be another star fleet ship.:wow:

P.S. I don't think that The Doctor was paying much attention to the uniforms in "Message in a Bottle", he was a little preoccupied with the romulans. :wow:

This is how I see it.

If I was captain of a starship, my ship was on the other side of the galaxy, and we learned that Starfleet got a new uniform, I'd be like, "So...?"

They have perfectly good uniforms. What "would" have been interrested was as their uniforms wore out or whatever, their NEW ones were of the new design... so by the end of the series, they had the new uniform look.

But, like I said, there's nothing wrong with the uniforms they had, so they didn't see it as being important.

I agree with Jean-Luc. There really would have been no good reason to change the uniforms. In fact if the writers had changed the uniforms I would have been very disapointed. Sure they could have "explained" it but that wouldn't make it any more logical. Janeway was picky but not vain.

Well. Everyone has their own perspective and I thank you for yours. I never realised that so many people were un fazed by the old uniforms. It must be just me that's bugged...! :wow:)

Maybe they felt it wasn't important since they were on the other side of the galaxy? :D

That's what I thought.

Or maybe it's because they didn;t like the new uniforms. Too depressing. And the VOY crew had enoough reason to be depressed.

I believe that with them being on the other side of the Galaxy it did not matter to much to them. Besides it would have wasted resources that they may need later.

I believe that with them being on the other side of the Galaxy it did not matter to much to them.  Besides it would have wasted resources that they may need later.

Not necessarilly. As they needed to replace their uniforms, they could have started replacing them with the new design. However, like others have said, with them being on the other side of the galaxy and all, I just don't think they cared. It's not like it was completely redesigned, but more of an update. :(

Well, if there are any enlisted people out there, please correct me if I'm wrong -- but from the news coverage I've seen of the U.S military for example, army and marine personnel have a wide selection of kits to choose from, some wearing green fatigues, other desert, some mix them. Some soldiers wear the floppy Australian type hats while others sport military-style baseball caps or beanie caps. In Germany, the federal police also have various uniforms -- the black leather jacket and beige pants, the military green pants and military style sweater as well as a plain military-style duds for crowd control. Even back in Kirk's day, he sometimes wore his Green wrap-around shirt, while other Starfleet personnel had very different uniforms. Picard early on sometimes wore a (very cool) jacket.

My point being, I don't think Starfleet would be so uniform as to have one set of uniforms across the board for everyone at the same time. And even it did, it has been shown that personnel, or at least officers, have some leeway for variation. For example, Miles always had his sleeves rolled up, Deana often chose not to wear a uniform at all, etc.

Well, if there are any enlisted people out there, please correct me if I'm wrong -- but from the news coverage I've seen of the U.S military for example, army and marine personnel have a wide selection of kits to choose from, some wearing green fatigues, other desert, some mix them. Some soldiers wear the floppy Australian type hats while others sport military-style baseball caps or beanie caps. In Germany, the federal police also have various uniforms -- the black leather jacket and beige pants, the military green pants and military style sweater as well as a plain military-style duds for crowd control. Even back in Kirk's day, he sometimes wore his Green wrap-around shirt, while other Starfleet personnel had very different uniforms. Picard early on sometimes wore a (very cool) jacket.

My point being, I don't think Starfleet would be so uniform as to have one set of uniforms across the board for everyone at the same time. And even it did, it has been shown that personnel, or at least officers, have some leeway for variation. For example, Miles always had his sleeves rolled up, Deana often chose not to wear a uniform at all, etc.

True, but shortly after ST:FC, everyone switched from the TNG/DS9 style uniforms to the new look. Thus, that's why some people think VOY should have updated the look as well.

As for Troi not wearring a uniform? She had to wear one when she became an official bridge officer durring the final season... :laugh:

I really think that if they changed the uniforms then it would not be the "Lost Star Trek Voyager" the whole entire point of the series, was a ship 70,000 lightyears away from Earth (Federation). If they updated their uniforms then it would be as if they have their gleam of hope destined for them to return home, in this case, they were completely relying on fate, where anything can happen.

:laugh: All This fussing over uniforms. My My. When they left the Alpha Q, They where waering the right uniforms. thus they kept them to remember from where they came. Thus, again the reasons for making it home.

It never bothered me that they didn't get the new Uniforms. Infact I was glad they didn't. It kept Voyager...hmmm...how shall I put it....disconnected? Something like that :laugh:

Anyway...it just wan't that important...as others have said

I never noticed the uniform issue until this string came along, I am going to side with the "The old uniforms kept them seperated from from the rest of SF and added to the drama of them being stranded far away" belief.

Besides, I think the color uniforms were nicer than the new yet more dull black and gray :laugh:

what if they had gotten Q to go into the the future when they were home and used those uniforms? stupid but an idea! ps: I WANA Q SMILEY

:blink:

Guest Guest

Hi there :laugh:

I think Janeway was more intent on getting the crew home rather than getting new uniforms. Afterall, there were much more important things to worry about, like defending themselves against the Borg and other hostile aliens. In the end, it shouldn't matter what a person looked like or what they were wearing, as long as they performed their duties well.

Just a quick question:

Did the dress uniform stay the same when the uniform changed??

I have only seen season one of DS9. I really liked the dress uniform in Voyager, even though the characters didn't wear them too often.

Linda

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't update the uniforms. The new ones were ugly. The old ones looked much better.

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't update the uniforms. The new ones were ugly. The old ones looked much better.

The new stuff didn't look as Trek as the traditional old uniform. Same goes to TNG I think

OK, I can see the reasons why Voyager would remain with the old uniforms even though they knew of a redesign.

It still doesn't explain how they could survive 7 years in the Delta Quadrant and still have that fresh-out-of-the-store look to them. I mean no worn threads, no dirt spots, nothing.

Okay, here's my take. Janeway gave the Maquis crew Uniforms, along with Field Commissions (Hence the different insignia, for "Provisional" officers.) As long as the entire crew wears the same uniform, there isn't a problem. Weather it's the old uniform or the new one, it doesn't matter. If the Maquis wore different uniforms, they would feel isolated, and that's probably the same idea behind NOT switching voyager's uniforms. When they left, the black body/Division color shoulder was Starfleet standard. Why change because DS9 and the Movies changed? Voyager IS isolated, and the uniforms are a reminder of that.