Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Update of Uniforms

I would have to agree with the people that says when A uniform wears out that it would be replaced with the new uniform. I just think that Janeway seeing that their was a uniform change would slowly faze out the old ones without useing to much power.

When I was in the service,overseas, they changed the uniforms.We wore our old outdated ones until we returned to our country.So I see that they had no need to change until they returned home.That makes sense to me.

H200

Why didn't Voyager get the updated uniforms when a link to the AQ was established?

I've thought about this a hundred times!

I believe the quick answer is this:

Once a month, Voyager recieved a data streem from the AQ. This was primarily made up of personal letters to the crew, aswell as any news they had on their current situation.

As much as it would've been cool to see the crew in the spanking new uniforms, I doubt it would have been a top priority on Admiral Paris' to-do list!

Of course the replicator file for creating the new uniforms wouldn't have been that big, they could've easily fitted more letters and other information in, in place of the uniforms.

there is also the point that replicating uniforms for 100-200 people that's 4 uniforms for each crewman it would be too great a drane on their systems, they're called replicator rashions for a reason

This is how I see it.

If I was captain of a starship, my ship was on the other side of the galaxy, and we learned that Starfleet got a new uniform, I'd be like, "So...?"

They have perfectly good uniforms. What "would" have been interrested was as their uniforms wore out or whatever, their NEW ones were of the new design... so by the end of the series, they had the new uniform look.

But, like I said, there's nothing wrong with the uniforms they had, so they didn't see it as being important.

If I was a captain of a starship 70,000 light years from home and starfleet came up with new uniforms, I'd be wondering why they were playing dress ups instead of trying to get me home.

Edited by jadziaezri

In real life everyones uniforms would not be the same,as you notice that the only thing that was different was the colors of part of their blouses.In real life the enlisted personnel would be different than the non commissioned officers and in turn the commissioned officers would be different.That is in the navy.Since they used naval ranks there ,I would imagine that they would follow the uniform code there,also.

In combat that would be a different story as no officer wants to stand out as a target.We never wore our rank,or a different uniform.In the land of make believe anything goes.

H200

Jim and Gary and Odie are actually examples of that. Gary and Odie would wear the same style of uniform, both of them being Petty Officers, while Jim, being a commissioned Officer, wears a different uniform, dispite being in the same service. I think there are only 2 uniforms that have a commonality in the Navy for Officers and enlisted, and that's the Winter Blues and the Summer Whites. (though Officers do wear shoulderboards with the summer whites, rather than collar devices like they do with the Winter Blues). I might not have served in the real military, but 4 years of NJROTC and being married to a Naval Reservist will teach ya a few things. I'm getting pretty good at IDing the Rating Badges on enlisted people, too.

On that note, and maybe this is another thread, Why is it that Starfleet's enlisted personnel don't wear any sort of rating badge? I mean, even if it was just a 2-letter combo on a patch opposite their rank insignia on their collar? or have Ratings gone out of use by the 24th Century? Like, Odie you could address as QM1, or Gary as MA3, or address both as Petty Officer. I think Miles was a Senior Cheif, wasn't he? And what do you guys think his rating would be?

Edited by Krissy Phaserman

Alright, since I can't edit my previous post again, I'll do this...

In the Sim I am in, we have changed the uniforms entirely, and they are similar in issuance to US Navy uniforms. The designs aren't that similar, but the rank insignia is somewhat...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

post-1503-1143631928_thumb.jpg

I agree that the priority was to get Voyager home over integrating new uniforms and also that it was a way to make the Voyager crew to stand apart from the rest. They were a long way from home and not privy to everything new. Also if you look back at some early episodes of DS9 whenever the Enterprise crew passed through they wore TNG uniforms for a bit rather than the new colored shoulder-on-black ones the DS9 crew wore.

OK, I can see the reasons why Voyager would remain with the old uniforms even though they knew of a redesign.

It still doesn't explain how they could survive 7 years in the Delta Quadrant and still have that fresh-out-of-the-store look to them. I mean no worn threads, no dirt spots, nothing.

sonic shower.

Sonic showers clean your bodies not the uniform, In the 7 years im sure they would of replicated new uniforms now and again, But why update the replicator to create the new ones when as far as they were knew it was gonna be another 70 years to get home and god only knows how many redesighns.

Didn't Chakotay mention that if he ever needed a tailor, he'd ask Tuvok? They definitely should have set Tuvok on making them by hand. Perhaps for...meditative purposes. :assimilated:

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't update the uniforms. The new ones were ugly. The old ones looked much better.

I agree. The new uniforms lacked in colour. One of the fundamental trademarks of the Star Trek concept.

But really I suspect the reason Voyager and DS9 had different uniforms was give them each their own identity towards the fans.

Here's how I see it; The new uniforms were adopted for the Dominion war to prevent the enemyt from sighting them, and Identifying the command, science, and engineering personell from a distance. (big problem with emblazoning your speciality on the shoulders, the most visible part when shooting from under cover. Voyager was in the Delta quadrant, and no where near the conflict. Thus, they didn't need to change the uniforms. It would have been understandable if they phased out the older uniforms as they wore out, but from a financial aspect, the producers wouldn't have seen the extra expence of creating a whole new set of uniforms for a crew who wouldn't even be included in the Dominion war. From the raplicator rationing standpoint, don't even get me started. They built at least 7 shuttles (they blew up or lost many more than the ship was equipped to carry) and they built the Delta Flyer. If they were worried about rations, they brought it on themselves. If they could replicate shuttle parts, they could afford a few new uniforms. Someone also mentioned the continuity of uniforms among the crew. By the time the Voyager crew found out about the new uniforms, the Maquis were not a problem. Belanna was the cheif engineer, Chakotay was second in command, Seska was gone, and everyone felt right at home as part of the crew. (Except maybe Nelix, who ended up leaving the ship, but he wasn't Maquis anyways.) So to sum up my opinion, the old uniforms had no need to be updated, but had they felt the need to, it would have been quite appropriate to slowly update the old ones as they wore out.

I haven't watched much DS9, so your comments on why the uniforms are different were really interesting! Thanks! :P

Here's how I see it; The new uniforms were adopted for the Dominion war to prevent the enemyt from sighting them, and Identifying the command, science, and engineering personell from a distance. (big problem with emblazoning your speciality on the shoulders, the most visible part when shooting from under cover. Voyager was in the Delta quadrant, and no where near the conflict.

This is an interesting comment. Can I just add something which I believe to be the case. The darker uniorms were developed by Star Fleet not just because of The Dominion war, but because of darker times all around. We can recall that the Defiant was originally developed as a weapon against the Borg. The Borg have contributed to those darker times. The Borg are from the Delta Quadrant, and showed up on multiple occasions on Voyager;s journey. On those occasions, the crew of Voyager carried out many 'covert' operations.

Coupled with the dangers of the Kazon, the Vidiians, Species 8472, the Macro-organisms, and all of the numerous other hostile species, wouldn't it have made sense that Janeway afforded her crew the best possible protecton available ie discreet battle ready uniforms? Rather than have them run around caves and alien vessels looking like a leisure suit catelogue model outing?

If the unforms really were 'military technology' as such, in their dicreetness and in the problems which they caused to snipers, wouldn't they have been the best that Star Fleet could have offered to a crew which was stranded away from all other military support? A ship that was living on its wits?

I do not take the argument that it would have 'cost too much' to replace these uniforms, with much stock. It's just fabric at the end of the day. Look at how many velvet cat suits Kes and Seven had (joke). But in all seriosness, one uniform for seven years wouldn't be realistc. A phased use of the more updated version would have made sense, in my opinion, as well as showing pride in the institution which the crew allegedly held dear.

I always thought that they should have changed uniforms. It would have given them a sense of "home" and still belonging, despite being so far away. Star Trek writers are notorious for not caring about continuity, so of course, they overlooked or ignored the uniform change when the time came. Its just one of the little things that raise my blood pressure when it comes to the Trek universe.

I've always thought that once the Doctor returned to Voyager in Message in a Bottle part of his report would be specs for the new uniforms, which he certainly could have uploaded to the computer as a replicator pattern, and it would have been a great morale booster for the crew to be wearing what they were wearing back home. The producers must have thought of that but apparently just didn't want to invest in new uniforms.

Edited by LCARS 24

I've been watching DS9 recently and I think that the change of uniforms were due to the growing threat of Dominion and Klingon invasion. I think they were meant as a display to show that Starfleet was still here and that they were running like business was usual.

I think that when you're trapped out in the boondocks of space and surrounded by the universe's least interesting species, new weapons and a new shuttle are more important than new uniforms.

do they have any peeks for the upcoming Star Trek Films uniform and does anybody have a pic of them if so, I did a search couldnt find anything

I think that when you're trapped out in the boondocks of space and surrounded by the universe's least interesting species, new weapons and a new shuttle are more important than new uniforms.

Following that logic then , Voyager shouldn't have bothered re-painting the decks following every invasion or battle, or replacing the carpet, or using the holodeck, or ... etc etc

IT'S. ONLY. A. UNIFORM!!!!

It should have been replaced. No one even complimented Barclay's new threads when his hologram was on Voyager. Or when the Alpha Quadrant appeared on their viewscreens.

Maybe the producers wanted to keep the mindset, 'these are Starfleet officers, but they remain on their own, in the truest sense-still trodding the paths of the Delta Quadrant......''

I think that in production terms the producers wanted to make Voyager look different from DS9. Lost in Space kinda thing, out of touch with the homeworld.

I'm glad they didn't change the uniforms. Even though personaly I like the grey shouldered uniforms better, I like that Voyager kept theirs.