Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Superman Returns

We just saw Superman Returns this weekend and aside from an outstanding performance from Kevin Spacey, we really weren't all that thrilled with the movie.

We were so disappointed in it that we went out and purchased a copy of the Superman starring Christopher Reeve. Now that's Superman ... as for this new creation, well, let's just say I like a little more SUPER in my SUPERheroes.

Anybody else see this flick?

Yeah I hear you but I liked it anyway, more the second time. I just set all my questions aside and enjoyed it for what it is; an action packed, killer CGI extravaganza.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
You expect me to believe that Superman could land on an island of Kryptonite and not notice it until he gets his *buttocks* kicked?

And THEN you expect me to believe that he could just lift the entire Kryptonite island into space?

Edited by Alterego

And THEN you expect me to believe that he could just lift the entire Kryptonite island into space?

THATS why he's called.......SUPERMAN!!!..... :bow:

Seriously, I haven't seen the movie yet but I really want to. Of course, now thanks to Van Roy, I know a big plot point in advance........ :bow:

Edited by Alterego

That was something I found the logical answer for the second viewing; remember after

Turns out many of the things we saw here which didn't make sense to casual fans are actually items hardcore fans know all about from comics.

My biggest complaint remains with the playing of Lois, I know the actress was playing her as "more mature" but I just couldn't see her as a grown up Kidder. To her credit however, I must admit I did see a few moments which she reminded me of Kidder in the second viewing.

I'm very happy I let Jem talk me into seeing it again, much of what I didn't understand about it the first time became clearer and instead of hating it I became a fan. I want to see it least one more time on the big screen and we will get the DVD.

You expect me to believe that Superman could land on an island of Kryptonite and not notice it until he gets his *buttocks* kicked?

That was something I found the logical answer for the second viewing; remember after

he was saved from the water... He flew up to space and basked in the sun for a few minutes to recharge. That recharge gave him just enough strength to do what he had to do.

Turns out many of the things we saw here which didn't make sense to casual fans are actually items hardcore fans know all about from comics.

Yeah, that's what I thought too right-off. If they didn't show that scene, it wouldn't have been as credible..

Though, personally, I thought it was great myself.. I also saw it two times myself.

I liked how it seem'd a homage to both the comics and the films, and I thought the effects were fantastic..

However, I am rather disheartened by the fact that Superman never did get those crystals back.. On-screen, anyways.

I really look forward to sequels though if they're done right.

I doubt we've seen the last of them Dr. Who, their loss has got 'to be continued' written all over it.

Say, what is up with that

I doubt we've seen the last of them Dr. Who, their loss has got 'to be continued' written all over it.

Say, what is up with that

crystal thing he brought back and crashed over Marthas house? Remember he told her in the morning that he'd buried it. I still don't get why he had it or where he got it or what it was. It looked like a more up to date version of the ship he originally rode to Earth in but that couldn't be... More sequel foreshadowing perhaps?
I wouldn't think so myself...

Personally when I first saw it, I thought it was a great chunk from the Statue of Liberty's torch foreshadowing Superman's need to travel backwards through time once more.... But that obviously proved false (for the most part).

Mmm, Wikipedia says it's Superman's crystalline spaceship... *shrugs* Further research needed, since it seem'd that Superman actually flew through space (hence the beginning scene) and he seems to hold his breath long enough when required.. (There's bound to be some oxygen-bearing planets out there for a quick stop, and would be good fun for spin-off material..)

Edited by DrWho42

Well, last night we watched "Superman The Movie." My 7 year old just LOVED it. I felt perfectly safe in allowing him to watch it ... there is no cursing, there is no "gangsta" beating scenes, very little real violence because Superman takes care of it before it starts.

Now there will be a lot of parents who haul their little ones to see this new movie just because it's "Superman." But let me warn any of you with children that this is not a movie suitable for every young child. You should see it first yourself before you take your kid, because only you know what would upset your child.

I'm going to be pretty detailed in this spoiler, so don't read if you don't want to get spoiled. If you are a parent wanting to take a young child to see this flick, read on or PM me and I'll be happy to give you a heads up before you head to the theater.

I didn't really like how they foisted this "sadder but wiser girl" Lois Lane on us. Why in the world would we need to have Superman fathering an illegitimate child with Lois and have her raising it with another man she is not married to and pretending that man is the kid's dad? C'mon, people want to take their kids to see this movie ... they don't want to be forced into a premature conversation about the birds and the bees because their kid wanted to see the new Superman movie.

Then, Superman got beaten up in an extremely violent way by Lex Luther's thugs on his little island creation ... it went on for a way too long in movie time IMO. Upsetting and depressing to watch. And Superman "died" once and almost died again, and I'm just looking at my watch wondering how much longer I'm gonna have to sit through this movie about "Pushoverman?"

Then they kept using the funny lines from the first Christopher Reeve movie, I guess trying to make fans of that feel good about the inclusion of the material, but it fell completely flat whenever they did it. In fact, I was a little annoyed that they were trying to play this new flick off as some sort of homage to this earlier and better incarnation of the franchise.

Superman The Movie had a lot of heart and a lot of charm .... Superman Returns had neither.

We Shouldn't forget that the last one number IV was made about 19 years ago so the Superman Film series has been in Suspended animation so to speak ("in that time they've made Batman "5 films"/Spiderman "3 films"/Dare Devil/Hulk/Spawn/ X-Men "3 films" /The Punisher/ Fantastic Four films") and I found it was a decent homage to the Classic Superman:The Movie while still being a update and modern spin to rejuvenate the film series at the same time at times Brandon Routh almost sounded like CR in the mannerisms and loved how they updated the main theme song as well.

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I just saw it, I liked it, being a comic book fan I understood most of the parts,

Now don't forget Superman's son Killed somone, something supes would never do, could there be a battle between the 2, maybe

I saw the movie it is good I knew what was goin on in that movie.

What did i think of it...in one word.."Slow" to put it bluntly i was finding it hard not to fall asleep,granted the day before i had just drived 22hrs non stop (except for refilling the car and the bathroom..lol) so i downloaded a fantastic *cough* copy :elephant: and watched it a few days later,anyway everytime i heard the "tune"..you all know the one i am talking about..and dont lie and say you never pretended to rip open your shirt while humming that tune :laugh: i just couldnt get the image of christopher reeves out of my head and that might just have spoiled the film for me coz everytime you saw superman i was saying to myself its not him.

If Christopher Reeve were in this movie, it would still be dull. I thought the movie was ok, but not great

Thats exactly how I feel about it.

We just saw Superman Returns this weekend and aside from an outstanding performance from Kevin Spacey, we really weren't all that thrilled with the movie.

We were so disappointed in it that we went out and purchased a copy of the Superman starring Christopher Reeve. Now that's Superman ... as for this new creation, well, let's just say I like a little more SUPER in my SUPERheroes.

I cannot agree. I thought this film was an instant classic...the story, the special effects, the cast, and Marlon Brando back from the dead.

I think its important to remember that Brian Singer stated from the beginning that his whole concept for Superman Returns was that it is in effect the film Superman III should have been. Singer has already stated that he invisions a trilogy of new Superman films- and I can't wait.

At the very least...Superman Returns washed the bad taste of X3 out of my mouth. :)

I cannot agree. I thought this film was an instant classic...the story, the special effects, the cast, and Marlon Brando back from the dead.

I think its important to remember that Brian Singer stated from the beginning that his whole concept for Superman Returns was that it is in effect the film Superman III should have been. Singer has already stated that he invisions a trilogy of new Superman films- and I can't wait.

At the very least...Superman Returns washed the bad taste of X3 out of my mouth. :)

I totally agree with everything Validus has said.

Can't wait for the DVD (Nov 28th) I'm getting the two disk set but a single disk will be availabe too. I also want the S-2 Donner Cut set.

I feel the same way. I read an interview with Richard Donner in Total Film (British magazine) and he was very candid about how the Salkinds fired him very unceremoniously after the success of Superman: The Movie and wasn't allowed to finish the second film (even though he filmed three forths of it). His version will doubtless make more sense. :)

Personally, I really liked this movie. I felt it was a movie in its own right but at the same time it paid great respect to the original producers/directors/writers of the original movie and of course to Christopher. I watched the special feature DVD on the making of the movie - sometimes I wish I didn't- but it is amazing the transformation Brendon went through to become Superman. Yes, he is not Chris - but he played Superman with great feeling. Personally I find this movie always leaves an ache in my throat and the effects were great.

My sister and I saw the movie and we went through the whole gammit of emotions. Even the young fellows behind us who were canning the movie in the first 10 minutes changed their minds and were roped in. I think it was just good plain entertainment with a good story, which is sadly missing in a lot of movies today. A copy now proudly sits in my DVD collection!

:)

Edited by starsinmyeyes