Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Who would you choose

Here's a hypothetical - the Earth is about to be wiped out - asteroid, nuclear war whatever and there is a chance of sending 100 people on a spaceship to a base on the moon (pretend it's already there and can sustain no more than 100 people for five years) and they'll be able to return in 5 years.

How would you choose how to pick that 100 people? There's a lot to consider - Of course you think scientists, engineers but what about artists, politicians? Would you concentrate on young people that will be able to (and are committed to) reproduce? Would you take anyone that couldn't produce offspring - afterall this is mankinds last hope? Would you take equal numbers of men and women or more women because they can have children? Would you choose only people with a high IQ. Would you try to incorporate as many cultures as possible or would you concentrate primarily on health and scientific ability. Would you take equal numbers of children and adults or more or less children? There's more to consider - and how would you feel about being one of the ones left behind?

One of the people, at least one, has to be a proven, effective leader. And the rest should be law-abiding people, Hopefully then we can resurrect the species without the criminal element (though I doubt that will ever go away.) I dunnow, though.

Difficult question which I will think about some more.

Other factors to consider might be what native language speakers would be taken, and what languages might be lost forever, or marginalized? What religions would be included, and which native cultures? Would it be crucial to have certain mechanics, and craftspeople included? Would athletes be included? Would the dna of people, or their medical records and history, be checked to help decide on suitability to represent humanity?

Who would do the choosing and could humanity be left with an overabundance of rich, military and political representatives? If they would be on a moon base, would astronauts take a crucial number of spots?

Also, would animal and plant species be saved: which ones and how?

If I was left behind I think I wouldn't have much time to sulk! :laugh:

On another note, wouldn't the winners of American Idol, Survivor, the Amazing Race, Celebrity Poker, and others of that ilk take up most of the spaces? :laugh:

Edited by trekz

Sounds like the scenario of the movie 'When Worlds Collide.' They had lots of 'top' people working to create escape rockets at different sites, but one site succeeded.

There was a lottery among these 'top' people, and even then there was violence, as the losers attempted to commandeer the rocket.

I think whomever was selected, the process would have to be as secret as possible, with restricted access to the rocketship, and those working on the project could not know they were among those selected to go, just as in this case of this movie.

A last minute lottery among a select group of mostly young, extremely capable people.

( Of course my religious convictions tell me someone else wil be making selections at the end.)

I would pick me and 99 beautiful women.........gotta repopulate the planet ya know...... :laugh:

Here's my thought...

1 Historian to keep the history of our world alive,

A team of medical professionals (Doctors,Nurses, dentists) because medicine will still be needed, and they can pass on their knowledge to others.

An Engineer, who can be put in charge of rebuilding, And can again pass on his knowledge to others through apprenticeships.

A mathmatician, and an expert in the various sciences (Chemistry, Physics, etc.) who can educate others.

A lawyer

some skilled laborers

A police officer (To keep the peace)

a skilled hunter (Remember, after the "end of the world" Jewel, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie and those other supermarkets are out of business)

probably a few tailors (Again, no stores, someone's gotta make clothes)

probably a skilled chef (Someone's gotta cook...)

some unskilled laborers

And probably a few people who are there for leadership. Military officers or politicians. I'd lean more towards military officers, because we've already got a lawyer or two aboard, and we've got to control the climate on the ship somehow. Leaving the politicians behind would definately reduce the level of hot-air.

Julie, you have to have at least two lawyers - one to represent each side :laugh: - although on Star Trek we saw instances of appointing officers to represent both sides.

Agreed we would need some leadership and as for law enforcement - there would have to be some sort of charter and a legal code that the colony agreed to live by.

Probably the best route would be to choose people proficient in multiple disciplines.

I'd pick myself and my family... and extended family... and a couple of doctors. I nearly forgot my fish tank. Yup, that should fill up 100 slots.

Noah repopulated the world with less and I'm sure I can do the same with more. No worries.

Oh, I'll bring a couple of friends too and loads of beer... and all Star Trek series DVD to keep ourselves entertained. It woud be a 5 year long party.

Edited by krysis

lol

That is a really tough question. I don't think anybody should make that kind of decision. I would go by the rules of the old passenger liners. Try to save the women and children. Because children are our future. Nobody is that important to be judged more worthy of life than another. :tribble: