Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Remans...

Remans and Romulans  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Related?

• Yes, the Remans are related to the Romulans.
    • No, the Remans are not related to the Romulans.

Okay, so, I'm just copying and pasting this from ST.com. Since I created the topic, I can do that. :laugh:

Okay... There never was an official history for the Remans. (Don't bother mentioning any books, because books are worthless in Trek canon.) Some people say that the Remans are a race that the Romulans had conquered and subdued, and then used as slave labor on Remus.

I say that the Remans are the descendants of Romulan criminals, who were sent as punishment to work in the dilithium mines of Remus (much like the Klingons sent criminals to Rura'Penthe). These criminals were encouraged to breed, since more slaves meant more productivity.

And you can't say that slavery is beyond the Romulans. The Romulans are based on the Romans of ancient Earth history, and the Romans did indeed use slaves.

Now, why would the Remans look so different from Romulans? Well, mining dilithium has always been hazardous. They say that the life expectancy on Rura'Penthe was only a few years, and you can't expect all those criminals to die from being shanked or exiled to the surface. Chances are, the majority of deaths come from the hazards of mining dilithium. Also, in the TOS episode "Mudd's Women," it's implied that the dilithium miners we see would become wealthy after only a couple years of mining dilithium. It's a known fact that people who mine in hazardous conditions get paid more than those who mine in safer conditions. It's called hazard pay. All this point to the fact that mining dilithium is dangerous because there's some sort of toxin related to dilithium crystals. In the case of the Remans, this toxin could result in genetic mutations, rather than death. After all, we know that Vulcans, who the Romulans are descended from, have a generally higher tolerance to toxins than most other species.

Finally there's what little we know about the Remans. For one, they have ears that are the same shape and size as those of Romulans and Vulcans. Secondly, like Vulcans (and, by genetic association, the Romulans), they have telepathic abilities.

This is the original post. Here are some follow-ups I posted in response to other people's comments...

Michael Westmore and John Logan both said the Romulans discovered and conqured the Remans, they're not related in anyway. That's good enough for me.

Michael Westmore and John Logan never put it into any Trek script. Therefore, what they say about anything we see on-screen without proof is irrelevant.

Also, consider this... The insignia of the Romulan Star Empire features a bird of prey (no, not a Klingon ship) grasping two orbs in its talons. One of those orbs is Romulus. The other is Remus. This denotes equal status. Why would the Romulans consider the Remans partners in any way if they were nothing more than slaves?

Also, both Romulus and Remus are considered the home-worlds of the Romulans. Why would Remus be a home-world if they only conquered it? After all, Mars isn't considered a Terran home-world, even though it's in the Sol system and humans have colonized it.

they are not related.

why, let's use logic

the Romulans left vulcan somewhere around the 4th century

So let's accept that they had warpspeed i would not take that long to reach the Romulan starsystem. So let say that they start to colonize arround 400 AD.

The Remans are not like the romulans, they look very different, how could you explain an evolution form Romulans to Remans in less than 2000 years (Nemesis +/-2380)

So i think that ?the Remans were the orginal species of the star system and they were occupied and enslaved by the Romulans

Like I said in my initial post, it could be genetic mutations caused by dilithium-related toxins. It's highly improbable that the Romulans would find a race that just so happens to also have pointed ears and telepathic abilities.

As for the Remans' sensitivity to light, well, that doesn't neccessarily have to do with genetics. Spend several years in your basement with nothing more than a dim light and the glow of you television and/or computer screen, and then step outside on a cloudless day at noon in the middle of summer. Trust me, you will loathe the light. By that time, you'll have gotten so used to darkness that sunlight seems intolerable. (I know... I lived in a garage for several years with all windows curtained over. I hate the sun.)

Not all pre-Surak Vulcans were telepathic. After the split, those who sided with what we now call Romulans who were telepathic died out during the journey - a long, pre-warp technology journey.

Yet we know that at least some Remans are not only telepathic but they are also non-touch telepathic. Even Vulcans needed physical contact to initiate telepathy.

They simply can't be related.

Not all pre-Surak Vulcans were telepathic. After the split, those who sided with what we now call Romulans who were telepathic died out during the journey - a long, pre-warp technology journey.

Where did you get that from?

Yet we know that at least some Remans are not only telepathic but they are also non-touch telepathic. Even Vulcans needed physical contact to initiate telepathy.

Spock initiated a mind meld through a wall. (I don't remember the episode, I'll try to dig it up.) In "The Devil in the Dark" he also initiated a meld with the Horta without touching it at first. In TNG's "Sarek," Sarek's Bendii Syndrome caused his uncontrolled emotions to be telepathically transmitted to people all over the ship.

There most certainly is evidence that Vulcans don't require physical contact for their telepathy to work.

But it isn't the norm. Maybe the Spock / Surak line is just more telepathic than most.

It has long been established that Vulcans and Romulans are related. If Romulans were telepathic, even partially, don't you think we would have seen some plots with telepathic Romulans by now?

I Always thought being telepathic was being able to read or sense thoughts with out physical comunication. I consider touching like a sort of sigh language.