Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

TNG episodes which directly relate to DS9

I am wondering, which episodes of The Next Generation directly relate to the events in Deep Space Nine?

I like TNG, but I've sort of given up on watching it as I've found it to be more episodic, rather than having events really follow through to future episodes. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but it's easier for me to watch Deep Space Nine or Voyager.

I have noticed that there are some episodes of TNG which directly contribute to the story of Deep Space Nine, and I'd like a list of them, if someone here is so familiar with both TNG and DS9.

For example, I vaguely remember Ensign Ro Laren on TNG, and that she was Bajoran, and joined the Maquis. And on another forum, someone made a reference to Picard being tortured by the Cardassians - I completely missed that. Not necessarily anything that uses the Bajoran or Cardassian races, but episodes, the events of which directly relate to DS9. The Cardassian Occupation of Bajor, Bajor's spirituality, the Maquis, things of this nature. After we finish watching DS9 it would be nice to see some of these episodes.

Hmmm... I'm not that much into DS9 nor am I very much familiar with it (I've seen the episodes only once), but I'm MUCH into TNG, so I can tell you that the episode in which Jean-Lus is being tortured by a Cardassian is called "Chain Of Command" (2-part episode).

There is also one episode that has a few scenes on DS9 (the Enterprise-D is docked there) and it's called "Birthright, Part I". Dr. Bashir is in that episode as well. Then there is "The Wounded" which features the Cardassians and O'Brien's hatred of them and there's some Maquis activity in it as well, or it is at least implied or something. Another episode that features the Maquis would be "Preemptive Strike". There is also one episode in which Riker talks to Quark, which is called "Firstborn". The first episode that featured Ensign Ro is called "Ensign Ro" (duh *lol*) and it features the Maquis as well, if I remember correctly....

I'm sure there's more, little references and all that stuff, but since I'm into TNG only, I probably wouldn't even notive them. :welcome:

Ro Laren is introduced in the episode "Ensign Ro". The episode of her joining the Maquis is "Preemptive Strike" the second to last episode of the series.

You could include Best of Both Worlds Part I and II since the battle at Wolf 359 had such a major impact on Sisko's life. Sisko had a number of flashbacks to it in The Emissary.

The episode Second Chance would be one to add to the list as well as that was the episode with Thomas Riker who later showed up on DS9 trying to steal the Defiant.

Perhaps Data's Day as well since that was the episode where the O'Briens got married.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Not to get technical, takara, but I will :welcome: You said it was flashbacks in The Emissary. Actually, The Emissary was a TNG episode with K'Ethryl or however you spell Worf's mate. Emissary was the DS9 pilot.

Thanks for the replies. :welcome:

We've seen "Best of Both Worlds"; that's DS9 prerequisite right there. :klingon:

Are "Ensign Ro" and "Preemptive Strike" the only episodes involving both Ro and the Maquis? Are there any episodes (I realize I'm digging here) that involve her relationship to either the Prophets or to Bajoran and/or Cardassian politics?

Thanks for the replies. :welcome:

We've seen "Best of Both Worlds"; that's DS9 prerequisite right there. :klingon:

Are "Ensign Ro" and "Preemptive Strike" the only episodes involving both Ro and the Maquis? Are there any episodes (I realize I'm digging here) that involve her relationship to either the Prophets or to Bajoran and/or Cardassian politics?

You could include Lower Decks regarding the Bajorans but that didn't involve Ro.

The Cardassians were introduced for the first time in the episode The Wounded but they weren't major players in TNG. Beside that episode they appeared in Ensign Ro, Chain of Command, The Chase, Lower Decks and Preemptive Strike.

The doctor from DS9 makes a guest appearance in one of the TNG episodes. Also there is one where Riker speaks to Quark over the viewscreen. Can't remeber the names of those episodes now though. I would assume they are in the later seasons.

Voyagers Tom Paris also appears in TNG though there he is called Mick Locarno. Not sure why they changed his name for Voyager? I liked the other one better.

Voyagers Tom Paris also appears in TNG though there he is called Mick Locarno. Not sure why they changed his name for Voyager? I liked the other one better.

Although the same actor played both parts, Nick Locarno and Tom Paris are 2 totally different characters. There is no relationship whatsoever between them. In fact, it was his portrrayal of Locarno that got Robert Duncan McNeil the part of Tom Paris.

Although the same actor played both parts, Nick Locarno and Tom Paris are 2 totally different characters. There is no relationship whatsoever between them. In fact, it was his portrrayal of Locarno that got Robert Duncan McNeil the part of Tom Paris.

Well, according to Memory Alpha, the character of Paris was inspired by Locarno. When they cast the part, they couldn't find anyone who did it as well as Robert Duncan McNeill, so he read for the part and was cast. However, he could not be Locarno himself as doing so meant that Naren Shankar and Ronald D. Moore (who wore The First Duty) would have had to been paid royalties everytime the character was seen. So it was cheaper to create a new character. Memory Alpha also mentions that the writers felt that Locarno may not be as interested in redeeming himself (or was irredeemable) as the character of Tom Paris was.

In the episode "Parellels," the Cardassian occupation of Bajor is mentioned. But in the alternate future, the Bajorans got agressive after they overthrew the Cardassians.

Hmmm... I'm not that much into DS9 nor am I very much familiar with it (I've seen the episodes only once), but I'm MUCH into TNG, so I can tell you that the episode in which Jean-Lus is being tortured by a Cardassian is called "Chain Of Command" (2-part episode).

There is also one episode that has a few scenes on DS9 (the Enterprise-D is docked there) and it's called "Birthright, Part I". Dr. Bashir is in that episode as well. Then there is "The Wounded" which features the Cardassians and O'Brien's hatred of them and there's some Maquis activity in it as well, or it is at least implied or something. Another episode that features the Maquis would be "Preemptive Strike". There is also one episode in which Riker talks to Quark, which is called "Firstborn". The first episode that featured Ensign Ro is called "Ensign Ro" (duh *lol*) and it features the Maquis as well, if I remember correctly....

I'm sure there's more, little references and all that stuff, but since I'm into TNG only, I probably wouldn't even notive them. :frusty:

I believe you're a little bit confused on some events, there. In "The Wounded," there was no mention of the Maquis. The Maquis was introduced in DS9, and "The Wounded" was a pre-DS9 episode. Though it's very likely that events in "The Wounded" were used as a template for Maquis attitudes toward the Cardassians.

The same is true of "Ensign Ro."

The Maquis was introduced in DS9...

Actually the Maquis were introduced in TNG. The first time they are seen was in the episode Ensign Ro which aired Sept 7, 1991 while DS9 did not go on the air until Jan 3, 1993.

Actually the Maquis were introduced in TNG. The first time they are seen was in the episode Ensign Ro which aired Sept 7, 1991 while DS9 did not go on the air until Jan 3, 1993.

That was the Bajoran resistance to Cardassia's hold on Bajor, not the Maquis.

The Maquis were formed as a result of the Treaty of 2370 between the Federation and the Cardassian Union. Before this treaty came into effect, the Maquis did not exist. 2370 was the year of season 7 of TNG and season 2 of DS9.

(There were resistance cells and rogue officers before the formation of the Maquis (such as Captain Ben Maxwell of the Phoenix), but they themselves were not Maquis.)

The Maquis were formed as a result of the Treaty of 2370 between the Federation and the Cardassian Union. Before this treaty came into effect, the Maquis did not exist. 2370 was the year of season 7 of TNG and season 2 of DS9.

(There were resistance cells and rogue officers before the formation of the Maquis (such as Captain Ben Maxwell of the Phoenix), but they themselves were not Maquis.)

You may be right but I'll have to watch the episode again. I could have sworn they were referred to as the Maquis in the episode.

You may be right but I'll have to watch the episode again. I could have sworn they were referred to as the Maquis in the episode.

The first time we ever hear the Maquis mentioned on-screen was during the season 2 DS9 episode "The Maquis, part I." Toward the end of the episode, after Dukat gets kidnapped, Kira picks up a subspace message. She then say, "Commander, we've just received a general subspace transmission from somewhere in the Demilitarized Zone. A group there is taking credit for the kidnapping of Dukat. They're calling themselves... the Maquis."

Since season 2 of DS9 and season 7 of TNG ran concurrently, they were able to do several Maquis-related episodes for TNG. And, like I said in a previous post, the events of some TNG episodes, like "Ensign Ro" and "The Wounded," may have been used as a template to build up toward the formation of the Maquis.

The first time we ever hear the Maquis mentioned on-screen was during the season 2 DS9 episode "The Maquis, part I." Toward the end of the episode, after Dukat gets kidnapped, Kira picks up a subspace message. She then say, "Commander, we've just received a general subspace transmission from somewhere in the Demilitarized Zone. A group there is taking credit for the kidnapping of Dukat. They're calling themselves... the Maquis."

Since season 2 of DS9 and season 7 of TNG ran concurrently, they were able to do several Maquis-related episodes for TNG. And, like I said in a previous post, the events of some TNG episodes, like "Ensign Ro" and "The Wounded," may have been used as a template to build up toward the formation of the Maquis.

I agree with WishFire, the first mention of the Maquis was in DS9. I haven't seen "Ensign Ro" in a few years but I'm 99% sure there was no mention of them there. In fact, the first mention of the Maquis on TNG could well have been the season 7 episode "Preemptive Strike" but I could be wrong on that though.

I agree with WishFire, the first mention of the Maquis was in DS9. I haven't seen "Ensign Ro" in a few years but I'm 99% sure there was no mention of them there. In fact, the first mention of the Maquis on TNG could well have been the season 7 episode "Preemptive Strike" but I could be wrong on that though.

Yea, you guys are right.

I found an interesting piece of trivia at Memory Alpha regarding the Maquis that I thought I'd share:

Regarding the Maquis' origins, Ronald D. Moore commented:

The Maquis were definitely created for Voyager. When I was working on "Journey's End", Michael told me quite explicitly about their plans for the role of the Maquis on Voyager and that he wanted "Journey" to show the roots of the Maquis even though they would later be named on DS9.

Yea, you guys are right.

I found an interesting piece of trivia at Memory Alpha regarding the Maquis that I thought I'd share:

Regarding the Maquis' origins, Ronald D. Moore commented:

The Maquis were definitely created for Voyager. When I was working on "Journey's End", Michael told me quite explicitly about their plans for the role of the Maquis on Voyager and that he wanted "Journey" to show the roots of the Maquis even though they would later be named on DS9.

Journey, that's the episode that I was thinking of as the "roots" too. I think it's really a cool thing that they took an idea and developed it over the course of TNG and DS9 so they could use it on Voyager. That's the luxury of having several series to work across.

It also show good forward thinking. Also I think this is the place to put it, in Ensign Ro they said or implied that the Bajorians were forced of their world rather than forced to live under cardassian rule.

TNG Episode "The Host" introduced the Trill although they didn't have the markings seen later in DS9. I think that the markings were taken from yet another TNG race and applied to the DS9 Trills.

Also - Vash, Q, Luxanna Troi, the Duras sisters, Alexander Rodchenko, Gowron, Worf!!!, Admiral Neychev (?), were all characters introduced on TNG who made appearances or became regular characters on DS9 (Sorry for the bad spelling!)

TNG Episode "The Host" introduced the Trill although they didn't have the markings seen later in DS9. I think that the markings were taken from yet another TNG race and applied to the DS9 Trills.

Right. The markings that the Kriosians had in TNG's The Perfect Mate are very similar to the Trill markings from DS9. They start to differ when they get to the neck. The Kriosian markings follow the hairline and then go part way down the back while Trill markings go down the side of their body (I believe). Here are links to images so you can see the similarities and differences:

Kamala - facial view

Kamala - rear view

Jadzia Dax