Sign in to follow this  
sea trooper

Carrey vs Sandler

Who do you think is better overall?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. The battle begins...

• Jim Carrey
    • Adam Sandler

The first poll in my male celebrity challenges. Long live them.

Who do you think is the better celebrity overall? Overall looks, acting abilities (in drama, comedy...), in a fight, stuff? Why do I pit these two against each other? Because.... they're past their prime. The not-so-random aging male celebrity challenge ends here!

And no insulting of any of our contestants.

I really like both actors, but the best is Jim Carrey. He has proven himself in both drama and comedy. He can be extremely funny or very serious. Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon, The Majestic, the Truman Show, all are some of my favorite movies. I've always been a Carrey fan, so my vote goes to him

Jim Carrey all the way. In terms of acting talent, there is no comparision between the two.

Definitely Jim Carrey. All the way nback when he was on In Living Color (I believe that was the name of the show) He has more range by far.

I somewhat disagree that Carrey is past his prime because he has the range to play different parts. Other comedians have performed well at older ages - Jackie Gleason, Jack Benny and Bob Hope to name a few. I wouldn't write off Carrey quite yet!

While I enjoy Sandler's comedy albums and liked him on SNL. I can't say that I've ever really loved one of his films. The Water Boy being, possibly the sole exception. While there are very few Jim Carrey movies I don't like. The man's a comedic genius. I like watching old episodes of In Living Color just to see if I can spot the genius back in those old shows. And I can.

The reason I say "past their prime" is mostly because of Fun with Dick and Jane (not all that funny) and Click (which looks downright stupid). I very much hope that they don't go the way of Robert De Niro and Steve Martin which, IMHO, really suck now and should have stopped making movies years ago. It's what good actors usually do (once again, IMO) and what with the lack of movie creativity these days, I fear most good actors' careers are doomed. When you compare Ace Ventura with Fun with Dick and Jane, you see there's a huge difference. Same goes with Adam's older movies (Little Nicky).

Anyway, I voted Carrey.

Edited by sea trooper

I like Sandler, Click looks interesting. the Waterboy, Wedding Singer and 50 first Dates are some good movies. So I can't say I hate Adam. He's also good in Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish, so he does pretty good in drama as well

Edited by Gamera

I don't dislike Sandler but Carrey is better.

EDIT: Just saw Click and I recommend it; clever updating on the old story about not taking the present for granted. :wink2:

Edited by Alterego

I never was a fan of either, in the beginning. IMO, both of them were total morons. In both cases, their roles were characters that acted like complete retards. (No offense to any retarded people.)

But it seems to me that both of them have mellowed with age, and in doing so they've actually developed some talent.

But my vote has to go to Carey. He's proven himself to be a more versatile actor.