Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

I ordered ST:DS9:The Fallen (PC Game) last week...

Has anyone played Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Fallen?

Star Trek games are usually garbage IMHO, but I heard this game was based on the Unreal engine, so I had to bite. The Unreal engine is a lot better than the Quake engine which powered Voyager:Elite Force, and what I played of Elite Force wasn't bad - just had the sloppiness I've come to expect from a Quake-based game. Unreal Tournament had a good solid engine, which was used to make perhaps the best first-person shooter to date, 2000's Deus Ex. The same engine... in a DS9 game? I'm sold.

Apparently you play Sisko, Worf, and Kira alternately, and the three must work together and with the rest of the crew. Some are voiced by their real actors, but some, like Sisko, are not. I have heard the game takes place around season 6 of DS9 and involves the pah-wraiths.

I can't wait... please don't spoil it for me if you've played it, but if you have, what do you think? It should be here any day now.

I've had it for a couple days now.

If you like DS9, you'll love seeing DS9 and the Defiant rendered in the Unreal Engine - it's real nice. The station is rather squared off in places, but it's well done. While running around on the Promenade, you can look out at the pylons and the space beyond.

However, I find the game aggravating. It's really involved to get things done, kind of like a puzzle game. Go get an isolinear chip. Take it to a computer to program it. Switch it with a defective one. (Worf's first mission.) Problem is, you don't just automatically do it. While this nearly unkillable enemy (he has a personal shield) is trying to kill you (and can kill you in 2 hits) you have to open your inventory, select the chip, use it on the computer - same thing with the switch-out - but Worf automatically picks up the chip when you find it. Also, it is hard to find one's way around the Defiant (Worf's first mission) and a Bajoran temple (Kira's first mission).

I felt like they could have done a lot better.