Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Best Trek since TNG

For me Enterprise really was the best Trek since The Next Generation. The is the obvious, we are back on an Enterprise with different standalone episodes making up the majority of the stories. Not only that but the writers seemed to ditch the focus in the interpersonal relationships of the crew and take the focus back to the adventure of exploring space and coming up against alien threats.

While I'm a huge fan of Enterprise, I wouldn't call it the best Trek since TNG. I think that DS9 was the best Trek since TOS.

I completely concur, Kor.

DS9 was the best Trek since TOS. Yes, yes, TOS was all about the alien of the week and all and that was fine for them, but after a while that gets really old. I much prefer the character-driven storylines of latter TNG and all of DS9.

TOS is still the best of Trek, though.

I really liked Enterprise but I have to disagree that it is the best trek since TNG. DS9 will always be the number 1 trek for me. The dominion war was beutifully done nad will always hold a special place in my heart.

For me, Enterprise is the best Trek since TNG. I like DS9 and think it was very well done, but I rarely watch it anymore, only because I don't like Avery Brooks' acting style, and it's been getting on my nerves lately. :assimilated: I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. :bow:

I completely concur, Kor.

DS9 was the best Trek since TOS. Yes, yes, TOS was all about the alien of the week and all and that was fine for them, but after a while that gets really old. I much prefer the character-driven storylines of latter TNG and all of DS9.

TOS is still the best of Trek, though.

While I agree with DS9 being the best Trek since TNG, I believe TOS was about more than the alien of the week. Many of its stories imo were ways of commenting on events of the time or commenting on the human condition. While I liked Enterprise, its second seaon lost several of my friends as regular watchers of the series. I kept watching but they stopped and I think a lot of people joined them in stopping their viewing of the series. Plus, though most of us wanted to see Enterprise continue - it did not. It ended after four seasons and thus never developed to the extent that DS9, TNG, or VOY did. My top favorite Trek series are TNG, DS9 and TOS - all very close in that order to my heart.

While I liked Enterprise, its second seaon lost several of my friends as regular watchers of the series. I kept watching but they stopped and I think a lot of people joined them in stopping their viewing of the series.

Why is that? What was wrong with the second season?

I think Enterprise was a good series, but on the same level as TNG and VOY. DS9 may have been a little better, tops was TOS.

While I agree with DS9 being the best Trek since TNG, I believe TOS was about more than the alien of the week.

Oh, I think TOS was more than just about alien of the week and exploring a new planet every week as well. However, anytime you have folks commenting on what was "wrong" with DS9, that is always what they are touting as what made TOS and I guess Enterprise superior. Episodic vs. serialistic (is that a word?).

I was always left wondering whatever happened with Nurse Chapel and her little crush on Spock. And what about Yeoman Rand and Kirk's little infatuation with her? Nothing can surpass the Original Series, really, but those are certainly a couple of things I wish had been fully explained, explored and laid to rest.

I really liked Enterprise but I have to disagree that it is the best trek since TNG. DS9 will always be the number 1 trek for me. The dominion war was beutifully done nad will always hold a special place in my heart.

I think the reasons that you stated there about why you love DS9 are ironically the same reasons why I disliked it and saw Enterprise as a return to form. TNG took character development quite far and I quite enjoyed the odd episode being focused on characterisation (especially notable are Family and the episode where Data starts dating, I forget the name at the moment), however DS9 seemed to be firmly focused on characterisation to a greater extent and for me it began to be to the detriment of the external situations and adventures. I think the thing I really like about Star Trek is the fact that we can go to different places and confront different threats in indivdual adventures each week, DS9 is much more constrained as a series and while I respect that some people might have found that facet of the show interesting I have to say that it was not for me quite so much.

I'm also not quite so keen on the idea of war in Star Trek, or at least a prolonged one. For me Star Trek has always been about an ideal, a time when famine and war are things that have been extinct for a long time. Now obviously Star Trek has always been about threats (threats to the crew from monsters of the week, or from other civilisations such as the Klingons) however all out war always seemed to be averted at the last moment and I guess that was something else I really liked about the show.

Ironically I liked the idea of showing a war in the Star Trek universe in Enterprise a lot more because it was meant to be about a time where humans were trying to live up to the ideals of those shows set in its future and it allowed us as viewers to see the struggle towards that ideal (knowing that humanity in the Trek universe would eventually get there) rather than see the ideal crumble as in DS9.

TNG took character development quite far

I have to disagree. Data and Worf's characters were somewhat developed but the rest of them seemed the same as they were when the series started. Ironically, one of the main things that DS9 has been applauded for is character development. Almost every character in that series was developed dramatically by the end of the series.

Ironically I liked the idea of showing a war in the Star Trek universe in Enterprise a lot more because it was meant to be about a time where humans were trying to live up to the ideals of those shows set in its future and it allowed us as viewers to see the struggle towards that ideal (knowing that humanity in the Trek universe would eventually get there) rather than see the ideal crumble as in DS9.

I don't think we saw the "ideal crumble" in DS9 ... think of the alliances against the Dominion that were forged between previous enemies. By the end of the series, you've got Klingons and Romulans fighting side by side! O.k., so Sisko tricked the Romulans into it, but good for him.:welcome:

The Dominion provided a common enemy for all of the different factions in the Alpha Quadrant. I think the Trek ideal was alive and well, and spreading to folks who were not necessarily embracing it before. Had they chosen to put a DS9 movie on the big screen, we may well have seen the Romulans OR the Klingons becoming full-fledged Federation members and not simply allies.

I think for me the perfect Trek is the original series, I was watching The Wrath of Khan last night, it was the first time for quite a while but even though I have seen it many times it just reminded me of how good Trek can be.

I know it comes down to personal opinion but TOS (including the movies) just wipes the floor with any of the others. I don't think it is any one thing, but everything from the characters to the scripts seems to gell together to make something very special indeed. So as I see TOS as the benchmark obviously anything close to it is better for me, and I think Enterprise (after DS9 and Voyager) seemed a welcome return.

The writers of ENT ditched the interpersonal relationships. But unfortunately neglected to add anything to replace it, thus leaving a huge void where character development and quality writing needed to be.

Looks like someone's been digging through the archives.

My opinion is this....

DS9 is the best Trek since TOS.

ENT is third, followed by TNG, and the cellar dweller is VOY.

In that order, IMO.

I've made no secret that DS9 is my all time favorite Trek and has the all time best episode of any of the series in "In The Pale Moon Light", just a brilliant episode and ranked by STF's membership as the #1 trek episode in all of Trek I might add.

TNG was good after the 3rd season, as it went with most of the other modern incarnations and I'm a TNG fan but when given a choice of watching a TNG episode or a DS9 episode I'll pick DS9 probably 8 times out of 10. Keeping in mind though that while I'm watching that DS9 episode my TiVo is recording the TNG episode so I can watch it next.

On the subject of character development DS9 runs circles around all of the other series, an example of which is Nog. Look at Nog in Emissary and tell me if you could imagine him at that time developing into the Nog of "The Seige of AR-558" or "It's Only a Paper Moon". That was great character development, and the same could be said for the other main characters as well.

I watch Enterprise now and I'm left with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. There was so much potential with Enterprise and it was thrown away. I just watched "Cease Fire" for the first time in a couple years and the promise of the Shran/Archer relationship was so ripe, more stories should have been written for that development and the eventual formation of the Federation.

I think the place where Enterprise went wrong was by adding a large chunk of un-written Federation history with the Temporal Cold War. I enjoyed the stories and didn't have a problem with it, but it seems that a large chunk of the fandom did. I just wish that they had resolved the Temporal Cold War by the of the 2nd season and then focused on the Shran/Archer/Soval relationship. There was pure gold to be mined there.

1.TOS/Enterprise

2.TNG

3.Voyager

these at least explored lots of different places and Civilizations (Star Ships)

4.DS9 (find being stuck on a Space Station dull) so they needed the action to come to them or use the shuttles to go places.

although is true how fascinating how Nog would become the first Ferengi in Starfleet (foreshadowed in "Future Imperfect")on TNG.

I wouldn't really call Defiant a shuttle. :dude:

Defiant is one of my favorite ships. I wish they could have used it more often. I was glad to see it used in "First Contact".

4.DS9 (find being stuck on a Space Station dull) so they needed the action to come to them or use the shuttles to go places.

Defiant and the runabouts were classed as "starships" not shuttles.

First off can we get mopo off the boards please? He has been posting ads for the past hour or so.

Anyway I love ENT. But I don't think it really found a groove till the 4th season. The multiple episode story arcs were the best episodes of the series. One of the flaws of series that continued to frustrate me was the primary focus on Trip, Archer, and T'pol. Yes, they are interesting but what I loved about the rest of the Star Trek series was every character grew. With ENT it was pretty much those three. If ENT was given the chance to go on for 3 more series I'm sure the of the characters would have gotten a chance.

I was a watcher of star trek since I was a kid. What truly made me a Star Trek fan was the finale of VOY. I never saw an episode till the series finale. I know it's kinda sad. I was so blown away I had to watch reruns of everything. I admit I don't have an opinion of DS9 simply because I have only seen like 3 episodes. TNG and TOS are classics by their own definition.

I believe that the main reason why some fans didn't like VOY was because the females are in power. You have Janeway, Torres, and Seven. All of them are very dominate characters. Some people may not like that.\

(I still have 'endgame' on tivo and I can't stop watching it)

It would appear that mopo is just another spammer.

Did you report him? If you didn't, then I will.

After I click on a few of those links.... :P

I see that particular post was deleted.

Thank you to whoever did the deleting. :biggrin:

Edited by Gummy

gotta be DS9. just loved the quadrent wide war thing. best space battles sci fi has ever known

DS9 had its own great moments/storylines. But I still love TOS. Especially the remastered episodes.

to tell you the truth, i see TOS kinda like an ugly, disgusting but necessary precursor to the newer series. kinda like the medical procedures they performed on old wooden navy ships and what they have done for medicine today. essentially they just butchered everything, but it slowly transformed into something of infinite complexity and detail.