Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Trinneer Remains Disappointed in 'These Are the Voyages...'

Tucker actor was unhappy with the way Paramount handled 'Enterprise' cancellation and finale.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/050606_01.shtml

Michelle

June 4, 2006 - 11:52 PM

Connor Trinneer said that he remains upset about the finale of Star Trek Enterprise and what he feels was the manipulation of the fans.

"I think we were as a cast more bothered by the fact that the episode itself was sort of taken from our hands and ultimately made as a Next Generation episode," Trinneer told fans at FedCon XV last month in an interview recorded by SF Radio (via TrekWeb). "I think that, you know, we felt as though we'd done all this work and devoted four years of our lives to this show...I don't really know what they were thinking, quite frankly."

Trinneer was quick to add that he did not blame the Next Generation co-stars with whom he worked on "These Are the Voyages..." "I love Jonathan Frakes and Marina [sirtis], they're fantastic people, great actors...but we really sort of felt like, 'Let us put [our show] to bed,' and we were unable to do that."

However, Trinneer was equally disturbed by having heard that a Paramount executive might have spoken to a fan group about the possibility that fans could raise sufficient funds to pay for a fifth season for Enterprise. "I don't think that Paramount ever, for a moment, was considering a season five -- and I don't know who, in the higher echelon of that company, said that," he stated, noting that he found the suggestion offensive. "Shame on them for saying to the fans, 'Well, if you pay for it, we'll put it back on.'" He felt that people could use their money for "much better things" than millions of dollars to revive a television show: "This is a movie studio, and to ask fans to pay for their project, I thought was kind of unforgivable."

TrekWeb points out that Paramount officially denies ever having held talks with TrekUnited, the group that was attempting to solicit millions of dollars from fans and corporations to bring back Enterprise, and StarTrek.com stated repeatedly that a fan-funded fifth season was never under consideration.

Excerpts from Trinneer's interview may be found here and here.

I think all of the actors got a bum deal by UPN all the way through the series. I was so glad UPN folded. But CT really got a bum deal in the finale - Tucker's death scene was a haphazard addition to a choppy uneven plot.

On o positive note - I've noticed CBS has had Trinneer in guest roles on several of their series. Numb3rs, NCIS, Close to Home - unfortunately I've missed a couple of those. Sadly, I didn't see him in the cast of any next season shows - he is such a talented actor.

Interestingly I think he's gotten the starring role in two of the most intense episodes in Scifi history. ENT's "Similitude" and SGA's "Michael" were both very thought provoking and he did and outstanding job in both. He outshone the regular cast in SGA

Interestingly I think he's gotten the starring role in two of the most intense episodes in Scifi history. ENT's "Similitude" and SGA's "Michael" were both very thought provoking and he did and outstanding job in both. He outshone the regular cast in SGA

I finally saw him in 'Michael', and it was an excellent episode. It was especially troubling to watch the attempt to deceive him as to who he really was.

I have to agree it was rather disappointing that they did not make it an ENT standalone episode instead of a holodeck simulation.

Hi

I understand Trinneer, it is a awfull episode. Very disapointing. I think season 3 and 4 of Enterprise are some of the best Star TRek i have seen and then i end with such a flop.

Kim

it is indeed disappointing. It should have ended with the episode prior. Archer's speech has a great way to end it

Edited by The Kryptonian

I think there is still unhappiness over this episode and the cancelation of ENT. I hope there will be more new Star Trek airing on television in the future, although with the cost of production, it will require solid writing, an intriguing script, and support from network bigwigs.

Trinneer Remains Disappointed in 'These Are the Voyages...'

Him and like 99% of everyone else...

I'm not unhappy that Enterprise was canceled. However, they should have closed it out in an exclusively-Enterprise plot that actually closed the loop of beginning a Federation and including Archer's speech. What they did instead by tying it to TOS and TNG was present an end to the entire franchise which wasn't their goal and they picked a bad way to do it.

However, Trinneer was equally disturbed by having heard that a Paramount executive might have spoken to a fan group about the possibility that fans could raise sufficient funds to pay for a fifth season for Enterprise. "I don't think that Paramount ever, for a moment, was considering a season five -- and I don't know who, in the higher echelon of that company, said that," he stated, noting that he found the suggestion offensive. "Shame on them for saying to the fans, 'Well, if you pay for it, we'll put it back on.'" He felt that people could use their money for "much better things" than millions of dollars to revive a television show: "This is a movie studio, and to ask fans to pay for their project, I thought was kind of unforgivable."

TrekWeb points out that Paramount officially denies ever having held talks with TrekUnited, the group that was attempting to solicit millions of dollars from fans and corporations to bring back Enterprise, and StarTrek.com stated repeatedly that a fan-funded fifth season was never under consideration.

It's a shame that Trinneer couldn't get his facts straight before speaking on matters he is clueless about.

Ah, the finale..having Jonathan, and Marina back on the small screen..great. The show as a whole..not so much. Killing Trip..c'mon! Yes, hero's death, etc...but, I recall coming away, as a fan from the start(grew up on Classic-loved the whole concept-and the Season four tie-ins) feeling as if something was lacking. I can certainly understand Connor's feelings...by the way, love 'ol Trip! Great character. The next finest Southern guy, since Bones...and wonderful De Kelley. Anyway, when you are about to cancel a series, there should be the focus on....hmmm. Oh, yeah-the caaassstt! However, for fans Trip, and Ent., anyone read the Pocket books novel, about our fave engineer's 'true' fate? Far better than the Grim Reaper! Did like the segue at the end, with the three captains. Like Shran. But, not as the plot focus of the last one....needed bigger stakes, like STV, or TNG's endings.