Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The Vulcans have something called IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations) which explains there idea and philosophy of logic plus there ideas of what that means and how it should be used in there civilization.

My question to you is how to you view there logic and philosophy?

I mean when looking at there philosophical perspective of logic and the lack of emotion what do you think of this and feel about it?

Do you agree when Spock’s half brother said the key is to understand ones own emotions and then can build up a philosophical outlook in the world?

For example emotion often dictates our philosophy, actions, ideas, and so on about specific events or occasions. So this could be looked at (I’m more playing devil’s advocate then being completely objective, so please don’t completely be negativity about what I say) as a barrier between them. Not in the light that separates them, but in the light that the dictations of oneself is driven by it.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I probably should clarify what I mean a bit more. Do you think lack of emotions hinder the development of one self and ideas of philosophical discussion? And so on . . . .

Master Q

Do you think lack of emotions hinder the development of one self and ideas of philosophical discussion? And so on . . . .

It's my Personal Opinion that without Emotions...You Are Lacking Something Very Important In Life

I probably should clarify what I mean a bit more. Do you think lack of emotions hinder the development of one self and ideas of philosophical discussion? And so on . . . .

I don't think that the Vulcans lack emotion, but rather surpress their emotions better then humans. At least that's the impression I got from Sarek in TNG. I've always thought that Vulcans are probably far more complex emotionaly then they let on. :look: That said, I think your emotions make up a big part of who you are.

I believe that one should learn to control their emotions at times, to express them fully at other times, and essentially learn when and when not to express one's current state of emotion.

Emotion is an essential part of the human personallity. Can't speak for the Vulcans, seeing as emotions nearly caused them to destroy themselves... :look:

Master Q

Wow, I'm having a deja vu moment. It seems like I've seen this topic before - maybe on another board.

The short answer - if lack of emotions was a naturally occuring phenomenon in the species then the lack of said emotions would not affect the "true" development of the individual.

But it is not a naturally occuring state in Vulcans. They spend years of training to suppress all emotions. Some people like to throw in the term evolve. Vulcans did not evolve into an emotionless species. If over time their DNA mutated so that their brains no longer produced emotion inducing chemicals you could say they had evolved. But they still possess the physical capacity for emotion. They made a consious, cultural decision to suppress emotions.

I also think there is a distinction between suppressing emotion and controlling emotion. And personally I think the latter reflects a stronger, healthier character.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I would have to agree that there is a difference between supressing and controling emotions. Supressing the emotions only hides them from others and allows them to build up, and if they are then released, everyone had better run. When Sarek's let go that was not pretty. But if someone can control there emotions and allow a release in appropriate ways it makes them a stronger person.