towelday.gif*

Is coming in two weeks.... For fans of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Douglas Adams, this a most momentous and noteworthy holiday wherein which you carry a towel throughout the entire length of the day in memorial and recognition of the great writer DNA/Douglas N. Adams and his increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's trilogy of five-books..

Seeing as I've been doing this for over a year now, I plan to come dressed as Arthur Dent on that day myself.

Feel free to spread signal thereof, by-the-way.. :laugh: I'm hoping the fan-participation of this holiday increases with each coming year....

300px-Towelday.jpg

*Spreading the signal phpBB-style...

Edited by DrWho42

Steelers Terrible Towel?

I know what you mean, Joe. I have no idea what they are talking about in this thread either!

Ill be taking one with me to work, And ill get as many ppl at work to bring one as possible.

Yeah, last I've told as many people as I could on LiveJournal by way of groups, &c., but now I'm not thereon as much... Hopefully news of this holiday would circulate by word of mouth good enough to make such missions not as necessary.

From the book and for those strags in the audience....

150px-DNA_with_H2G2_towel.JPG

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels. A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value---you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you---daft as a brush, but very, very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally have lost. What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Less than one week before the arrival of this holiday.... Six days for the other Earthican time-zones..

Two days till thereto.... Be sure to bring a towel, or consider yourself a strag.