Stephen of Borg

Do You Play Video Games?

VG  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• yes
    • no

This just came out in the news

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The video game industry, which supported 144,000 full-time jobs and accounted for more than $8 billion in game sales in 2004, had an $18 billion impact on the U.S. economy that year, according to a new study to be released on Wednesday.

Estimates call for video game sales to grow to $15 billion by 2010. Industry employment is expected to leap nearly 75 percent to 250,000 jobs by 2009.

The study, written by Robert Crandall of the Brookings Institution and J. Gregory Sidak of the Georgetown University Law Center, was funded by the Entertainment Software Association and will be discussed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

The authors found that direct and indirect contributions of entertainment software to the nation's gross national output, a measure of the value of goods and services produced in an economy, exceeded $18 billion in 2004 -- a figure they said would steadily increase as the industry grows.

The North America video game market, including sales of games and players such as consoles and hand-held devices, was valued at $12.6 billion in 2005 and is forecast to expand to $17.2 billion by 2010, according to research firm DFC Intelligence.

which leads to the poll, do you play video games? They did a national poll last year and the average age of a person who plays video games is 27 years old which proves that it's not just the kids who play, but actually more adults do. Obviously because they used to play as kids and still do.

I have no shame in saying that I play video games all of the time and I'm 23. Over the years, I easily have over 500 video games collected in the house. So, whether it's X-box or just a game of Checkers on the computer, do you play video games?

Edited by Gamera

I have a Gamecube in the living for multiplayer games (mainly sports stuff), but most of my gaming is done on the PC.

Edited by Charface

I don't have time to play video games because I work all the time. Plus, I'm afraid of them. I think that they have gotten way too complicated for me... :laugh:

I think Atari is more my speed. THOSE games I can play...lol

Oh yes. I love video games. I've made it no secret how much I love the Resident Evil series. I stayed up until 4 in the morning playing and plan to do the same today.

Yep.

I have a GameCube in my room ,with a GameBoy Advance adapter on it

I have a GameBoy SP that I usually stash in my purse, and in our living room we have a Playstation2 (mainly play Karaoke Revolutions I - IV on that one :laugh: )

If you were to cut me, I would bleed polygons.

I am a fanatical gamer.

My favourite games are:

The Grand Theft auto series

Bloodrayne

World of Warcraft

Star Wars Galaxies

And soon to be Star Trek online when it's finally released!!!

totally. i love video games. i've been playing along time. my all time fave game of all time is mario. i 've got a gamecube and a ps2. the ps2 is strictly mine while the gamecube is the whole family. i also play stuff on the pc. i have quite a few trek games for it.

i don't think there will ever be a time where i wont' play video games in some manner.

tm

All the time. A few days ago, I finished Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. This morning, I beat Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, and I'm about halfway through it again (I want to see the alternate ending). And after I finish it again, I'm going to play... yep, you guessed it... Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Then I'm going to finish The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge. :laugh:

Yes and it was the N64 Home Game System

and some temporary video games that I downloaded from hotbar.com / realarcade.com and if i could add as a online game site (www.pogo.com)

:welcome::klingon::spock::spock:

I absolutely love video games, but I really hate PC games. I just don't find sitting at a computer to play a game very relaxing or comfortable. Feels too much like being at work.

We have PS2, PS1 and GameCube. My favorite games are Resident Evil (all but RE3 ... I thought it was kind of lame), Eternal Darkness (why in the world has there not been a sequel created for that game?), and Silent Hill (first one only, I found the sequels to that kind of lame).

We're always looking for new games to play, but most of them pale in comparison to the ones I've mentioned above. Anyone have any suggestions? I also enjoyed the Parasite Eve games.

Yep I do. I personally have my laptop, an XBox, and a Gameboy Advance SP. Though total in our house there is an Atari, a NES, a super NES, a Nintendo 64, 2 Gamecubes, 3 Gameboy Advances, a Sega, a Sega Genesis, a Sega Dreamcast, 2 PS1s, 2 PS2s, 2 PSPs, and 2 XBoxs. Most of these are systems my little brother aquired over the years.

v to gul

You have Kingdom Hearts or #2? If you had X-Box, I'd recommend Fable. That game rocks! :laugh: It's easily one of my favorite games of all time. Not to brag, but I have all three systems so let me try to recommend some things.

For the PS2 and PS, you can't go wrong with the Legacy of Kain series (Blood Omen 1 & 2, Soul Reaver 1 & 2 and Defiance). All of them have very deep interesting stories, beautiful graphics and star two Trek alumni, Rene (Odo) and Michael Bell (the Bendi from "Encounter At Farpoint")

all the systems I have are

N64

Sega Genesis

X-Box

X-Box 360

Gamecube

Atari

Gameboy Advanced

Playstation

Playstation 2

Edited by Gamera

For the PS2 and PS, you can't go wrong with the Legacy of Kain series (Blood Omen 1 & 2, Soul Reaver 1 & 2 and Defiance). All of them have very deep interesting stories, beautiful graphics and star two Trek alumni, Rene (Odo) and Michael Bell (the Bendi from "Encounter At Farpoint")

Are these games you mention more "fighting" or more "puzzles" or a good combination of both? That's what I liked best about RE0, RE, and RE2 ... the puzzles and keys were as much or more part of the game as the fighting. RE4 was fairly heavy on the fighting, but the game was just beautiful to look at so I'll cut it some slack.

I'll look at my game store for the series you've mentioned.

Do you find the graphics better on GameCube or X-box? I can't imagine a game "looking" better than RE4.

Thanks for the tips.

It's an Action/Adventure with a few puzzle thrown in. It's a highly recommend series that has great acting in it and some of the games have behind-the-scenes look at the making of the games and has interviews with Michael and Rene. Rene is on the games (Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and Defiance) but Michael plays the main character in (Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Defiance)

A PS game I really love that I recommend if you like RPGs is "the Legend of Dragoon". I'm not big into RPGs, but this is definitely worth getting. You need to read about it, the story is very interesting.

Edited by Gamera

I've been playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Xbox 360 for the past couple of weeks. Oh my god. that game is so amazing!

Yes i do..on different platforms(PC,XBOX 360,PSP,PS2) the last month or so i have been playing Need For Speed Most Wanted on my xbox 360 and CounterStrike online with my computer :tribble: