Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

any Drive-in Movie Fans here

Me and Alana hit our 1st Drive-in movie last night, it was cold but we sat outside under our Blankets and watched RV, and Benchwarmers, anybody else go to Drive-ins

i have 2 in a 15 mile radius here where I live, the one where I went to last night has 3 seperate screens

Lots of Drive-in have closed, but some still survive. Checking google there seem to still be 13 operating in Illinois. One of the closest to Chicago is in West Chicago. If I can find an article I remember reading about drive-in movie theaters, I'll post it.

I only went to drive-ins a few times, but I view them as great Americana, and an important part of American entertainment history.

i've gone. there's two in my area but i always go to the one about 20 minutes from my house. haven't gone in a few years. it's soo much fun though. except the whole waiting for the rest room during intermission. i love the drive in. wish more people could experience them.

tm

I haven't been to a drive-in since high school (and yes, that was quite a few years ago). We went to the drive-in all the time when I was a kid. There was just something so great about going to see a movie in your pajamas. LOL

Drive-Ins are sadly, things of the past where I live.

When I was a kid I loved going. Me and my siblings and our friends would lay on the roof of our car or stretch out on lawn chairs in the bed of my dad's truck.

I remember the old Starlite Drive-In. There were these big palm trees all around the perimeter of the place, and at night the wind would blow through them and make an eerie rustling sound. And the cats...for some reason tons of strays lived in and around the theater (which was out in the boonies, not in town) and they'd be yowling and fighting so loudly at times, you could barely hear the movie.

The last film I saw there was "Clash of the Titans" (it was a double feature with the Rankin Bass version of "The Hobbit"). I was sleeping by the time Bilbo Baggins and the Dwarves set out from the Shire on their quest....I was just a kid back then, and couldn't stay awake too long. :laugh:

Lord, I haven't thought about the drive-in in a long time.

Edited by APW

I didn't realize there were any drive-ins left?

Same here. I thought they were all gone. :laugh:

I've never been to one anyway.

We have one Drive-In theater fairly close to where I live. Its been around for about 50 years and still packs them in. I love going there. Check it out: www.Bengies.com

Edited by Kor37

The local drive in closed here about 5 years ago. They tore it down to make room for a Kohl's. The racetrack next to it just shut down about a few months ago, they're putting in a Target and a Wegmans.

All the drive-ins I went to as a child have closed down, but it was a family treat and we loved to go. My favorite one had ponies ( it's true!) so families would get there early so the children could ride the ponies. Then we would fall asleep before the second feature was over, leaving the parents with time to themselves, kinda.

It's been quite a time since I've been to a drive-in myself... Used to go to this one in El Centro oft myself.

i have 2 in a 15 mile radius here where I live, the one where I went to last night has 3 seperate screens

Yea, there are 2 near where I live too. One is about 30 miles away but the other is right outside of town about 10 miles from my house. Both are only single screens, but they show two movies a night every weekend during the summer. I try to get to the closer one at least once every year, if there is a good movie playing.

We too have two DI's (one a three screener) within driving distance but we don't go to them. We became spoiled by the local cineplex, (AMC) with their stadium seating, SDDS and the intimacy of being so close to the hugh screens (even in the back row.)

"The Bengies", the only Drive-In still left in the area, still plays cartoons and 3 Stooges shorts before and after movies. Do your's still do this?