Sign in to follow this  
thayln

The Summer of Mars

Click for Spoiler:

marsarch_pacholka_big.jpg

Mars Rising Through Arch Rock

Credit & Copyright: Wally Pacholka (Astropics)

Picture located at NASA's APOD Archive

By Joe Rao,

Farmers' Almanac Astronomer

"This year, and exceedingly rare astronomical event is going to take place. In late August 2003, Mars will shine far brighter and loom far larger in our night sky as it approaches Earth more closely than any previous time in recorded history....All you'll need to do is look low in the east-southeast sky on any clear night after dark, and you'll see Mars as a fiery yellow-orange "star" (you'll actually be looking at its dusty deserts) blazing brilliantly in the sky.

...On August 28, Mars will be at "opposition," the moment when the Sun, Earth, and Mars will form a straight line...Mars's closet approach to Earth usually occurs several days before or after opposition. Mars will be within 34,646,488 miles of Earth at 4:51am EST on August 27, 2003, which is just about as close as is possible.

"On that date, the Earth-Mars distance will be the smallest it has been in at least 5,000 years...," says astronomer Myles Standish of the Jet propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA."

That is a beautiful picture! I cannot wait for this, I am going to make SURE my telescope is cleaned and calibrated for the event..

That is a beautiful picture! I cannot wait for this, I am going to make SURE my telescope is cleaned and calibrated for the event..

:biggrin: How about we have a star party on line? Would you like to set up the date and time all interested could observe and post our observations for analysis? (That is techno talk for

just have a good time about it) :o

:o How about we have a star party on line? Would you like to set up the date and time all interested could observe and post our observations for analysis? (That is techno talk for

just have a good time about it) :biggrin:

You know AE, that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea! WE should do such a thing. It would be a blast to get analysis from various places for this event. I know I will be wishing, hoping and praying for crystal clear skies that night.

:o How about we have a star party on line? Would you like to set up the date and time all interested could observe and post our observations for analysis? (That is techno talk for

just have a good time about it) :biggrin:

You know AE, that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea! WE should do such a thing. It would be a blast to get analysis from various places for this event. I know I will be wishing, hoping and praying for crystal clear skies that night.

Well certainty the night of closest approach would be idea, I'll sleep in the day before and try to make of full night of observing and being online. All stargazers are welcome to join the party.

Well certainty the night of closest approach would be idea, I'll sleep in the day before and try to make of full night of observing and being online. All stargazers are welcome to join the party.

I probably will be doing the same thing. It will be awesome! I hope it ranks up there with the Lyrid meteor storm, or a really good eclipse!

I probably will be doing the same thing. It will be awesome! I hope it ranks up there with the Lyrid meteor storm, or a really good eclipse!

Yeah, just being able to make out a single surface feature would make it worthwhile for me. I remember you once said you have an excellent telescope, is it camera capable? Mines not, it is only a four inch refractor. I also wonder if there are going to be any websites connected to the eyepiece of a major world scope or two, that would be sweet, not needing to set up my scope at all, just sit right here and view Mars live all night long in the company of STF.

thayln Posted on Jul 27 2003, 08:44 AM I'm in. My favorite beach faces south/southeast. All I have are binoculars, tho.

Sweet! That makes three of us! :biggrin:

Yeah, just being able to make out a single surface feature would make it worthwhile for me. I remember you once said you have an excellent telescope, is it camera capable? Mines not, it is only a four inch refractor. I also wonder if there are going to be any websites connected to the eyepiece of a major world scope or two, that would be sweet, not needing to set up my scope at all, just sit right here and view Mars live all night long in the company of STF.

thayln Posted on Jul 27 2003, 08:44 AM I'm in. My favorite beach faces south/southeast. All I have are binoculars, tho.

Sweet! That makes three of us! :biggrin:

Mines a Meade 6" reflector. I do not have the equipment to make it camera ready...I can dream though(that stuff is expensive!) But I also have a small refreacting telescope(handheld, got it for my 5th birthday), that I'm going to share with my family members. I wish we could have a site that would allow us to see through the "eyes" of a major observatory, and in the company of friends, that would be very awesome!

Yillara, since I last posted I have found out NASA will most likely have the show live, the trick is going to be to logon soon enough before the event starts to be assured a connection. I may logon a few days in advance, it will be just like standing in line to see a new Star Wars film!

:biggrin:

Nasa may not be the only way to see it either, European scopes might be connected and/or the mags Astronomy, Sky and Telescope or others may play host as well. I'm sure there will be lots of options. CANT WAIT! *runs to restroom* :o

Yillara, since I last posted I have found out NASA will most likely have the show live, the trick is going to be to logon soon enough before the event starts to be assured a connection. I may logon a few days in advance, it will be just like standing in line to see a new Star Wars film!

:hug:

Nasa may not be the only way to see it either, European scopes might be connected and/or the mags Astronomy, Sky and Telescope or others may play host as well. I'm sure there will be lots of options. CANT WAIT! *runs to restroom* :hug:

That sounds great!!! I may do just that, log on a few days before....hmmm the rest of the family might kill me for that :wow: But I sure am going to try...

Guys! Get the telescopes out now. Mars is at its best from now until late September. At the moment one polar cap is visible and many dark features are also visible. Wait until Mars is fairly high above the horizon as the image will be less turbulent and clearer. If you don't have a polarising filter to go onto your eyepiece, get one. The filter will cut the glare and the image will improve. Also when looking at Mars remember not to look straight down the eyepiece at the planet but look to the side of the eyepiece and you will see more details (peripheral vision).

This site lists some of the equipment that you may use on a scope to improve your view. If only we could afford it all!

http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/index.htm

If you don't have a telescope, look in your local newspaper as there may be a local astronomy group; or do a search on the internet as some astronomy groups link to major astronomy sites; or just ask around.

As the day of opposition approaches you may find an astronomy group will hold a field night at a local park/school so keep your eyes peeled. Members of astronomy groups are very friendly and are happiest when they find a new ear to talk to about their favourite topic!

If you don't have a scope get out each night and watch Mars - it is an incredible colour.

Enjoy

Thanks for the tips starsinmyeyes  :P Maybe I will start viewing sooner than I planned, if I can just get my butt out of the sack!

Interesting Mars Links

Hey thanks for the link! Me, it is not about trying to get out of bed or anything....its me trying to dig my big old telescope out(who's tripod stand makes it almost as tall as me so a major awkward pain in the keister to move), get it out of our shed and calibrate the darn thing. Heehee...being lazy for once I guess... :P

For me the hard part's not taking the scope out, setting and tuning it up, the hard part will be putting it away after the event. I will leave it sitting there for me to trip over until the next Astro-event! The only reason it is currently packed up is because I had to for the move here.

Here is a good link for exploring the Pathfinder Mission.

For me the hard part's not taking the scope out, setting and tuning it up, the hard part will be putting it away after the event. I will leave it sitting there for me to trip over until the next Astro-event! The only reason it is currently packed up is because I had to for the move here.

Here is a good link for exploring the Pathfinder Mission.

Yeah, darn there is that part of a stargazing event....putting the scope away, darn..wanted forget that part. Thanks for all those links, AWESOME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

I was looking at telescopes today in the camera shop. And I was so tempted to buy one, but I didn't. But I've been very fidgety ever since I got home.

Lollypop, don't be tempted. It takes a long time to research which scope will suit you. Camera shops are not really the best place to buy one. You need to be sure that you can trust they sell good quality scopes with a guarantee that you can go to them for help or service.

meade.com has a questionaire that you can try to see what size and type of scope may be suitable for you and your situation. There are other brands like Celestron, Televue ......

There is a invaluable book called 'Starware' by Phillip Harrington which also has a questionaire and all sorts of wonderful advice and cautions when purchasing. Borrow it from your library or state library as it is quite expensive to buy ( A$90 in 1999) before you buy anything!

There are many factors to think about:

level of interest

budget

type of mount

sturdiness of mount (this is where most scopes fall down- as the mount is unsturdy and vibrates rendering the scope useless!)quality of optics

viewing only or astrophotography as well

portability

viewing planets mostly/deep sky objects or both

computer control or not

dobsonian/schmidt cassegrain/schmidt newtonian/refractor........

I wouldn't buy one just for the Mars opposition as you will regret it. It took me three years of steady research, talking to other amateurs and taking opportunities to look through different types of scopes and sizes of scopes to finally decide.

For the opposition as I said, if you don't have a scope find a local person with a scope or local group, look through theirs and then talk to them about their scopes if you are still serious about buying one.

Email me if you are still unsure if want to ask questions because it is bamboozlling. I've been there and done that! :look:

I wouldn't buy one just for the Mars opposition as you will regret it.  It took me three years of steady research, talking to other amateurs and taking opportunities to look through different types of scopes and sizes of scopes to finally decide.

I agree completely, actually to your entire post. It is a difficult process to go through...

starsinmyeyes, What is your opinion on a Meade 6" Reflector? I have had that scope since my 10th birthday, and one day I hope to maybe get a better stand for it, since the one it had/has is rather clumsy and difficult to move around.

Lollypop, don't be tempted.  It takes a long time to research which scope will suit you.  Camera shops are not really the best place to buy one.  You need to be sure that you can trust they sell good quality scopes with a guarantee that you can go to them for help or service.

meade.com  has a questionaire that you can try to see what size and type of scope may be suitable for you and your situation. There are other brands like Celestron, Televue ......

There is a invaluable book called  'Starware' by Phillip Harrington which also has a questionaire and all sorts of wonderful advice and cautions when purchasing.  Borrow it from your library or state library as it is quite expensive to buy ( A$90 in 1999) before you buy anything!

There are many factors to think about:

level of interest

budget

type of mount

sturdiness of mount (this is where most scopes fall down- as the mount is unsturdy and vibrates rendering the scope useless!)quality of optics

viewing only or astrophotography as well

portability

viewing planets mostly/deep sky objects or both

computer control or not

dobsonian/schmidt cassegrain/schmidt newtonian/refractor........

I wouldn't buy one just for the Mars opposition as you will regret it.  It took me three years of steady research, talking to other amateurs and taking opportunities to look through different types of scopes and sizes of scopes to finally decide.

For the opposition as I said, if you don't have a scope find a local person with a scope or local group, look through theirs and then talk to them about their scopes if you are still serious about buying one.

Email me if you are still unsure if want to ask questions because it is bamboozlling.  I've been there and done that! ;)

Goodness I never thought it would be this complicated. :unsure:

The last time I looked through a telescope it was my brothers. And I saw the rings of Saturn, and the moons of Jupiter. And his telescope is used mainly for bird watching.

I agree completely, actually to your entire post. It is a difficult process to go through...

starsinmyeyes, What is your opinion on a Meade 6" Reflector? I have had that scope since my 10th birthday, and one day I hope to maybe get a better stand for it, since the one it had/has is rather clumsy and difficult to move around.

Is your old mount german equatorial, altazimuth or ??????? What really bugs you about it? Talk to others and see if there is a solution to the problem or do all mounts suffer the same problem in some form. I tend to find that the sturdier mounts are too heavy to cart around and the more portable mounts tend to vibrate. If you buy a different mount think about: Do you want it to be portable? Is it easy to put together in the dark? Does it wobble or flex? If the scope is bumped how long does it take for the vibrations to settle down? Ask around and sus out the different mounts.

I don't know about the Meade 6" Reflector. I like reflectors as they are light buckets and are great for seeing faint deep sky objects, fine for planetary observing and you get more aperature for the price you pay. Other people disagree and like refractors or schmidt-cassegrains. I also have a 16" dobsonian reflector which I have to coliminate quite often. Do you have to coliminate your reflector quite often or not?

Mounts- I have a Meade 10" Schmidt Newtonian on a german equatorial mount. The scope is good value for its level of sophisication and will satisfy my interest for a long time to come. Even though it is a good scope, the mount is a tripod type and is easy to carry because it is light, a lot of vibration does occur. The vibration does settle down quite quickly and the mount is sturdy.

Click for Spoiler:

sn-series_lxd55.gif

I like pier mounts but they are less portable or are for a permament setup and for larger scopes.

Click for Spoiler:

16eq_starfinder.gif

I am going to try very hard to make it out to the foothills just east of Fresno to check out this event.I missed Halley's comet as a Kid,I missed a close Mars approach back in the late 80's,early 90's.I don't want to miss this,too. :bow:

I am going to try very hard to make it out to the foothills just east of Fresno to check out this event.I missed Halley's comet as a Kid,I missed a close Mars approach back in the late 80's,early 90's.I don't want to miss this,too. :bow:

Oh, I hope so too, I think its going to be awesome, Mars is getting pretty bright already... I am just praying that it does not rain that day...I am so sick of that.

The Moon has gotten out of the early evening sky, that means for the next two week leading up the the closest approach (and two weeks after) are going to be the best viewing times, don't miss this once in a life time opportunity to see Mars at it's finest.

OH YEAH!!!! now that sounds awsome. i'll be down in norfolk again this friday for a week, so i can go out and check it out down there. all this talk about telescopes, and the ability to take pics through them are making me drool. i used to have a teacher heavily into stargazing, and i loved going up to his scope on some clear nights, it was awsome. i always wanted to get one myself. maybe after i get back to work and back on my feet, ill look into it, of course with the ability to take the pics too, i love photography. now when night time roles around ill just have to remember to go out, and check it out. i seen something that said east/southeast, so does this mean i should be able to see it over the ocean from the beach in VA?

i seen something that said east/southeast, so does this mean i should be able to see it over the ocean from the beach in VA?

Yep, if it's clear and you look at it there will be no doubt in your mind that you are seeing it, it looks like a red Venus, VERY bright, enjoy!