Sign in to follow this  
morbius

Questions about Futures End and Relativity

I have a question. At the end of Futures End part 2, when they stop Henry Starling the Timeship Aeon appears with Braxton. The puzzled Voyager crew asks how can this be and he explains that he never experienced the timeline when he was stranded for 3 decades. Yet in the ep Relativity Braxton tells 7 of 9 he was stranded for 3 decades. Whats going on here? :welcome:

Oh as I am new here I might as well say hello to everyone here :spock:

The only thing I can think of is that the two Braxtons were reintegrated. If I remember correctly, in Relativity, there were 3 Braxtons, but after they were all caught his first officer said that they'd all be reintegrated. So it's probably something like that.

Basically time travel is a complicated process and should never be ventured in the future, ha ha funny joke... nevermind

I'm sure it could be explained away but I think it was just a blooper.

I'm starting to think it was a blooper too. In that event

Sack Berman

Edited by morbius

It is unclear exactly how the "Relativity" Braxton later remembers the events of a timeline that never existed, but it seems likely that the effects of temporal psychosis cause such an event.

There's what Memory Alpha has to say about this. It's in the Captain Braxton entry.

At the end of Relativity part2 and Starling is dead isn't Braxton still on Earth, possibly hobo Braxton and uneffected Braxton are reintegrated which is how Braxton remembers

Guest Voyager

I'm sure it could be explained away but I think it was just a blooper.

This could be true, but since time travel is so complicated, they can get away with some techincal explanation as to why this would be.

P.S - I don't know if this should be on a new thread, but since it's on the same episode, I thought it best to ask on here. If not tell me and I'll start a new thread.

My question: When Janeway and the away team leave, she says 'Ensign Kim, you have the bridge' - Or something similar to this. Just because she gave him command of the bridge at that time, doesn't mean he should be in charge while the others are gone should it? I mean, Torres is a higher rank, but she said 'The Captain left you in charge.' Shouldn't Torres have been in charge since she was of the higher rank?

Nothing just disappear, not unless done intentionally.

Basic time travel, don't erase past timelines, hence the old Braxton is still around, unless killed.

The new Braxton will eventually retrieve his past self & by protocol reintegrate with him & he'll know & feel everything his alternate self does.

:)

A strange protocol IMO, why infect with their own people with alternate problems.

:laugh:

What about Guinan? She remembers things that happened in other timelines. Did she have temporal psychosis too? Do all El Aurians have this?

It's not the same with Guinan, her memories in Yesterday's Enterprise were caused by a "natural" incursion into another time line and Temporal Psychosis is not a side effect in natural incursions. It's the "man made" incursions that cause a risk.

My question: When Janeway and the away team leave, she says 'Ensign Kim, you have the bridge' - Or something similar to this. Just because she gave him command of the bridge at that time, doesn't mean he should be in charge while the others are gone should it? I mean, Torres is a higher rank, but she said 'The Captain left you in charge.' Shouldn't Torres have been in charge since she was of the higher rank?

Rank doesn't matter, Torres isn't a bridge officer and Kim was the one left in control. So even though Torres out ranks him she has to differ to his command.

Maybe the Braxton who turned up later was from the same timeline as the one who was stranded for three decades. There were two (known of) Tasha Yars who both lived separate lives. Why could there not have been several Braxtons as well?

Personally I think that the whole "reintegration" thing is ludicrous. What do they do? Stick them into a blender and re-mould them?

Personally I think that the whole "reintegration" thing is ludicrous. What do they do? Stick them into a blender and re-mould them?

There's actually a Star Trek precedent for re-integrating 2 parts of the same person, the TOS episode "The Enemy Within" deals with a transporter accident where Kirk is split into 2, 1 being his virtuous half and the other being his "evil" half. In the end they put them through the transporter to reintegrate them into 1 Kirk.

Rank doesn't matter, Torres isn't a bridge officer and Kim was the one left in control. So even though Torres out ranks him she has to differ to his command.

We had this debate in another forum. Generally rank does not matter. Position is more important than rank. However, rank shouldn't be ignored when the Captain makes a decision about who to place in temporary command. Generally speaking command will not be given to someone who has not passed the Bridge Officers Test unless there are no alternatives. There are also some exceptions if the Captain didn't specifically designate someone as in command but the situation requires that someone take command - for example when the Enterprise hit that quantum filament, the bridge officers were trapped elsewhere on the ship, and Troi had to take command even though she was not a line officer. (There is a real-life parallel: When the Marine barricks in Beirut or Lebanon, I forget which, were truck-bombed in the 80s the surviving ranking officer was a dentist. He was expected to take command until help arrived.) You also would not expect Acting Ensign Crusher to take command of the whole ship just because he was the only one on the bridge.

(Caveat: We really don't know when the Bridge Officer's Test came into being. It was first mentioned in "Thine Own Self" which was very close to the end of the series. We can assume that the Kobayashi Maru first seen in The Wrath of Kahn is an earlier version of this test but nothing canon says so. There isn't a lot of canon data on that test. A Wikipedia article says cadets take this test but Saavik was already a Lieutenant when she took it.)

However, the specific language the Captain uses in transferring authority matters. If the Captain says "You have the bridge" that means that person is in charge of the operations of the bridge crew, but that is it. A senior officer elsewhere on the ship can overrule him or even take command from where he is. It does not mean he has been given command of the entire ship unless the Captain says "You have command".

If that's how they do it, than it is ludicrous, which I doubt its the case.

:clap: