Sign in to follow this  
Odo

Gift card

How do i do it

Its a master card gift card want to donate some

but not all.

In some of the moderators' profiles there is a Paypal button. Select it and you could donate something thru that with either a major credit card or Paypal accout (if you have one). You can donate anything you wish. I believe VBG, AE and Takara have the PayPal button in their sig.

Is this a donation to the site?

The PayPal button is also on the bottom of the Portal page.

No this is not a donation site

VBG pays for it out of his own pocket

if you want to help it welcome but not solicited

I don't understand. Several have donated thru PayPal to help VBG and express their thanks. That is what being a Sustaining Member is all about.

There are many members that have donate to this site. I am one of them. Just hit paypal and donate how much you can afford give to VGB.

I was unaware of any of this. VGB pays for this site out of his own pocket? I guess I never knew how these things run.

Yes, in order to maintain a domain name and full IPB features, it costs some money.

Yes, in order to maintain a domain name and full IPB features, it costs some money.

Just curious.. How much does it cost on average?

Just curious.. How much does it cost on average?

I do not know how much VBG actually pays a month. But I maintain a website which supports MySql, PHP, PERL, myPHPAdmin, phpBB and a Blog. Plus has 400gig bandwidth per month, 10 gig storage. It costs me $20.00 a month. I believe VBG's cost is higher.

That dollar amount that I mentioned was only an example and isn't the total amount we've gotten. I just pulled a number out of the air as an example.

As for the upkeep of the board there's different aspects to the costs. I pay the server (Invision) $600 a year to host STF. The Chat room is $100 a year and the Gallery is $60 a year and the domain name (STF) is either $15 or $30 a year, I forget how much it is but it's one of those 2.

The $600 a year that I'm paying to Invision has gone up from $119 a year to $600 a year in just 18 months. The reason for the large increase in the fee is because of the growth of the site, the larger we grow the more demands the site places on the server (the host computer we're based on) and the more they charge lol.

As it is right now we're averaging about 5 million hits per month and that causes a lot of traffic which uses a lot of the host computer's resources. As that resource load grows I have to upgrade the boards service package to keep us online. Right now I think we're set for a while until we have to upgrade again.

On one hand I'd love to have to upgrade again because that would mean we have A LOT of new members but on the other hand if we have to upgrade again the service fee I'll be paying will skyrocket up to about $1440 a year :lol: and I don't even like to think about that lol.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

As you can see, it is a lot. And that was 2 years ago. Imagine what he pays now...

I'm getting a check card again so I can be able to donate more money.

Edited by sea trooper

I am planning on donating again next month.

It is all for the love of Trek.

What do you suppose the average donation is?

I'll do my part and pitch in..

Edited by Kor37

I did it before I made it out of the cadet stage :P it feels good to lend a hand...the more of my books people buy, the more i'll donate here too lol... How do you go about getting that gold pressed latinum bar below your name?

I did it before I made it out of the cadet stage :P it feels good to lend a hand...the more of my books people buy, the more i'll donate here too lol... How do you go about getting that gold pressed latinum bar below your name?

When you donate to the site, VGB puts the gold pressed latinum bar by your name.

When you donate to the site, VGB puts the gold pressed latinum bar by your name.

So I just need to wait for our loyal commanding officer to catch up and latinum me up :clap:

Normally VBG, (VaBeachGuy/Kevin) sets the tag in a members account when he gets notified of member donation but circumstances in this case warrant an alternative action therefore I have set it for you.

The lowest donation possible is 1 cent. However, PayPal imposes a surcharge on VBG for the transaction that eats up that 1 cent. So the lowest practical donation is 2 cents.

We used to publish the chat room trivia contests, when we had them, on the main page. One time I got a 2-point question right, and it was the ONLY question I got right, but because it was the first time I played it counted as a promotion. Everyone saw names with point counts in the hundreds and thousands and then "Lt. Van Roy - 2 points"

I was so proud of my 2-point promotion that I donated 2 cents. :P

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

The lowest donation possible is 1 cent. However, PayPal imposes a surcharge on VBG for the transaction that eats up that 1 cent. So the lowest practical donation is 2 cents.

We used to publish the chat room trivia contests, when we had them, on the main page. One time I got a 2-point question right, and it was the ONLY question I got right, but because it was the first time I played it counted as a promotion. Everyone saw names with point counts in the hundreds and thousands and then "Lt. Van Roy - 2 points"

I was so proud of my 2-point promotion that I donated 2 cents. :P

Hey Mr. Moneybags, I would sincerely hope that you donated something worthwhile since then! You and I both have the means to make a substantial contribution.

Hey Mr. Moneybags, I would sincerely hope that you donated something worthwhile since then! You and I both have the means to make a substantial contribution.

I do have the means. However, I don't trust PayPal. There have been too many fraud cases with PayPal, and Ebay which owns PayPal, for me to trust them. And the larger amounts you transact with PayPal the greater your likelihood of being a fraud target.

Someone once set up ficticious accounts in my name with both PayPal and Ebay - I have never had an Ebay account in my life - and used this to place bids on $1,250 worth of computer equipment and have it shipped to Russia. This $1,250 is the sum total of the winning bids, so you can imagine how many bids were placed that didn't win. I had to replace all my credit and ATM cards and open investigations with PayPal, Ebay which owns PayPal, Bank of America (who graciously refunded my money no questions asked), Experian, Equifax, Transunion, and the SJPD High Tech Crime Unit. They eventually turned the case over to the FBI. My boss was kind enough to give me a day and a half of work off with pay to take care of mess. You think this is a hassle? This is BELOW AVERAGE of what an identity theft victim has to go through, and many never get a cent back from anyone.

The only reason I used PayPal to put my two cents in was I was going to cancel that card soon anyway.

I've used PayPal for years and have never had a single problem. I guess I'm lucky then. But you didn't answer the question. I asked if you had subsequently contributed more than your initial 2 cents to this site.

I've used PayPal for years and have never had a single problem. I guess I'm lucky then. But you didn't answer the question. I asked if you had subsequently contributed more than your initial 2 cents to this site.

No I have not. If there is an option that doesn't involve PayPal I might consider it.

No I have not. If there is an option that doesn't involve PayPal I might consider it.

They should take away your bar of gold pressed latinum for your lousy 2 cent donation. MrPsychic sent in $5.00 once without using PayPal so other methods do indeed exist.

I have also donated to this site.

through PayPal.

Or at least i got a confermation from them

and they took my money.

Hey thats right they say they sent it

and took the cash. Never got a bar of latinum

Edited by Odo

do they have to be us dollars????

I'm sure VGB would accept gold bars as well.......... :P

i'll have a look in my chest (ahem van roy my face is up here) and see if i can get him some gold dubloons

Frankly, I'm really surprised that a mod or VGB hasn't let us know if there is a method other than PayPal to contribute to the site. I would think they would be all over that.

I thought you were joking, Roy, with that two cent thing!

AE should take that Gold Press Latinum away and replace it with...a rusty can of old-smelly-spoiled-slimily Klingon wistan gagh. :P