Sign in to follow this  
removed

DS9...ROCKS!

I used to think DS9 wasn't as good as the rest of the series'.I used to think it was kind of boring and that the characters just weren't as good as TNG's. It was the third on my list: 1. TNG, 2. ENT, 3. DS9, 4. VOY, 5. TOS.

However, I have watched DS9 alot lately. I've seen the wide variety of episodes, from the dominion war to odo loosing his powers as a changeling, to quark becoming the Grand Nagus. Now, I just have to say ...I LOVE DS9! It has all the qualities as a great show. I've taken a real shine to it. I've always liked Jadzia, Bashir, and Sisko, but I hated Quark. I've got to say, I love Ferengi's as well. The Ferengi episodes are among my favorites: Quark becoming the Grand Nagus, Qaurk and Rom rescue their mother from the Dominion, Grand Nagus Zek gets booted and Quark has to dress up like a woman to get Zek's position back AND to help female Ferengi rights. (I loved Rom's comments in the latter episode. Especially about how to walk like a woman. It was hillarious. B) ). Another thing that makes this show great is that it is unique. It's a nice break from regular Star Trek, and into a much more immersive and character based world. The characters in DS9 are actually better than the ones in TNG. They have more depth and we know so much more about them, and their backgrounds.

DS9 is one of the greatest shows I have seen in a long time, and I hate that I have only just realized this. It has bumped off Enterprise in my list, and is currently sitting at #2. It'll be hard to bump TNG off the top spot since I have watched TNG virtually all my life, but if I continue to enjoy it this much, then TNG good very well soon be sitting at the #2 spot instead.

And finally, DS9 is perfect. BRING ON A DS9 MOVIE! I've finally realized that it IS time for TNG to move aside and for DS9 to come into the spotlight. (That doesn't mean I wouldn't love another TNG movie! Lol!)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Niners! If you haven't seen all of the episodes yet then you are in for a great ride!

The best Star Trek episode ever made on any series is a DS9 episode. Season 6's In The Pale Moonlight. That Episode was just awesome.

You said that the characters have more depth, that's because the story arcs allowed them to develope the characters much more and the eposodic style of TNG only allowed them to touch the surface.

I envy you for the ability to see these episodes for the first time, I myself have seen the entire series 10 times over, and I still love seeing them each time. But to be able to disocver them for the first time would be great.

You certainly are not alone Bysty.I too am discovering DS9 for the first time..1 season at a time when the DVD sets come out..Amazing that I've never paid that much attention to DS9..It's like a brand new Star Trek series to me..Very cool.

You certainly are not alone Bysty.I too am discovering DS9 for the first time..1 season at a time when the DVD sets come out..Amazing that I've never paid that much attention to DS9..It's like a brand new Star Trek series to me..Very cool.

That's the way to watch them. Take them one season set at a time. Watch them in their original order. It's an awesome series!

welcome to the wonderful world of DS9, its the best of them all. i just wish i could watch them all agian, but in time. B)

welcome to the wonderful world of DS9, its the best of them all. i just wish i could watch them all agian, but in time. B)

Me too, we don't get any ds9 reruns around here (ks) but I'm hoping that they'll show them on tnn or spike or whatever their calling themselves. I think I've pretty much OD on TOS, Voy and TNG.

Welcome to the siblinghood of DS9! (That solves all brother sister issues...lol). I just received my Season 3 DVD's today. Just watched the first two discs in order, and there's so much I've forgotten! I only taped sporadically then, and have regretted it ever since.

DS9 is extremely character driven, and that's a big reason I love it. So much more can be done when you really are involved with the people, and not just the events.

Well, Bysty, glad to see you're converted. Long live DS9!!

Star Trek Deep Space Nine is a great show. I haven't seen it in awhile but is a great show. I'll be happy when they air the reruns soon. B)

It is one of the beat star trek shows ever made. B)

Stardate:213567.4

I was the same way.I watched DS9 all through every episdoe the first time it aired and I thought it was a mediocre series at best.But as of late i have been watching the reruns and have begun to appreciate just how good of a series DS9 really is.

Stardate:213567.4

I was the same way.I watched DS9 all through every episdoe the first time it aired and I thought it was a mediocre series at best.

Now That Just Seems Odd B)

To Me Atleast B)

One question: since Jadzia died while her and Worf were married, does that mean Ezri and Worf are still married.

I saw an episode tonight where Worf gets trapped in an escape pod in the Badlands, and Ezri takes a runabout to save him, yet they were akward at first. Then they fought and then made out. lol. i know that Jadzia's death troubles Worf, but are Ezri and Worf still legally married, or do the commitments break once the previous host dies?

Worf married Jadzia Dax, not Jadzia and not Dax. The "joining" of Jadzia and Dax creates a new personallity, more of a blending of personallities.

With this said, Worf has feelings for Dax in who is now in the host, Ezri. However, he later realises that Ezri Dax isn't the woman he married and learns to respect her as a result.

Very glad to see you among the ranks of niners, bysty. I myself am still seeing many of the episodes for the first time myself so I know how you feel, but I love the show.

The biggest problem Worf had with Ezri was the fact that if Dax is still alive and and Jadzia is part of Dax how can Jadzia be in Stovokor? That was the most troubling aspect to him about Ezri. As for Worf being married to Ezri, as Sam said above all relationships are severed upon the death of the host. In fact if Ezri were to marry worf she could face becoming an outcast and Dax wouldn't get a new host when the time came. Dax would be allowed to die along with Ezri.

To learn more about all that watch "Rejoined" from Season 4 (Episode 6).

For me, DS9 is the best Star Trek series...

Especially because of character developpement...

And, I never get tired of rewatching it

My Comments on DS9

I think that DS9 is overrated by the fans, but underrated by the general audience.

One thing I like about DS9 is that it really looks at the Roddenberry universe and shows that it is not perfect and that it is somewhat naïve. That’s one thing that I like about DS9. {For an example of something naïve in Roddenberry’s universe look at the Barter system. It is a naiveté thing to believe that it would turn everything good or take greed away...}

I also think that DS9 (just like VOY) turned bad near the end. One thing I never liked was that the show never really resolved or conclude certain accepts that were presented in the first season of the show. The first season talks about the Bajorans entering the Federation and them really unifying, but these issues that seemed paramount during the first/second season took a back seat and were never really resolved. This is one thing that I don’t like and I wish they actually dealt with. (I know some people talk about how this issue could be resolved in a movie, but that’s not the key point.)

One of the things that Ira (one of the executive producer of DS9) said is that DS9 is the “most human,” but that I would have disagree with. TNG & VOY is more human and looks into “the human equation” more then DS9 really did (IMO). Here is something that I said in the chat room during the fourth session of Star Trek Trivia:

The Raven - Janeway talks about how imagination frees the mind and how the human mind really could not exist without it. She continued to talk about how imagination inspires ideas and solutions. I think Janeway and this episode conveyed that idea well. . . . Great Episode!

-It is episodes like this that truly look at the human equation.

Yes, DS9 has more character moments to a degree, but I don’t think it is “the most human.” I say this becasue it does does capitalize on the human equation as much as VOY or TNG.

DS9 is darker and that’s one thing that the show always tried to capitalize on. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with that and like it (for the most part), but the issues that (still) lingers in my heard are the resolutions of some of the things the show set during the first few seasons that were given a back story (if that.) And this goes back to the thing I talked about before.

I think the war was ok and I’m perfectly fine that they had one on the show (and I think it was a good idea), but near the end it just seemed stale. We have Ezri come on the show and I don’t think that was a good move . . . and just overal it felt stale.

Another of the issues that I always think of and others have made me really look at is the character of Sisko. DS9 is a darker show and it seems like Sisko’s character might be trying to comply or correlate with that. That’s fine and I don’t like taking an overboard look into that as some people have that I have talked to. However, I do think that it is true that Sisko is not always “the good guy.” I’ll probably in the future post a topic on Sisko vs. Eddington. (And of course I can quote some people to give a interesting view on the man).

But in general I think DS9 is ok and I do think it is worth to watch. Welcome to DS9

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

The question of Bajors enterance into the Federation was actually addressed in season 5 episode Rapture. Sisko advises the Bajorans not to join the Federation at this time.

I just love everything about DS9, I have watched the entire series I don't know how many times and I still watch at least one episode every single night. I never get tired of them.

DS9... :hug:

It simply beats all competitors hands down, in and out of Star Trek. I loved the enhanced character devlepment and the fact that an episode in series one, for example, could be picked up again and explored further in series 5 and 6. The story arcs in DS9 have also so far beaten all other Trek storylines.

:hug::wow::hug:

I have just ordred season 3 of DS9 as well so I'm in a party mood... Woo-Hoo!

To add:

I forget to add one important thing to my post

One thing I really like about a series like TNG is the science fiction twist it has and that’s one thing that DS9 does not have and that has always been a factor of how I rate each of the series and how much I like them.

---

For the possible Bajor entrance into the Federation I know that it was addressed a little bit, but I don’t think an episode like “Rapture” really gave closure to it. That episode really just pushed it aside. So it never really addressed it directly or put this whole thing to a conclusion. That’s the point. One of the faults of the show were the last seasons and like I said before in my view they went bad. DS9 was first about a station that was near Bajor and then it was turned into the show about a war. This shift for the show left out issues like the entrance into the Federation. The show should have been more balanced.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Enterance into the Federation would be a 1 or 2 episode storyline though, once Bajor is admitted where do you go with that story? The reason for DS9's existance was to help the Bajorans ready themselves for enterance. That arc wasn't visited much but there wasn't very much they could do with regard to that story line.

On the other hand the main thrust of the series from day one once the Wormhole was discovered was the protection of the wormhole. That was a main goal of the Dominion war as well, protect the Alpha Quadrant and the Wormhole as well as Bajor.

I think "Rapture" pretty much covered the show as far as the issue of enterance to the Federation goes, the Bajorans were advised not to join and they decided not to at the present time. That leaves the issue open to be revisited in a movie should they so decide.

In my opinion, the final 4 seasons of DS9 were the best 4 seasons of the entire franchise, the final 7 or 8 episode arc of season seven was just awesome. Though I didn't like Winn's role in it and felt that it could have been scaled back but over all those final 7 or 8 weeks were great.

The direction DS9 took, IMO was the correct one. Sure they could have hit upon some other storylines and didn't but every series could have done stories that they didn't.

DS9 didn't have the ratings that TNG did but it has been my experience that when a TNGer watches DS9, and I mean watches it for an extended time. Not just 1 or 2 episodes they begin to be converted into Niners. Don't get me wrong, I loved TNG. But in terms of Star Trek I just feel that DS9 had the stronger message, more meat on it's bones. I believe that someone would be hard pressed to pick one episode of TNG and put it up against "In The Pale Moonlight" in terms of sheer "power". "ITPML", imo was simply the best episode of any of the episodes of Star Trek I have ever seen.

Regardless of all that though, I love all 5 series (6 if you count TAS).

DS9 didn't have the ratings that TNG did but it has been my experience that when a TNGer watches DS9, and I mean watches it for an extended time. Not just 1 or 2 episodes they begin to be converted into Niners.

thats whats happening to me. im seeing my self starting to care less about data and picard and the bunch, and more about the ds9 crew, particularly sisko, quark, bashir, jadzia, and ezri.

It wasn't until Worf joined the cast of DS9 that I started to watch on a regular basis. I then decided that it rocked, just like the other Trek shows. I don't have a favorite Trek, I like each show equally as they all have something different and unique to offer. :laugh: