Sign in to follow this  
Sothis

Birth of the Fedaration

BOTF was an ok game, but a few things bothered me about it.

For a start, it seemed that for the slightest of excuses, your rivals would turn beligerant, yet would rarely go as far as to declare war. Second, the fleet sizes are pitiful. The shows give hints at fleets numbering in the thousands, yet you're lucky to have 50+ in BOTF. Thirdly, it takes forever to get anywhere, in terms of research, colonial development, and diplomatic efforts with smaller races.

If you could redesign BOTF, how would you do it?

This is one of the few games ST games I have played and own.

I agree it is just “ok.”

It has both positives and negatives to it. One of the things that I don’t like about it or I wish was changed is the fact that the major players (the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, . . .) don’t really behave like they do in the ST universe. The Ferengi for example a lot of times I have played seemed like the most aggressive and went to war and took over the galaxy in a blink of an eye, but this does not seem to hold true to the character of the Ferengi. Truthfully, I would have liked the game a bit more complex - if you know what I mean. If you play it there is only so much that you can do in the game and after awhile it seems like the same old stuff over and over again. It would be more fun if they threw in more twists into the game like a wormhole that went to another galaxy and then we could throw in the Dominion and so forth.

Thinking about it I think they could have done a lot to that game to make it better, but it does have its high points.

Maybe, in a few minutes I’ll play that game . . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

i think that even though it is old, has rather bad grapics and isent even animated for most of the game, the strategy and thinking that it takes make it the best trek game ever created. i wanted to know who has played it before, and what you think of it.

I think i would make it more 3d so u can actually see the ships rather than just a symbol at the top telling u who it belongs to. Make more playable races. and make them act more like they would on the tv shows. :unsure:

I think i would make it more 3d so u can actually see the ships rather than just a symbol at the top telling u who it belongs to.  Make more playable races. and make them act more like they would on the tv shows.  :unsure:

and that also goes to the point that this game is too two dimensional when space is three dimensional (But maybe that would make the game too complex)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I recon they should bring out a Birth of the federation 2 out with a lot more ships and stations. Also i think it would be good if the furture technologies would acctually do something.

:laugh:

I was just wondering if you now if this game can be moded if so how?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Just relised this is my 100've post.

:assimilated:

Edited by Tal Shiar 8472