Sign in to follow this  
Tank

Shatner Recieves Life Time Achievement Award..

At Creation Entertainments 11th Grand Slam Sci-Fi Summit yesterday (3/39/03) Leonard Nimoy presented his long time friend William Shatner with Creation's Life Time Achievement Award. Shatner had the crowd rolling with a hilarious acceptance speech in which he claimed he could not accept the award unless he had truly achieved something worth and award or he had died, neither of which he felt he had done. He went on to add however that if he had a beautiful wife, wonderful children, and had earned the friendship of wonderful people such as Nimoy and the rest of the original series cast than he could accept the award.

Both Shatner and Nimoy were a completely delight and they kept the crowd laughing for almost a full hour (I think, I actually lost track of time).

Also making appearances at the convention today were:

Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, James Doohan, Alan Ruck, and Armin Shimerman.

And from Star Wars:

Carrie Fisher, David Prose (Darth Vader), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), and Kenny Baker (R2D2)

I should have some pictures that I can post in a day or two...

Speaking about William Shatner in general I believe people slightly go over board when they say (including here) “he’s bitter”. In an overall perspective and generally looking he’s not really. Sometimes I think he even jokes around those lines. Recent interviews like in STII might make him appear “bitter”, but in an overall perspective he is not really and mainly he is just joking around a bit. I would say that maybe he does have some uneasiness in certain areas and subjects, but I would not consider this ‘uneasiness’ bitterness. If you are bitter, then you have very strong and resentful comments and he does not fit that bill.

And something like this I think helps show a bit and with the addition to his humor that he is a good person.

One time I was saying that what Shatner said about ST was right on the money. I said that because we do need new writers for ENT. For ST 10 I would say ST10 had a good concept, but was executed very badly and that’s why (to me at least) it did poorly at the box office and plainly was not that great.

But to get back on the real issue at hand here I’m happy for him and I think he deserves it. He really is a good person. Things like him helping out in charity (like he has done several times in the past and still does) shows that he is a good person at heart.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I agree with everything you said except for

ST10 had a good concept, but was executed very badly

I loved the way Nemesis turned out! But yo make very good points and I do wish that people would cut Shatner some slack. I think that most of the original cast, not just Shatner, are not completly happy with the way Star Trek has gone. Nimoy, Shatner, and Nickols all managed to very nicely dance around the question of what that thought of the newer shows when it came up.

user posted image

Here's a Picture of Shatner and Nimoy at the Convention last Saturday(3/29/03).

Sign in to follow this