Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Kiss Me...I'm Irish!

Being Irish  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have Any Irish Blood In You?

• Yes
    • No

My beard is Irish. :laugh:

Seriously, all my hair is blond... except my beard. It's red. I figure the my german part and my Irish part are fighting for supremacy. :look:

I had my Corn Beef and Cabbage- And now i need to go home and watch"The Quiet Man"

Thats as Irish as i am going to get

I had my Corn Beef and Cabbage- And now i need to go home and watch"The Quiet Man"

mmmmm....corned beef and cabbage

I've had mine in the crock pot for about 3 hours now; the whole house smells delicious.

I've had mine in the crock pot for about 3 hours now; the whole house smells delicious.

I'm doing the samething and I can't wait to dig in! :look:

...That bad huh?

mmm Soda bread

I just had corned beef and cabbage too with a bit of carrots. Delicious! Now we're watching the all-Irish selling spree on QVC. It's full of quality goods and classic Irish accents. :yahoo:

For St. Patrick's Day this year, I tried Irish whiskey....God it was awful :yahoo:. So I have basically a full bottle of whiskey free to anyone who wants it :P

...That bad huh?

mmm Soda bread

There is nothing bad about corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, corn bread, and green beer.

Edited by Charface

...That bad huh?

mmm Soda bread

There is nothing bad about corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, corn bread, and green beer.

....I can't drink the green beer!

:yahoo:

From History Channel a brief history of St. Patricks's Day.

The History of the Holiday

The First Parade

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17, his religious feast day and the anniversary of his death in the fifth century. The Irish have observed this day as a religious holiday for thousands of years.

On St. Patrick's Day, which falls during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families would traditionally attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon. Lenten prohibitions against the consumption of meat were waived and people would dance, drink, and feast—on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage.

The first St. Patrick's Day parade took place not in Ireland, but in the United States. Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched through New York City on March 17, 1762. Along with their music, the parade helped the soldiers to reconnect with their Irish roots, as well as fellow Irishmen serving in the English army.

Over the next thirty-five years, Irish patriotism among American immigrants flourished, prompting the rise of so-called "Irish Aid" societies, like the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick and the Hibernian Society. Each group would hold annual parades featuring bagpipes (which actually first became popular in the Scottish and British armies) and drums.

No Irish Need Apply

Up until the mid-nineteenth century, most Irish immigrants in America were members of the Protestant middle class. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to a million poor, uneducated, Catholic Irish began to pour into America to escape starvation. Despised for their religious beliefs and funny accents by the American Protestant majority, the immigrants had trouble finding even menial jobs. When Irish Americans in the country 's cities took to the streets on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate their heritage, newspapers portrayed them in cartoons as drunk, violent monkeys.

However, the Irish soon began to realize that their great numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the "green machine," became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates. In 1948, President Truman attended New York City 's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in America.

Wearing of the Green Goes Global

Today, St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by people of all backgrounds in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Although North America is home to the largest productions, St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated in other locations far from Ireland, including Japan, Singapore, and Russia.

In modern-day Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has traditionally been a religious occasion. In fact, up until the 1970s, Irish laws mandated that pubs be closed on March 17. Beginning in 1995, however, the Irish government began a national campaign to use St. Patrick's Day as an opportunity to drive tourism and showcase Ireland to the rest of the world. Last year, close to one million people took part in Ireland 's St. Patrick's Festival in Dublin, a multi-day celebration featuring parades, concerts, outdoor theater productions, and fireworks shows.

Why? Because of the green or the beer?

*Laughs* I think it's the beer

Why? Because of the green or the beer?

*Laughs* I think it's the beer

Well i am of legal age to drink. Its that i have a bad stomach ulcer and am not allowed

8th Irish on my dads side, 32nd on my mums :P

I got wasted on paddys day anyway :yahoo:

Yup

-staying away from the beer- Check

-Listening to U2- Check

- Watching The Quiet man- Check (twice)

- Passing gas because of the cabbage- ....no comment

This thread just reminded me I'm two days away from my 1 year anniversary of joining these forums.

Yay! St. Patty's Day is coming!

No irish.

Scottish, French, English, Native American.

But you can Kiss me anyway :P