Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Kiss Me...I'm Irish!

Being Irish  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have Any Irish Blood In You?

• Yes
    • No

Since St. Patty's Day is close, I just thought I'd start this poll. Are you Irish or have Irish ancestors? I'm about 75% Irish

Edited by Gamera

I have no idea really, but I have friends at school that sing Irish drinking songs all day long.

I wonder if my red hair gives it away. :look:

Well, I have some Irish blood from my maternal grandfather, but for the most part I am predominately Welsh/English/Scottish. Though with the hair, pale skin, and freckles, I often get "accused" of having Irish ancestors.

No, not at all Irish. Thank God.

(No offense to Irish people... it is almost midnight and I am typing a paper... on Ireland... for history... and if I never see another shamrock again it will be too soon).

1/4 irish

1/4 German

1/4 Welsh

1/4 Scott

My grandfather is Irish and with my last name its hard not to be recognised as an Irishmans child

I have Irish on both sides of my family :)

Mom's side I am: Norwegian, German, Danish, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Polish & Cree Indian

Dad's side I am: Norwegian, German & Irish. (Mainly Norwegian on his side. My dad was the first to be born in America, grandpa was born in Norway)

I did not know that my dad was any part Irish until I found a picture of my great aunt standing next to a grave stone, I recognized the name on the stone because it was her's and my grandmother's maiden names. Then I flipped over the picture and said where the photo was taken... the County Cork.

Mom's side is predominantly German, Danish, Norwegian and Scottish... but I still have a pretty good precentage of the other nationalities in me.

And on top of it all :eek::look::laugh: I am a competitive Irish dancer :look: (yep, like you see in Riverdance & Lord of the Dance... though I am not at that level of skill, I hope to be one day though!! I have only been taking classes for two years this coming August, and have been competitive for a little over a year.)

Absolutely!

My mother's father is Irish. My grandpa Harry. His grandparents immigrated to America around the time of the Civil War and settled down south. H's still alive (about 75 years old now, I think), but I haven't seen him in ages. He's living in a retirement community in Oklahoma now.

:look:

Yes. I wear a St Patty's Day button that says, "I'm part Irish. Kiss my Irish parts"

I've seen that...I think the last time I saw it though was on one of my shipmates on the Enterprise...That button brings back some interesting memories...

Not a drop of Irish Blood to be found on me anywhere.

LOL! IN you, not ON you.

I have jes' a wee bit o' Irish in me. Actually, my mom is half Irish, so alot more than a wee bit.

For those who are German, can you speak German? It just that I like typing/talking German

Ich spreche Deutch also, aber ich bin Englisch. Ich bit nicht gut. :look:

I speak German also, but I am English. I am not good.

Edited by xXTrekkieCaraXx

Not a drop of Irish Blood to be found on me anywhere.

LOL! IN you, not ON you.

Erm yeah thats what i meant *Shifty eyes*

Edited by Tal

For those who are German, can you speak German? It just that I like typing/talking German

Meine Vater ist alles Duetsch. I think that's as close as proper as you're gonna get from me. Most of the German I know is bad words that Gary taught me...

Ich spreche Deutch also, aber ich bin Englisch. Ich bit nicht gut.

Bissen sie eine bose madchen?.... :look:

I used to speak German better when I was still taking classes (but that was between 9 and 12 years ago - 9th through 11th grade years). I can read it still pretty good, though I will check translation just to be sure (using either my German-English dictionary or an online translation site). Just up and speaking German off the top of my head.... I cannot do that nearly as well as when I was younger.

My mom will sometimes still ask me to translate what appears on some movies, we have a laugh about it on the grounds she too can translate a bit of it too..even though she did not take classes(as far as I remember her saying). My dad can speak it and Norwegian better than me, but he tends to use those a lot for music jobs... so he remains in practice.

I do like to sing in German, as well as a bunch of other languages even ones that are not in my ancestry (including: Spanish, French, Italian/Latin, Japanese & Swedish) I just look up the lyrics of songs I like and then just learn them, using the song to try and get the pronunciation right. I check out the translation of the songs whenever possible just to see what the words are in English, mainly just for fun... I still sing it in the language it is supposed to be in, rather than singing the translated words :look:

When it comes to singing.. I am practicing singing in Gaelic, because that actually is one of the competitions available at the dance competitions I go to. I am not that good a singer, but I love to sing and I think it would kind of be fun to try it once :laugh:

Edited by Yillara_Skye