Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Watching DS9 all the way through, take 2

Hey guys, I'm/we're back.

Jen and I have watched a few of my favorite TNG episodes, but we skipped through most of it. She's seen the whole first season, the first third of the second season, "Remember Me", "Cause and Effect", "The Best of Both Worlds" (both parts), and "All Good Things" (both parts). I'd like to show her the one with the Enterprise and the Warbird frozen in mid-battle, and "Genesis"... the Data/Lore eps are cool, too, especially the one where Dr. Crusher takes over the Enterprise. And I've watched all the movies with her, except the first one, which I didn't like at all.

So now we're on to Deep Space Nine. I don't plan to skip any of it, even if it takes a few years to watch it all. We only watch one or two eps a night, and we don't even watch it all night. So no 8-episode streaks like I was pulling, watching it on my own.

We just watched 1x07 "Q-Less" last night. So far Jen's liking it, though I don't get the impression she really likes any of the characters as much as she did Data and Worf.

Figure I ought to update my sig now...

/edit: Wow, it said "girlfriend" in my sig... Have I been gone that long? I proposed to Jen last year, the day after Christmas. We'll be getting married on the 7th of July this year. Matter of fact, she just picked out her wedding dress. We're not going to have a big ceremony, but we will have something, and we'll have a fairly decent reception afterwards. Pretty modest though. If anyone on the East Coast thinks they may be able to attend, drop me a PM.

Edited by Dark Reality

Wow, congratulations! You should have a Klingon style wedding :angry:

Hey guys, I'm/we're back.

Jen and I have watched a few of my favorite TNG episodes, but we skipped through most of it. She's seen the whole first season, the first third of the second season, "Remember Me", "Cause and Effect", "The Best of Both Worlds" (both parts), and "All Good Things" (both parts). I'd like to show her the one with the Enterprise and the Warbird frozen in mid-battle, and "Genesis"... the Data/Lore eps are cool, too, especially the one where Dr. Crusher takes over the Enterprise. And I've watched all the movies with her, except the first one, which I didn't like at all.

If you could sit through season 1 of TNG then TMP should be a breeze :angry:

We only watch one or two eps a night, and we don't even watch it all night. So no 8-episode streaks like I was pulling, watching it on my own.

Give her time, maybe you'll get her up to 4 Episodes per night.

We just watched 1x07 "Q-Less" last night. So far Jen's liking it, though I don't get the impression she really likes any of the characters as much as she did Data and Worf.

Again, give her time. DS9 is so "character rich" but you don't really start to see that until around season 3. Has she started out disliking Bashir? If so I'm almost willing to bet she'll really like him by season 7.

Figure I ought to update my sig now...

/edit: Wow, it said "girlfriend" in my sig... Have I been gone that long? I proposed to Jen last year, the day after Christmas. We'll be getting married on the 7th of July this year. Matter of fact, she just picked out her wedding dress. We're not going to have a big ceremony, but we will have something, and we'll have a fairly decent reception afterwards. Pretty modest though. If anyone on the East Coast thinks they may be able to attend, drop me a PM.

Congratulations!

To be fair, she wasn't a Trekkie when I met her. I'm converting her. Though resistance is futile, she isn't trying. If they ever do a con around here (fat chance) maybe I'll drag her to it... but she's more apt to go to Ozzfest or something like that. (Not that I'd mind going to an Ozzfest, but I think I'd have more fun at a Star Trek convention.)

Oh, when I said we don't even watch it all night, what I meant to say was we don't watch it every night. I work four nights a week, 10pm to 6am, and she works a different five nights a week, 3:30pm to Midnight. We get three nights that we can watch movies or Star Trek, and if we have movies to watch, those usually come first.

Not sure what she thinks of Bashir, or any of them much. I think she's liking Odo and Quark. She pretends to not like Dax, but only because she knows I think she's cute. It's a little game we play. "Her men" include Spiderman and director/comedian Kevin Smith, and I likewise pretend to be jealous of them.

I know she has an account here, she even has this board bookmarked... I'll have to try to get her to come up in here and post every now and then, get her perspective directly.

Oh yeah, we were both wondering. In "Dax", who sent the transmission? The general himself? Or the wife? They never make it very clear. Would have been a little better had we found out that that SOB who put Dax on trial was really Curzon's son. They hint at it, and the numbers add up, but the connection is not established.

And Jen had a question about the Prime Directive and something involving Bajor, but I can't remember what it is. Any Federation involvement on Bajor wouldn't violate the PD since the two are allies - I should know that. But I think it was something else. I'll have to ask her again, I'm sure one of you know. She asked me straight away as it happened, and I didn't have an answer.

Edited by Dark Reality

It's been a while since I've seen "Dax" but if I recall correctly it was the General that sent the transmission, they suspected Dax of doing it but of course there was an alabi.

There are times where the PD is observed when Bajor is concerned but remember, Bajor is a Warp capable society so the PD rules there aren't what they would be for a pre-warp society where first contact hasn't been established yet.

One instance that I can recall Sisko pulling out the prime directive was in season 3's "Shakaar" when Kai Winn asks for Federation help to quell an uprising on the planet.

Another episode I thought I remembered but didn't quite. I thought in "Battle Lines" they actually, somehow, reversed the process to allow people to die - but rather, as I just watched it, left it as it was. (Just watched that and the one before it last night. :yahoo: )

Another episode I thought I remembered but didn't quite. I thought in "Battle Lines" they actually, somehow, reversed the process to allow people to die - but rather, as I just watched it, left it as it was. (Just watched that and the one before it last night. :yahoo: )

Yeah, I had always hoped that they'd work Opaca back into the series somehow but if I recall she only came back once or twice playing a wormhole alien.

Well there was also the stipulation that those who had been resurrected could not leave. Though I guess stopping the resurrection wouldn't have been as easy as allowing them to leave.

I convinced Jen to watch four DS9 episodes last night! :lol: I told her that "If Wishes Were Horses" was OK at best and "The Forsaken" wasn't that great, but "Dramatis Personae" was a lot of fun and "Duet" was the first great DS9 landmark - but that we were watching the whole thing. She watched the first two, then wanted to play some Diablo II (awesome PC game). She played for a while then went to the bathroom, so I played for about an hour till she was done. Then we watched the other two.

I tried to push for a fifth one to close out season 1, but it didn't happen. I'm downloading last Monday's WWE RAW, and she really wants to see that (it should be done by the time she gets home). So if I play my cards right, we'll watch last night's RAW and 1x20, start Season 2 tomorrow night, unless I get the videocapture card I ordered tomorrow (Newegg.com is known for shipping a day early, though it isn't guaranteed) in which case I'll spend the time she's at work editing the ads out of tonight's RAW so we can watch that. She loves wrestling, and with the return of Mick Foley (as Cactus Jack) she'll put WWE ahead of DS9, which is OK with me. Maybe we can watch SmackDown together because I have to work when it's on, and she can watch RAW on her own time when I'm at work, because I see it when it comes on, while it's being taped. So I don't really think WWE will get in the way. And at the current rate, we're getting through a season a month. If we keep that up we could be done with DS9 by year's end, though I think our marriage, honeymoon, and a couple trips we have planned might get in the way. But hey, if we can watch all seven seasons inside a year (to be done by March 2007) that's pretty good for two full-time working people with different schedules. And we'll have another Niner for sure, because there are plenty more Duet-level episodes ahead (some of which I absolutely can't wait for, like Pale Moonlight).

@VBG - I did ask Jen what she thought of Bashir yesterday, over a game of pool. She thinks he's cute, but not really annoying. And she seems to be taking to Odo, which is cool, because he's got a great character arc, especially in the last two seasons when his loyalty is really tested.

I can really see how I started out disliking Sisko (I was so used to the mostly by-the-book Picard and Janeway) but now on the second time through, I like him a lot more. The Ferengi are no more appealing (possibly less so) to me the second time around.

Yeah, they can't leave the planet but I was hoping that they'd fine a way to allow it so that we'd have someone to come in and get rid of Winn lol.

Anyway, 1x20 was by far my least favorite episode. I usually skip it when I'm watching season 1.

I really like the Ferengi, Quark gets some good episodes in season 1 and of course it's the Ferengi that introduce us to the Dominion.

As for Sisko, he was sort of the "anti-Captain" at points wasn't he? He's my favorite of the franchise.

Well, it's been almost a month, and now we're coming up on the end of Season 2. Looks like we do about a season a month, and it's looking like we'll get through the whole thing. The Dominion have been mentioned 2-3 times, we've seen the Maquis, and we've seen the Alternate Universe. We haven't seen the Jem'hadar, the female shapeshifter, Martok, or Vic yet, of course - those elements come later. And we're coming up on some good episodes. I'm looking forward to Worf and the Defiant. The show really picked up (though it was great to start with) when Worf joined. Just seeing Worf on screen makes me smile. Michael Dorn must be the Trek actor with the most episodes under his belt, period. Everyone else has at most one whole series and cameos in a couple of the others. Dorn was in seven seasons of TNG, four of DS9, and four movies. Worf practically IS modern Trek.

I just realized that we are only a few episodes away from the introduction of the Defiant. The very start of 3x01 "The Search, Part 1" is one of my favourite scenes, when the Defiant sneaks into DS9's perimeter. I'd forgotten that The Jem'Hadar and The Search (parts 1 and 2) actually make up a 3-part episode formally introducing the Dominion and answering Odo's big question all at once. Jen's gotta get up early tomorrow morning - I think we'll just watch the next two episodes ("The Collaborator" and "Tribunal") tonight, and save the 3-part for tomorrow night - maybe watch "The House of Quark" as well.

Edited by Dark Reality

Michael Dorn must be the Trek actor with the most episodes under his belt, period. Everyone else has at most one whole series and cameos in a couple of the others. Dorn was in seven seasons of TNG, four of DS9, and four movies. Worf practically IS modern Trek.

Actually Micheal Dorn was in five Trek movies, he defended Kirk and Bones in The Undiscovered Country.

Anyway you're right Micheal Dorn and Worf rock, happy viewing.

Edited by mowzer

You're right, I completely forgot about that. Actually I guess I meant to say Worf, not Michael Dorn. The Klingon in TUC was supposed to be Worf's uncle or something, but this was never established AFAIK. And he was named Worf as well IIRC.

Anyway, we made it to Season 3, and we've watched the true start of DS9 - 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar" and 3x01-02 "The Search". Oh, the first two seasons were important, but what they ultimately did with DS9 - as far as the Dominion War, anyway, started here. (Actually, I think the main arc is really Sisko's journey of faith with the Prophets, as that really encompassed all seven seasons.) But now we're into space battles, Dominion, and the Defiant, which is where the show really picked up. It only gets better with Worf joining, as well as the cosmetic changes - Sisko's new hairstyle and the new uniforms. And the whole Eddington subplot, and the woman Sisko meets - can't remember her name right now. And Martok. So there's good stuff coming as well.

As for Jen... I really had to sit quietly when she whined about Garak getting killed, and the Wormhole being destroyed, trapping Kira and Odo on the other side... until Kira and Odo got that door open, anyway. So she likes Garak (he's hard not to like) and she REALLY likes Bashir - though, I think more for his accent and looks than anything else. Women! (That, or she's just saying that to get me back for all the whistling I do when Dax comes on camera...) And she was really happy to see Odo find his home.

You're right, I completely forgot about that. Actually I guess I meant to say Worf, not Michael Dorn. The Klingon in TUC was supposed to be Worf's uncle or something, but this was never established AFAIK. And he was named Worf as well IIRC.

Anyway, we made it to Season 3, and we've watched the true start of DS9 - 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar" and 3x01-02 "The Search". Oh, the first two seasons were important, but what they ultimately did with DS9 - as far as the Dominion War, anyway, started here. (Actually, I think the main arc is really Sisko's journey of faith with the Prophets, as that really encompassed all seven seasons.) But now we're into space battles, Dominion, and the Defiant, which is where the show really picked up. It only gets better with Worf joining, as well as the cosmetic changes - Sisko's new hairstyle and the new uniforms. And the whole Eddington subplot, and the woman Sisko meets - can't remember her name right now. And Martok. So there's good stuff coming as well.

As for Jen... I really had to sit quietly when she whined about Garak getting killed, and the Wormhole being destroyed, trapping Kira and Odo on the other side... until Kira and Odo got that door open, anyway. So she likes Garak (he's hard not to like) and she REALLY likes Bashir - though, I think more for his accent and looks than anything else. Women! (That, or she's just saying that to get me back for all the whistling I do when Dax comes on camera...) And she was really happy to see Odo find his home.

Yeah, Seasons 1 and 2 are baiscally just an "introduction" to the characters and sets up their back stories. It also gets us aquainted with the station and the surronding alien cultures. Those seasons were no less important to DS9 as a whole but if you HAVE to miss any episodes it would be best to miss episodes from seasons 1 or 2. The show really gets better with each episode and each season.

I really enjoyed Garak and there's times when he's my favorite, then I think it's Quark. Then Bashir, then Miles... I finally came to the conclusion that I don't have a favorite. My favoirte is the entire cast.

Sorry, I've been away. Just in general, forums haven't been holding my interest. But we've just passed the halfway mark, and both of us want to see this through to the end. I think I can have us to season 6 by the wedding, at least at the pace we've been going. We flew through Season 3 and the first third of Season 4 and we haven't skipped any episodes.

Sorry, I've been away. Just in general, forums haven't been holding my interest. But we've just passed the halfway mark, and both of us want to see this through to the end. I think I can have us to season 6 by the wedding, at least at the pace we've been going. We flew through Season 3 and the first third of Season 4 and we haven't skipped any episodes.

So, is she a Niner yet or just a casual viewer?

Hard to say, really. I wish I were a Betazoid. I know she likes watching it with me, that peripheral interest that comes from knowing I like it so much. Like how I got into WWE for her. But also like how I took my own interest and formed my own opinions about WWE, I think she's getting into DS9. I wouldn't say she's a Niner, though. I know I wasn't until after Season 5 or 6, when the Dominion War was really on in full. But then, I was a Voyager fan. All she really has is a few scattered episodes of TNG and the movies.

What's a Niner, really? Just someone who likes DS9? Someone who prefers DS9 to the other Trek series? Or someone who prefers DS9 to all other TV shows. I fall under all three, the last one just barely. She falls under the first one, possibly the second one, though that can't be determined until we get through Voyager and she has something to compare and contrast to. Me, I think DS9 is the best Trek has done and is one of the best TV shows, ever. I identify more with the Voyager crew, but the DS9 episodes individually and the series as a whole is simply amazing. The Dominion War, the alternate universe, Sisko's path with the Prophets, Jake finding his place in the world, Kira coming to terms with the Cardassians (to an extent), Quark and Odo, the whole political drama on Bajor, and so much more. I could not ask for a better television series. I'm pretty passionate about DS9 - though probably not as much as you (VBG). I can't say Jen's at that stage or ever will be, but she seems to enjoy it.

We average three episodes a night on the three nights a week I'm off. The next three are all top episodes, too! Shattered Mirror, The Muse, and For The Cause. The scattered trilogy For The Cause starts is one of the better arcs in the series. But we've gotten to the good part - once Worf joins the cast, it gets moving a lot faster. And I liked when the Klingons got back on Starfleet's side - the Klingon episodes at least vastly improved.

She got the same major spoiler I got and shouldn't have. A week or so ago she asked me who Ezri Dax was. I couldn't help it, I had to leak that something happens to Jadzia where the Dax symbiont has to be given to a new host. I told her that Terry Farrel wanted out (which is what I heard) and they wrote her out of the show, that it was done well, and that I wouldn't say when it was, but I think my previous statement (to her) that Season 7 isn't quite as good as the previous two may have been a hint. I don't think a DS9 viewer should learn that Jadzia leaves the show early, well, until it happens. But there are a few good surprises ahead. For The Uniform, In The Pale Moonlight, Far Beyond The Stars, and Take Me Out To The Holosuite, to name a few.

Hard to say, really. I wish I were a Betazoid. I know she likes watching it with me, that peripheral interest that comes from knowing I like it so much. Like how I got into WWE for her. But also like how I took my own interest and formed my own opinions about WWE, I think she's getting into DS9. I wouldn't say she's a Niner, though. I know I wasn't until after Season 5 or 6, when the Dominion War was really on in full. But then, I was a Voyager fan. All she really has is a few scattered episodes of TNG and the movies.

What's a Niner, really? Just someone who likes DS9? Someone who prefers DS9 to the other Trek series? Or someone who prefers DS9 to all other TV shows. I fall under all three, the last one just barely. She falls under the first one, possibly the second one, though that can't be determined until we get through Voyager and she has something to compare and contrast to. Me, I think DS9 is the best Trek has done and is one of the best TV shows, ever. I identify more with the Voyager crew, but the DS9 episodes individually and the series as a whole is simply amazing. The Dominion War, the alternate universe, Sisko's path with the Prophets, Jake finding his place in the world, Kira coming to terms with the Cardassians (to an extent), Quark and Odo, the whole political drama on Bajor, and so much more. I could not ask for a better television series. I'm pretty passionate about DS9 - though probably not as much as you (VBG). I can't say Jen's at that stage or ever will be, but she seems to enjoy it.

We average three episodes a night on the three nights a week I'm off. The next three are all top episodes, too! Shattered Mirror, The Muse, and For The Cause. The scattered trilogy For The Cause starts is one of the better arcs in the series. But we've gotten to the good part - once Worf joins the cast, it gets moving a lot faster. And I liked when the Klingons got back on Starfleet's side - the Klingon episodes at least vastly improved.

She got the same major spoiler I got and shouldn't have. A week or so ago she asked me who Ezri Dax was. I couldn't help it, I had to leak that something happens to Jadzia where the Dax symbiont has to be given to a new host. I told her that Terry Farrel wanted out (which is what I heard) and they wrote her out of the show, that it was done well, and that I wouldn't say when it was, but I think my previous statement (to her) that Season 7 isn't quite as good as the previous two may have been a hint. I don't think a DS9 viewer should learn that Jadzia leaves the show early, well, until it happens. But there are a few good surprises ahead. For The Uniform, In The Pale Moonlight, Far Beyond The Stars, and Take Me Out To The Holosuite, to name a few.

To me, in my thinking a Niner is someone that "Gets" DS9. Someone that knows that DS9 is far and away the best Trek series made to date.

People that love Trek but aren't Niners like to think of DS9 as "Dark", too dark for some people's liking. Niners don't really see it as "dark" but rather as realistic. DS9 shows that all is not well in the 24th century. Sometimes there is war and conflict, crime and punishment and even the criminals and bad guys have some likable qualities.

With Terry Farrel it wasn't so much that she "wanted out" as it was that her contract expired and she didn't want to sign a new one for 1 more season. So she didn't quit and she wasn't fired, her contract just expired. I remember thinking at the time that it was a mistake for her to leave with only 1 season left, to me it seemed kind of silly but she had her reasons I guess.

As for season 7 not being as good as the other seasons I have to disagree. Season 7 was my favorite of the whole series. We did a poll a while back that you may not have run across where we discuss this very topic. Here's a link:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=2783

Well, I think of DS9 as dark, but I like it that way. After watching a season or so of DS9, I try to watch an episode of TNG and it's harder to get into. But I do agree with your explanation as well.

It's been a while since I've updated my "last episode" counter, or we've been going through the episodes pretty fast. Last night we only watched three, but we watched six Sunday night, which is impressive considering we watched the ECW Pay-per-view Sunday night with friends, then stayed an hour or two afterwards - and THEN came home and watched six episodes of DS9. I was hoping we would watch six last night and then six tonight, so we'd reach "Children of Time", but that's not going to happen. At least she got to see "For the Uniform"; she was really hoping to see Eddington get his after "For the Cause". So we're looking forward to "Children of Time" and "Blaze of Glory", not to mention "In the Pale Moonlight" but we have a long way to go until we get there.

I think it's safer to say she's a Niner than not. I told her we were talking about her here, that she should come on here (I think she has an account anyway) and say for herself, but then she rolled her eyes and asked if I really had to ask - on the way back to the couch to watch another episode of DS9.

I didn't mean to be so harsh on Season 7 - a lot of good stuff there. I don't really have a favourite - I just prefer the last four seasons over the first three. It just doesn't seem right without Worf on the second viewing. And then it didn't seem right until they got the new uniforms a third of the way through Season 5. I tend to pick favourite episodes - "In the Pale Moonlight", "Children of Time", "The Visitor", and "Duet". Pretty sure none of those are from the same season as any other. Where in the first post you counted your favourites and made a decision based on that - I haven't watched DS9 quite enough to rate the episodes like that. I'm still at the "it's all good" stage. I also like to look at Sisko's arc, which goes from the first to the last episode, where he goes from being uncomfortable with the Emissary position to really following the Prophets - and I'm not even religious myself.

As for Sisko, he was sort of the "anti-Captain" at points wasn't he? He's my favorite of the franchise.

On Spike TV, I again saw the episode where Sisko ended up advising the newly admitted Bajor to NOT join the Federation.

If Sisko wasn't the ant-captain, he certainly had an an ambiguous role as a Federation officer and Bajoran religious icon.... a role that he himself was not quite clear about.

But you may be talking about the Sisko of "In the Pale Moonlight.." or the one who struck Q....

On Spike TV, I again saw the episode where Sisko ended up advising the newly admitted Bajor to NOT join the Federation.

If Sisko wasn't the ant-captain, he certainly had an an ambiguous role as a Federation officer and Bajoran religious icon.... a role that he himself was not quite clear about.

But you may be talking about the Sisko of "In the Pale Moonlight.." or the one who struck Q....

I think I was meaning Sisko's character as a whole from start to finish. Sisko, I think was more willing to do "whatever it takes" to see the proper outcome of a mission or situation. He doesn't break the prime directive but I think you see a more realistic willingness to bend the rules if he has to. The other series captains have shown that at times also but I think with Sisko it's more "real" than with Picard or Janeway.

I'll tell you one thing about Sisko ... he would never have put acting-ensign Wesley Crusher in ops on DS9. We're rewatching TNG right now and I cannot for the life of me understand why Wesley is on the bridge, basically stealing bridge time away from officers who have actually graduated from Starfleet!!!

Sisko would have sent Wesley down to engineering or even had him doing inventory with pre-cadet Nog in Cargo Bay 6 ... you gotta earn your stripes under Sisko's command no matter what the "Traveler" might tell you.

(Heading off this argument: The Prophets wouldn't have cared one way or the other about the linear corporeal happenings on a space station so that would not have been any sort of directive given to Sisko by them.)

Lol I totally agree with you. Wesley to me got on my nerves so I didn't watch TNG much. DS9 rules all the way. Sisko probably kick that nerdy wesley off of DS9. lol

A little off topic, but the Friday before last (7th of July) I married my best friend of three years - if you notice the new signature where it says "My wife and I" rather than "My fiancée and I".

We just watched 6x18 "Inquisition" - we're saving "In The Pale Moonlight" for tomorrow night. I could probably sit through it - I love that ep - but I want my wife wide awake for it. And then if tomorrow night and the following night we watch four episodes each (including "Pale Moonlight"), then we'll finish season 6. Heh heh heh... "Tears of the Prophets". Dark times lay ahead indeed...

Congratulations! I hope you are well-met in Trek and everything else in life.

Dark times, indeed. But Garak and Sisko really shine in Pale Moonlight.

We both loved Pale Moonlight - me for my fourth or fifth time, Jen for her first. And you guys should have heard her squeal at the end of "My Way". And she knew what was going to happen to Jadzia, she just didn't know when or how. Isn't it cute how in the one right before that, "The Sound of Her Voice", where O'Brien tells the main characters to look around, because one day one of their circle will be gone? That's some wicked foreshadowing there - and because Jen knew that Jadzia was going to die at some point, that just told her what was going to happen in "Tears of the Prophets".

Once we're done with DS9, we'll do the same thing with Voyager. I didn't keep a blog-type thread when I watched Voyager on my own. But I'm thinking when we watch it I ought to do one.

Oh yeah - if you go into my Myspace page (see sig), there are a few blog entries regarding the wedding. One post has a link to about 318 pictures, if you're curious. The others have some pics I've posted on ImageShack of some cool things we saw. And more blog entries to follow...

Edited by Dark Reality

We just finished Deep Space Nine last night! :laugh: It was a heck of a push - we watched two episodes when we first woke up (afternoon, mind you), then we went to dinner, and went to see Clerks II (which was great!) at the theater. When we came home... well, we planned to watch the remaining six singular episodes, and work "What You Leave Behind" into the next couple nights. I have to work odd(er) hours, so we'd only get about half an hour to 45 minutes each night. It would have been tight. What it came down to was, it was 4:00 am, and we had one singular episode left and the double finale. I told my wife we'd start watching the finale but go to bed at 6. I knew it was a lie, that the real action would be wrapping up at that point, and all that would remain were the sappy goodbyes, which I knew she'd stay up for. I was right.

When the title sequence started at the beginning of the finale, I told her "that's the last comet you're going to see, it's going to be replaced with a solar flare". That's because when we watch the episodes on the computer, the DS9 title sequence starts up, starting with that ice comet/meteor, and that's my cue to jump up, cut out of fullscreen, and advance the positition slider so far (you kind of learn just how far) to the end of the sequence. As for the solar flare, I'm of course referring to Voyager's title sequence - we're watching that next.

My wife admitted the other day that she is, by her reckoning, a "Niner", and told me a story about how a co-worker was talking about problems with her apartment, and she started telling her about the quarters on DS9. So that's cool. My wife's officially geek-ified, if she wasn't before.

As for me - now I've seen DS9 all the way through, twice. Just like my wife did her first time, my first time I really hated Kai Winn. The second time through it was kind of tempered. I knew she would get what was coming to her, she really didn't bother me all that much. The Ferengi stories still annoyed me. And I think I appreciated Ezri more the second time around. Lastly, I'm thinking next time I watch DS9 all the way through, I'll be paying more attention to Damar (Dumar?). He's almost a regular (once he's introduced) but he's largely overlooked, and it's easy to do so. He's introduced as just another Cardy, but by the time his importance is really apparent, it seems like too late.

I think I will do a Voyager blog-type post in the Voyager forum, once we watch Caretaker. Voyager doesn't have quite the complexity DS9 did, but it had perks of its own, a few points worth talking about.

I'm thinking next time I watch DS9 all the way through, I'll be paying more attention to Damar (Dumar?). He's almost a regular (once he's introduced) but he's largely overlooked, and it's easy to do so. He's introduced as just another Cardy, but by the time his importance is really apparent, it seems like too late.

Barely. But the greatest shame about Damar is that after he kills Ziyal in Sacrifice of Angels, just about everyone keeps sweeping it under the rug. I'm not sure if to blame the writers or the producers for this.

First there is Dukat, who unexpectedly pops up at dominion HQ to get hold of the Bajoran religious object imprisoning the pah wraith. The thing he is to outright forgive Damar, even before he becomes possesed by the wraith. And he even says it out loud. That is wrong. Very wrong. Nor did seem to be necessary. Dukat was there to get the item. With his knowledge of Cardassia he could have simply stolen it and made of. I would have bought it. No need to put Dukat and Damar together again. And if they still (for no obvious reason) felt they had to do that they could at least have waited until after Dukat was possessed before the forgiveness. That way I might ascribe it to influence from the pah wraith. A sign that Dukat really was possessed. Not that there was any doubt about that already given the red eyes, but still.

The second Cardassian to blatantly forget if not forgive that Damar killed Ziyal is our very own Garak. And he even claimed to love her. But not a peep about it when the two meet up. I am all for Garak beeing mysterious and secretive but this was way past believable. Garak should at least have had one tense scene with Damar before they could move on.

Then there is Kira. She fare a little better than the other two, as she actually gets some dialogue with Sisko about Damars past deeds, and she gets to express distaste for working with him, for many reasons. She also has some really strong scenes with Damar which while not concerning Ziyal directly does deal with past transgression between Cardassians and Bajornans.

But altogether Ziyal death is put waste, and it's a shame say I. IT is strange too because DS9 producers usually managed to keep some good long lasting story archs. Not sure why they dropped the ball on this one.

Possibly because in the last season they tried to cram in just a little too much, and didn't have time to resolve all existing issues. They also incidently shafted some of the new ones, like the Winn/Dukat story line which was horribly butchered towards the end. That is probably the grates shames of all in an otherwise consistently strong Star Trek series.

One more thing about Damar before I end this rant. Despite the Ziyal problem I think Damar works well as a character and is excellently acted by Casey Biggs. I really enjoyed Damar and Weyoun as Heckle and Jeckle, and their reunion after Worf killed one of the Weyouns is just great. Damars path to rebellion also work fine and is built up well, though it weakens a little after he kills Gul Rusot in a strong scene.