Sign in to follow this  
APW

The Intrepid-Type

intrepid2vy.jpg

I can't seem to find much information at all about this ship. Does anyone here know anything about it, other than that it was on an episode or two of Enterprise?

What I'd like to know is this:

(1) Is it an older class than NX-01, or newer?

(2) Is it's propulsion systems equivalent (warp 5)?

(3) It's designated NV-01. What's the NV stand for (if anything)?

I'm using it in a fan fiction story set in Enterprise's time period. If I have to, I'll just make something up. But if there are some facts out there, I'd appreciate whatever help you have.

Thanks. <_<

That looks just like a Nova class

NovaAnti.gif

Relatives, maybe?

Actually, the "Intrepid type" in Enterprise predates the Nova class by some two hundred-odd years. However, the Nova class was the original design for the Defiant class, at least according to the DS9 Tech Manual.

What always confused me was the Steamrunner clas.

I mean in an age of warp drive why would we need steam-powered ships?

You don't actually think that Steamrunners, run on steam. In the 24th Century :P

It's a name <_<

Intrepid - NV class

1) Older

2) Warp 3

3) The NV and NX apparently never standed for anything, but rather were identification numbers, or model numbers. NV is earlier in the alphabet, than X, so it's obviously an earlier model.

EDIT: I proberbly should explain more in detail what the registary letters stand for.

The best way to explain this is to give examples.

The VERY first Warp vessel was given the registary number; NA - 01

NOTE: this was not Cochranes missile ship

As Warp became more improved, the numbers changed, and went throught he alphabet. When the first Warp 5 vessel came along, it was given: NX - 01

To explain this better, it is supposed that the first warp 3 vessel might have been called: NM - 01.

The "N" is not known, but I have a theory it stands for Navigation.

the second letter, for example with NX - 01, stands for how advanced the Warp drive is. the numbers indicate what production of that letter is. for example, let's say that "X" was used to signify Warp 5 vessels, the "01" states that the NX - 01 was the FIRST warp 5 ship.

As more ships came into being, they added more numbers and letters.

For letters, let's say the Enterprise - D. it was branded NCC. this ment that it was:

NAVIGATION VESSELE

The second C obviously means that when ships exceeded the alphabet, they started again, this time using an additional letter. thuis giving us the third C

The numbers:

1701, means that it was the 1701st ship in Starfleet that exceeded Warp 8

I hope you can understood this. I proberbly wont!!!!!!!

Edited by MANVERU

I thoght I read somewhere that the "N" stands for "nacelles," but I can't really remember with a conclusive degree of certainty.

Sorry to ruin your day Manveru, but NCC stands for nothing.... I've said this repeatedly, it means absolutely nothing, this according to the Star Trek encyclopedia...

I think it probably has some significance, but probably more ceremonial than actual meaning. Starfleet takes alot of it's traditions from the US Navy, as is evident by the rank structure. the RN, for example, doesn't have the rank of Ensign, but rather starts at Sub-Leftenant, the equivelent of a Lieutenant JG in the US Navy. Alot of the Naval traditions of Starfleet are general Naval traditions, but I would say drawn from the US Navy because Gene Roddenberry was American, and he knew more about the American Navy than any others. USS is probably just a hold-over from the US Navy.

USS has been mentioned several times in Star Trek: TOS. The first was by Pike as United Space Ship. Kirk later said that the USS was United Star Ship.

I have often believed with no proof, that USS was just taken from the Navy's ships. Then the writers made up a meaning for it once they were asked about it too often.

MANVERU, do you have proof of this registry system? It seems to make sence, but I'm pretty sure that the N doesn't mean Nacelles or navigation. Not that I have a better idea."

I said that I had a THEORY that "N" stands for navigation.

Just curious, does anyone know what the Defiants registry number is?

I said that I had a THEORY that "N" stands for navigation.

Just curious, does anyone know what the Defiants registry number is?

NX-74205

Interesting, maybe the letters after "N" tell us what type of ship it is.

There must be some sort of relation between the defiant and the Enterprise NX

Interesting, maybe the letters after "N" tell us what type of ship it is.

There must be some sort of relation between the defiant and the Enterprise NX

NX denotes a prototype ship (the first of her class). The major examples are Enterprise (NX-01), Excelsior (NX-2000 (later changed to NCC) and Defiant (NX-74205).

In reality, NCC is really just the first part of an airplane registry (NC) with and extra C thrown on the end. 1701 was selected as the registry for the original series Enterprise becasue the numbers were easily readible from a distance.

Actually, NX was only used as prototype in the Federation, not Earth Starfleet. NX referred to the class, NX class. Also, the Columbia was the NX-02

I read in a book somewhere that NCC stood for Naval Construction Contract, but in another thread Odie says Starfleet is attempting to not be TOO military, so Naval Construction Contract wouldn't work.

Interesting stuff.

Has Star Trek ever explained (or attempted to) why so many ships and installations carry human names? Or why so many crews are dominated by humans?

I know it's because it's convenient from a production standpoint. But is there a good reason within canon for it?