Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Marc Alaimo

Watching Deep Space Nine tonight it really struck me how great Marc was as Dukat in DS9.. I really don't think the show would have been nearly as good without him..

I've been wondering if Marc ever does Trek conventions..He should be asked..

Edited by SpaceTigger

Marc Alaimo is awesome.

A talented actor. I've seen him in a lot of films, and he's always able to make his character dynamic.

As evil as Gul Dukat was, Alaimo made him a character that you almost sympathised with and wanted to fight for.

Marc was fantastic as Dukat..And I just feel that he should be included in Trek's 40th anniversary..But I've never heard of him going to any conventions..

I completely agree, he was great as Dukat. That character was one that you never knew if you should hate him or love him... or both at the same time.

He's done conventions in the past, I'm not sure how often or how many but he's done them.

Here's a pic of him, Casey Biggs and Jeffrey Combs at one:

ds9trio.jpg

The above picture is from this site:

http://www.knology.net/~trekfans/trek/gs10.html

Well it's like my fiancée was explaining to me about wrestling. She follows the WWE shows. She explained that there are "Faces" and "Heels" - the former you root for, the latter you boo... because one plays the hero; the other, the villain. But both are there to entertain. A good "heel" makes you hate him, but is cool at the same time. So far the best "heel" I've seen is RAW's "Edge". He's hard to like at first, but he's good at what he does.

Dukat is better still. He's a villain, but he's very likeable, even when he's at his worst. I'm going to look him up on IMDb, see what else he's in. "The Patriot" came on TV a week or two ago, and it was a trip seeing Rene Auberjonois (sp?) in a non-Trek role.

I've always hated Dukat, I just see him as pure evil. Alaimo always did a good job with him, I can't recall a certain time Dukat was shown that he wasn't hiding something or manipulating someone.

Dukat was charasmatic which I think is essential for a villian in a show like that, it's the same reason I like Bahl from SG-1.

What made Dukat a great villian is that he never thought of himself as a villian or that he was evil. He really believed he was doing the right thing. Those are always the best villians.

He just seemed to get caught up with all the wrong ppl.

To paraphase ben sisko in what you leave behind. he has a talent for chosing the wrong side.

He just seemed to get caught up with all the wrong ppl.

To paraphase ben sisko in what you leave behind. he has a talent for chosing the wrong side.

Quote from Dukat's mother:

"He's not a bad boy. He just hangs around with the wrong crowd. THEY make him do bad things. He's a good boy"..... :lol:

Dukat was a classic villian, yet was charismatic and sympathetic at times.

I'm really excited that he will be coming to the Vegas convention :lol: :welcome:

I think Dukat's my favourite character in DS9. Tied with Worf.

Because really, how bad is Dukat? I think a lot of the things people hold against Dukat, they hold against all Cardassians. And the Cardassians are a really cool race. IMHO they're a lot more intereting than the mostly-xenophobic Bajorans. They have two major points against them - the Occupation, and their government (which includes their justice system). But they're a very intelligent species with a keen eye for detail. If Cardassia reformed, or if some more liberal Cardassians split off and made their own world somewhere else, I think people from that world would add a lot to any crew or station, would be greatly admired. Oh, and plus they just look like villains, like the Jem'hadar. The Klingons were done the same way, really.

I think Dukat's my favourite character in DS9. Tied with Worf.

Because really, how bad is Dukat? I think a lot of the things people hold against Dukat, they hold against all Cardassians. And the Cardassians are a really cool race. IMHO they're a lot more intereting than the mostly-xenophobic Bajorans. They have two major points against them - the Occupation, and their government (which includes their justice system). But they're a very intelligent species with a keen eye for detail. If Cardassia reformed, or if some more liberal Cardassians split off and made their own world somewhere else, I think people from that world would add a lot to any crew or station, would be greatly admired. Oh, and plus they just look like villains, like the Jem'hadar. The Klingons were done the same way, really.

I agree about the Cardassians being a very interesting race. People that don't like them based on Dukat or the occupation really aren't looking at the "whole picture". If you take the instances where we've been given a more "in depth" look at Cardassian society we see that there is potential for some really good stories. For the most part though we've only seen the military side of them.

Even there though if you look at the final arc with Damar you can see a lot of potential there.

You know what's funny ... I think that Marc Alaimo is quite good-looking with the Cardassian make-up, but pretty plain looking without it! Likewise for Casey Biggs. I don't know what it was about that Cardassian make-up, but it was actually very flattering to the folks who had to wear it. They look better with it on. How is that possible? LOL

Gul Dukat is the best villain ever to grace a Star Trek episode or movie (and yes, I am including Kahn in that estimation). We were so up and down with Dukat over the course of the series ... first we hate him, then we kind of like him, then we do like him, then we're back to hating, then we pity him, then we LOATHE him at the end.

Quite frankly I was fairly emotionally exhausted by the time the show ended its run!

I'm glad they never had Kira sleeping with Gul Dukat ... they were moving that way uncomfortably so in a number of episodes but it never developed. EEEWWWW ... talk about sleeping with the enemy.

Edited by gul_nodrog

Gul Dukat is the best villain ever to grace a Star Trek episode or movie (and yes, I am including Kahn in that estimation). We were so up and down with Dukat over the course of the series ... first we hate him, then we kind of like him, then we do like him, then we're back to hating, then we pity him, then we LOATHE him at the end.

I absolutely agree with this.

Fianally, after seeing the episode 'Wrongs darker than death or night' in season six ( my DVD's) I was convinced that Dukat was the worst, the cruelest being to inhabit the Star Trek universe. I was never fooled or deceived into sympathy with that character again!

It's no secret to those who know me that Marc Alaimo is one of my favorite actors, and Gul Dukat is my favorite ST bad guy. Let me tell you, it took a lot to surpass Michael Ansara and Kang for me - and Ricardo Montalban and Khan. (What is it with the "k"s?) But Mr. Alaimo did it, no question. I loved that character from "The Emissary" until Season 6, when Dukat got more than a little weird - but that was the character arc, nothing to do with Mr. Alaimo.

I will watch absolutely anything with Marc Alaimo in it. Anything. Just bring it over. Or Tivo it. I'll be there. With popcorn. With Yamak sauce. And kanar. :welcome:

I forgot that I never posted in this thread after seeing Marc in Vegas in 2006. He was a fantastic guest, and he was one of the group at the DS9 breakfast that year. He impressed me in person just as much as he impressed me as Gul Dukat. He and Kira are two convention guests that really deliver, and that gave us truly wonderful DS9 characters

Marc was very charming in the role of Dukat...we should have more villains as suave as this bastard.

Agreed. I think i can fit that role pretty effectively :laugh: After all, Marc and I are both Milwaukee boys. :lol:

What made Dukat a great villian is that he never thought of himself as a villian or that he was evil. He really believed he was doing the right thing. Those are always the best villians.

Well put. :laugh:

Marc was very charming in the role of Dukat...we should have more villains as suave as this bastard.

Agreed. I think i can fit that role pretty effectively :lol: After all, Marc and I are both Milwaukee boys. :lol:

Only you're not a villain...just a suave bastard. ;)

Agreed. I think i can fit that role pretty effectively :lol: After all, Marc and I are both Milwaukee boys. :lol:

Only you're not a villain...just a suave bastard. ;)

I'll take that!!! ;) There must be something in the water here that made me and Marc that way!!! ;)

I'll take that!!! :lol: There must be something in the water here that made me and Marc that way!!! :lol:

It's official: Send all men everywhere to Milwaukee!!! They MUST drink the water!!!! ;)

You may be the best advertisement for the city! :lol: :lol:

Nah...we'd need a Carmen Electra type to promote drinking Milwaukee's Best Aqua.