Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Captain Pike

Whats the general consensus about the original pilot for the original Star Trek?

While I could never imagine Star Trek without Captain Kirk I really do enjoy The Cage and Jeffery Hunter's portrayal of the troubled Captain Pike. I still think that The Cage was the best pilot of a Star Trek show, unless we include Where No Man has Gone Before (Which is my personal favourite episode).

I thought it was very good, but the very clever way they mixed it with new footage to create the Menagerie, was inspired. Spock breaking every rule in the book to give his former captain a life again. That is loyalty!

Caption Pike seemed like a good caption and that “rejected” plot seemed really good.

I’m surprised that it was rejected.

Well I guess we all know why . . . a women as the first officer, a no smoking sign, and actually one reason was Spock (that is when it first was rejected, but later it was excepted).

“The Cage” really had a good story I think. It really shows how creative Gene Roddenberry is (one of many examples). One good thing that they did to not completely get rid of it is by putting sections in “The Menagerie” the only two part episode of TOS. And that basis of that story goes around the issue of “The Cage”. The funny thing is that rejected episode that was in "The Menagerie" actually won a science fiction Hugo Award.

Of course we now say “I could not imagine someone else but Kirk”, but if Pike continued on ST and there rules were reversed, then we would be saying “I could not imagine someone else but Pike”.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Like everyone else I liked Pike, and he could have been the Capt in the series had he not had other obligations in 1966. A couple of interesting other choices they tried were Jack Lord and Lloyd Bridges. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe both men were approached to play Cpt Kirk before a virtual nobody in William Shatner was chosen.

"The Cage" itself is a classic for sure and it's odd, yet interesting to watch it and see where some of the changes were made for "The Menagerie", such as the aliens voices and how they change from one sceen to another.

In some ways the network's attitude toward The Cage was the exact opposite of Gene Roddenberry's image of the future. By that I mean NBC not wanting to have a woman first officer.

Like everyone else I liked Pike, and he could have been the Capt in the series had he not had other obligations in 1966.  A couple of interesting other choices they tried were Jack Lord and Lloyd Bridges. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe both men were approached to play Cpt Kirk before a virtual nobody in William Shatner was chosen.

I believe that you are correct in saying that Lord and Bridges were considered/offered (I'm not sure which) for the part after Jeffrey Hunter turned down the chance of a second pilot. Personally I like the second pilot, as it is my favourite episode of all the Star Trek series, but the other part of me regrets that we only got one adventure with Captain Pike, who was a damn good character (perhaps better than Kirk when you consider the depth of both characters) and was played by great actor.

In retrospect I suppose we were lucky that Hunter could not do the second pilot, because sadly I believe he died in 1969, which would mean no films, no TNG or any of the other spin-offs. Had he lived longer I believe he would have gone on to be one of the Hollywood greats.

Like everyone else I liked Pike, and he could have been the Capt in the series had he not had other obligations in 1966.

Actually, VaBeachGuy, Mr Hunter didn't have any other "obligations" in 1966. He was offered the part of Capt Pike in the second pilot, but he turned it down. Why? The woman who was Mrs Hunter the time was a control freak who ran every aspect of Jeffrey Hunter's life and career. He wanted to take the part, but she convinced him that a role on a TV series was "beneath him" and that he should pursue a career in movies. There was an interview with William Shatner that I saw on television a while back where he thanks Jeffrey Hunter's wife for talking him out of taking the role. If it wasn't for her, there would be no Captain Kirk!

Like everyone else I liked Pike, and he could have been the Capt in the series had he not had other obligations in 1966.

Actually, VaBeachGuy, Mr Hunter didn't have any other "obligations" in 1966. He was offered the part of Capt Pike in the second pilot, but he turned it down. Why? The woman who was Mrs Hunter the time was a control freak who ran every aspect of Jeffrey Hunter's life and career. He wanted to take the part, but she convinced him that a role on a TV series was "beneath him" and that he should pursue a career in movies. There was an interview with William Shatner that I saw on television a while back where he thanks Jeffrey Hunter's wife for talking him out of taking the role. If it wasn't for her, there would be no Captain Kirk!

That's right! I remember now, she told him not to take it. Well, like TransporterMalfunction pointed out above, all things worked out for the best. I do think Hunter would have made a good Captain, it would have been a more "serious" role though I think. I don't know that he would have brought the "lighter side" that Shatner was able to bring.

Funny, but i watched this episode for the first time in three years last week. The look of the episode is a lot more muted than the original series. I know that this was changed as it was the new era of colour colour colour and red was needed etc to make the original series look brighter. But this I thought, took away from the look of the series. I liked the more muted tones that have pretty much been used ever since. Paper print outs, pike's television etc were all to be removed for kirk and co. I know that these were just oversights as every pilot will have. The story was good and the tone was well set for future Star trek though. Hunter was a good lookin bloke and would have piulled the captaincy off well. And being a very anti-shatner person, I would've welcomed him to the part. Darn his wife....

(flatly) no. kirk was better by far better pike was too.....ummmmmmmmm...................to into it i cant explane it

peace ;) :blink: (x-files theam playing) :alien:

I loved Capt Pike, I love all the characters, I love all the actors, I would even love Bruce Willis if he was in Trek. Love as in my fondness for the Star Trek series :wow: