Sign in to follow this  
Tom Phaserman

Military Service...

Have you ever served in your country's military?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever served in your country's armed forces?

• Yes! and I loved it!
    • Yeah. Had fun, but wasn't all it's cracked up to be.
    • Yeah, worst decision of my life.
    • No, but wish I had
    • No, and thankful I didn't.
    • I'm thinking about it.
    • I signed the papers, just waiting to ship out.
  2. 2. If yes, which branch? (Also includes those who selected #7)

• Army/Army Reserve/National Gaurd
    • Navy/Navy Reserve
    • Air Force/Air Force Reserve/Air National Guard
    • Marine Corps/Marine Corps Reserves
    • Coast Guard/Coast Gaurd Reserve
    • Other (Specify)

Okay, I'm kinda new around here, but I know from reading around that a few people here have/are in the Military. I just wanted to get a feel for where the board's population is on this. now, I also know that not every nation has a Coast Gaurd or a Marine Corps, or even a Navy, but I also added the "Other" in there because some countries have standing militias that count as Military Service. As for me, I'm shipping out in June for Basic Military Training with the Army, and after that, to more training for the Airborne.

I served 3 years in the US Army as a Combat Engineer. I was originally supposed to go Airborne as well but I broke my wrist in basic and lost my training slot.

The Army wasn't the worst thing I ever did with my life, but it wasn't all the fun the recruiters said it would be either. (Of course I knew that.) I did consider taking ROTC in college and becoming a commissioned officer, even completed some of the classes, but it just wasn't conducive to my major - at least not in a role I would want after graduation.

I served in the Army.

I needed money for college. Besides that, serving in the Army is sort of a family tradition. My dad served in the Army, and all my brothers (except one), plus 2 sisters. I may have been the last generation though. None of my nephews or nieces have any desire to serve.

While I was in I spent a few years in Germany (Stuttgart).

At times it was physically and mentally exhausting, but in the end it was worth it.

I remember that at first I nearly committed to the navy, because the Naval spokesman I talked to made the navy sound like an outstanding choice. But my dad was so mad and disgusted when I told him, that I basically backed down and went into the Army to please him. I'm not sure what happened with him during WWII, but hate is too light a term to ascribe his feelings toward Marines and Navy men. In all honesty, for a second I thought he was going to punch me when I said I was thinking of going with the navy. :laugh:

Myself, except for the yearly Army-Navy game, I have no problems with marines or sailors.

Edited by APW

It's an "other" for me.

I did try to join, but when I went for the physical they didn't let me in because of my right knee. (I injured it when I was younger, and it never healed quite right.)

Which sucks, because I really wanted to join (I was going for the army, like my parents, and their parents). And they wanted me, because on those military assesment tests that they have high school kids do, I scored well above average in every field. I could've done literally anything the military had to offer.

I stay away from Marines, just to be safe. Not many things scare me, but an Angry Marine is one of them.

:lol: Good Idea.

I stay away from Marines, just to be safe. Not many things scare me, but an Angry Marine is one of them.

:lol: Good Idea.

But they are so fun to make fun at. :wow: Of course, that is you want to end your life in unpleasent manner. :lol:

Well, in Germany girls are only allowed to join the military since 2002. And so every girl who does join the "Bundeswehr" is considered a weirdo. Which was my main reason not to join the military. My father was, because as a boy you have to serve or you have to work one year in hospitals/kindergardens etc. But I'll think about joining when I will be a qualified physician in a zillion years...

If I could have, I would have. But, a case could be made anyways, that I AM "In the Military", since my husband is. You know the line, "Hardest job in the Military is that of the Spouse". It's true!