Sign in to follow this  
APW

Retiring the NX-Class

I was just reading up on the NX-Class at Memory Alpha, and it got me to thinking isn't it a bit odd that Starfleet would retire the class so soon after introducing it, even if upgraded starships were produced like the Daedalus?

The modern Starfleet uses an array of spacecraft, many of which are inferior to those like the Sovereign and Akira. So it makes no sense to me that the NX would be pulled from service in the 2160s... :laugh:

And I'm also wondering why not just uprate the NX's engines to the standards of the Daedalus?

The NX seemed to be a nice, compact design....so why wouldn't a refit have worked? Were the NX's officially retired in the 2160s, or is it just conjecture? Is there a reliable canon source for the retirement in the 2160's?

Sooo many questions. No good answers.

The NX-01 was a prototype so it probably wasn't build to be out in space for more than ten years (as it was). Plus, the NX-01 made a lot of history, it was instrumental in founding the Federation, so it makes sense to retire it. It probably was lucky to survive the Romulan War, so rather than risk it being lost forever, they decided to make it a museum.

I think it would have been really interesting to flash forward to the commissioning of the next Enterprise. There's such a long gap that I think was out of respect and then maybe there was some controversy when they finally decided to build a new one.

and according to Archer's profile in "In a Mirror, Darkly", Archer was alive to see the NCC-1701 Enterprise

Yeah, I can see him giving some speech about continuing the legacy, etc.

Well, the Ambassador class wasn't built in large numbers, even though it had one named Enterprise. It could have been a test bed ship, a gap between the Excelsior and Galaxy classes. Same with the NX class ships, a test bed for the warp 5 engine. By the way, the NX refers to the class, not an experimental ship. That's why Columbia was called NX-02 instead of NCC-02. The USS Excelsior was the first ship seen with the NX in the registry as an experimental ship, NX-2000, which was changed to NCC-2000 by STVI.