Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Are you afraid of death?

Why be afraid of something that is inevetable and can ocur everyday second from birth.

If there's nothing to fear, then why do our instincts do everything they can to keep us alive? Why the feeling of panic and terror with near-death experiences? The wish to survive is just as natural as death, which seems to answer your question. The recognition of death as inevitable versus the wish and will to survive, and for some, the contrived "need" to accomplish feats in this life.

If there's nothing to fear, then why do our instincts do everything they can to keep us alive? Why the feeling of panic and terror with near-death experiences? The wish to survive is just as natural as death, which seems to answer your question. The recognition of death as inevitable versus the wish and will to survive, and for some, the contrived "need" to accomplish feats in this life.

Life uses the universe which created and destroys everything, for aslong as it can, to spread and mutiply and defy its creator The Universe. That is the instinct to stay alive promoting change WITH the environment, to survive.

Tals got the right idea.

Like I said, I don't fear death anyway, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die one of two ways. But to clarify: are you saying that the fear of death is a latent part of our defiance of the universe, and that our instincts are not natural at all?

Like I said, I don't fear death anyway, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die one of two ways. But to clarify: are you saying that the fear of death is a latent part of our defiance of the universe, and that our instincts are not natural at all?

Our survival instincts are a part of every complex lifeform on Earth, I propose that defiance of the Universe is as natural to us as breathing in and out, Humans are the ultimate in defiance of nature, we think our way out of everything, and it seems to work, but the end will inevitably come, we're just great at putting it off.

Our survival instincts are a part of every complex lifeform on Earth, I propose that defiance of the Universe is as natural to us as breathing in and out, Humans are the ultimate in defiance of nature, we think our way out of everything, and it seems to work, but the end will inevitably come, we're just great at putting it off.

I would argue that it's a part of every lifeform on Earth, complex or simple. However, as you are saying, it seems to be a case of the natural versus the natural. Therefore, since this defiance is natural, it seems that it would then only be natural to be afraid of death, that our defiance will prove the weaker.

I don't think anyone can really say weather or not they fear death until they stare it in the eyes, so honestly, I don't know. I've never actually faced death myself.

I would argue that it's a part of every lifeform on Earth, complex or simple. However, as you are saying, it seems to be a case of the natural versus the natural. Therefore, since this defiance is natural, it seems that it would then only be natural to be afraid of death, that our defiance will prove the weaker.

True enough, on simple lifeforms however, I would say that they are too simple to have any survival instincts whatsoever, but they do have the instructions to reproduce and mutate, their 'defiance' is not yet sentient :look:

I don't think anyone can really say weather or not they fear death until they stare it in the eyes, so honestly, I don't know. I've never actually faced death myself.

The closest I've gotten was when I had alcohol poisoning, I could feel the light of life in my head getting dimmer, and it scared me.

I've been in car accidents etc before, where I could of died, I was unafraid, it happened too fast..

I'd like to hear something on the subject of near death from those who really know it!

On one other note, you think about many other phobias. What is the fear of them for? That they will be harmed/killed by it. Ophidiophobes fear snakes because of getting bitten or squeezed to death. Acrophobes fear heights because they may fall. Claustrophobes fear they'll suffocate, etc. All of these point to death because death is the ultimate form of harm.

On one other note, you think about many other phobias. What is the fear of them for? That they will be harmed/killed by it. Ophidiophobes fear snakes because of getting bitten or squeezed to death. Acrophobes fear heights because they may fall. Claustrophobes fear they'll suffocate, etc. All of these point to death because death is the ultimate form of harm.

Death is to stop existing actively. I believe phobias are imprented in DNA from generation to next, like from our primitive past when things like snakes that happen often and prove [near]fatal.

The closest I've gotten was when I had alcohol poisoning, I could feel the light of life in my head getting dimmer, and it scared me.

I've been in car accidents etc before, where I could of died, I was unafraid, it happened too fast..

I'd like to hear something on the subject of near death from those who really know it!

Hmm, the question is, who on this board can say they've been there, though?

Theres enough members surely theres 1.

Not being afraid of death and having "a will to live as long as possible" are not contradictory. To say you're nto afraid of death does not mean you won't do all you can to preserve your life -

Phobias are not genetic because they often have psychological roots (and cures) - they are a far different thing from survival instinct -

True enough, on simple lifeforms however, I would say that they are too simple to have any survival instincts whatsoever, but they do have the instructions to reproduce and mutate, their 'defiance' is not yet sentient :look:

Sentience and survival instinct are not necessarily tied together. And just how simple of life-forms are we talking about? Octopi shoot ink when attacked by a predator; insects fly away from most dangers that they sense. Bacteria mutate to stay ahead of anti-bodies. Further, just the mere instincts to feed is a survival instinct.

Death is to stop existing actively.

Exactly. What bigger harm to our will to live than to have it end completely?

And yes, TUH, I believe it is possible. As I said, other than basic instincts, I don't fear death, but I don't actively seek it.

Theres enough members surely theres 1.

Certainly the handful of members who have gone through actual combat might be able to shed some light on it? I can't think of too many things, not even car accidents, but maybe an impending plane crash, that would actually force someone to stare death in the face long enough to actually think about it.

Not really, at least not consciously. Death (as experienced from the inside) is an event removed from life, I can't imagine what it will be like. Generally I either don't think about death or treat it as irrelevant.