Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

The cerebral nature of TOS

We are watching TOS in its entirety (as stated previously we got the series for Christmas).

I am finding that you simply cannot watch two or three episodes back to back like you can with TNG, DS9, VOY or that other one. It takes a lot more time to get your mind around a TOS episode. Plus, they seem longer than a typical one-hour show.

I find myself amazed at how far ahead of its time TOS was .... its well-written, very decently acted, not bad special effects considering when it was made. I'm not at all surprised it only had a three-year run! Not because it wasn't a good show, but because I'll bet there were a limited number of television watchers back then who were even ABLE to truly appreciate it. I dunno ... I'm rambling.

I just think that it is an extremely GOOD show and really stands up to the test of time. Hokey SE aside, the stories and acting are top-notch.

Yeah, I don't know. I love TOS, I find the episodes longer as well. I don't know whether or not the episodes seeming longer are a good thing or a bad thing. But I agree the writing in most episodes of TOS was great (I say most because there were a few episodes where it was pretty 60's-ish). But yeah TOS was by far the best show to ever come out of that decade.

I love TOS.

I think TOS and even TAS offer some awesome science fiction stories.

One of these days, when I do finally start buying seasons sets I'm probably only going to buy TOS and The Animated Series. Love 'em, Love 'em. Love 'Em!

Edited by APW

I'd have to check on my DVD's to be sure but I believe an unedited episode back then was around 50 minutes while an unedited episode now is about 44 minutes.

There less commerical time back in the sixes. Wow, just 10 minutes worth of commericals. That would give them more time develop the story line and characters on the show. Now its about 22 minutes and some of the shows are rushed to develop with less time.