Sign in to follow this  
Dana Scully

Star Trek Nemesis

I really enjoyed Star Trek Nemesis.

Did ya'll like it?

SYNOPSIS:

Click for Spoiler:

On Romulus, the senate is locked in heated debate. Romulus and sister world Remus are divided, but the Reman leader, Shinzon, has a plan to unite them. Shinzon's plan is rejected, and the senate moves on to other matters. A mysterious device sits on one desk … and suddenly opens, filling the senate chamber with a strange, green energy. Suddenly, light begins to fill the room and everyone inside groans with pain as their flesh decays. Within seconds, the entire senate is dead.

Meanwhile, Captain Jean-Luc Picard is presiding over a particularly joyous event: a party celebrating the wedding of William Riker and Deanna Troi. As best man, Picard offers up a toast, and complains that everything around him is changing — Riker is leaving for his own command, the Titan, and Troi is joining him. Data will be taking over as first officer of the Enterprise. As everyone wishes the happy couple well, Data serenades them with a rendition of "Blue Skies." Afterwards, the Enterprise heads to Betazed, where the crew will participate in a traditional Betazoid wedding (which makes Worf very nervous). En route, Worf notices a positronic signal emanating from the desert-like planet of Kolarus III. As only Dr. Soong-constructed androids like Data emit a positronic signal, Picard orders the ship to re-route for further investigation.

Data, Worf and Picard head down to the planet with the Argo, a shuttle with a special, dune buggy-like vehicle, in tow. They soon discover various android-like body parts, one of which is a head that looks remarkably like Data. Their mission is interrupted by the natives of Kolarus III, who chase the landing party back to the shuttle. Back on the ship, Geordi La Forge concludes that the android has similar internal mechanics as Data, but is not as developed. La Forge deduces that this one is a prototype. The head introduces himself as "B-4." Hoping to aid B-4's development, Data downloads his memory engrams into B-4's matrix. B-4 doesn't seem to be assimilating all of this new information, but La Forge suggests that Data merely give it some time.

Later on, Admiral Janeway orders Picard on a mission to Romulus. The new Praetor, a Reman named Shinzon, has requested a Federation envoy. On the way to Romulus, Data briefs the crew on the Remans, noting that due to high temperatures on one side of their home planet, they live on the dark side and avoid the sun. It is also noted that the Remans have a reputation as warriors — during the Dominion war, some of their troops were used as cannon fodder.

Once they arrive at the designated coordinates, the crew of the Enterprise is kept waiting for 17 hours. Finally, a massive battleship called the Scimitar uncloaks. Shinzon's Viceroy tersely informs the crew of where they are to transport. Once inside the dark, shadowy vessel, the crew meets Shinzon — and he's human. He also seems particularly interested in Troi, as he has never seen a human female before. Picard wants to know what this mysterious new Praetor wants, but Shinzon will only reveal that he desires peace and unity. Shinzon then raises the lights, and Picard is shocked to see a familiar face staring back at him. Shinzon reveals that he has a rare syndrome known as Shalaft's Syndrome, then draws a knife and cuts himself. As he passes the knife to Data, Shinzon extends a dinner invitation to Picard.

Back on Enterprise, Dr. Crusher uses the blood from the knife to confirm the captain's suspicious: Shinzon is a clone of Picard. The crew is mystified, however, as to why he exists.

Meanwhile, on Romulus, Shinzon's Romulan supporters are growing impatient — they don't understand what Picard and the Enterprise have to do with his plan. Shinzon merely tells them to have patience, then surreptitiously asks one of the Romulan commanders, Donatra, to keep an eye out for any treacherous action. Later on, Shinzon dines with Picard, and provides an explanation as to how he came to be. Apparently, there was a Romulan plot to replace Picard with a clone, but it was interrupted when Shinzon was only a child. The Romulans then sent him to work in the dilithium mines on Remus. It was there that Shinzon was taken in by one Reman in particular, the man who now serves as his Viceroy. Now, Shinzon says he only wants freedom for his Reman brothers. Picard doesn't quite trust Shinzon yet, but says that he hopes to … one day. Once Picard has left, the Viceroy reminds Shinzon not to forget their mission.

Back on Enterprise, Picard receives disturbing news. La Forge informs him that unauthorized access to the main computer has been detected. Also, while reviewing the sensor logs, La Forge noticed that when the Scimitar decloaked, the presence of thalaron was detected. Thalaron is a deadly form of radiation that was banned by the Federation — a microscopic amount has the ability to kill all living matter. Disturbed, Picard orders the crew to find a way to stop this deadly threat.

That night, newlyweds Troi and Riker are in bed together. Suddenly, Troi's husband is no longer with her — he has been replaced by Shinzon! Somehow, he and the Viceroy are inside her mind. She manages to summon all of her strength and push him away, but remains shaken. Aboard the Scimitar, the Viceroy tells Shinzon that the bond has been broken. In Sickbay, Troi attempts to explain the attack to Picard and Crusher. Suddenly, Picard disappears and finds himself aboard the Scimitar, with Shinzon. The Picard clone has also transported B-4 to his ship — he was using the android to gain access to Starfleet information. As Shinzon takes a sample of Picard's blood, he explains that his plan is to conquer the Federation, so the Remans may rule the entire galaxy. Shinzon informs Picard that the captain will not be alive to witness this triumph. Once Shinzon leaves, B-4 returns saying that the Praetor needs the prisoner. As they leave, it becomes clear that B-4 is actually Data, who has been feeding the Remans false information. They head for the shuttlebay. After a shoot-out with the Reman crew, they manage to steal a small ship, and head back to Enterprise via the only escape route — through the corridors of the ship. Enterprise beams Picard and Data aboard and jumps to warp.

Meanwhile, the Romulan senate is growing restless — Shinzon has taken no action since coming to power as Praetor. Shinzon once again advises patience. Donatra and the others, however, are beginning to have doubts — they believe Shinzon's plan extends way beyond defeating Earth.

On Enterprise, Dr. Crusher has managed to discover why Shinzon is after Picard. Because of the flawed cloning process used to create Shinzon, his cellular structure is now breaking down. Unless he receives a transfusion from Picard, he will die. Picard deduces that Shinzon will come for him. Meanwhile, Data must deactivate B-4 to prevent the latter from gathering any information for Shinzon.

Later on, La Forge briefs the crew on the Scimitar's thalaron radiation weapon. Given the size and scope of the weapon, Picard deduces that Shinzon must have a particular target in mind — Earth. And there's still no way to penetrate the ship's cloak. The crew prepares for battle, determined that Shinzon will not be allowed to use this weapon, and Enterprise sets off to join the Fleet in Federation space. Data reports that the ship will be "blind" as it passes through the Bassen Rift. Picard orders evasive maneuvers, but it's too late — Enterprise is fired on by the Scimitar, taking out the warp drive. In the midst of battle, Shinzon asks Picard to meet him in the captain's ready room. Picard arrives to find a holographic Shinzon, who orders him to surrender. The captain tries to reach Shinzon, saying that the Praetor has the untapped potential to be a better man. Shinzon, however, says that he cannot fight what he is.

As the battle continues, Enterprise receives some surprise assistance from a pair of Romulan warbirds commanded by Donatra. The Scimitar engages the ships in battle, and Donatra's warbird is soon disabled. At this point, Troi says that she may know of a way to locate the cloaked Scimitar. Using her mental link with the Viceroy, Troi is able to find the ship, and Enterprise manages to bring down the cloak. The Scimitar fires back, and Enterprise loses its shields. A furious Shinzon orders a Reman boarding party to bring him Picard. In response, a security team led by Worf and Riker sets out to stop them.

At this point, only a force field is keeping the Bridge crew from being sucked into space. Determined to stop the Scimitar no matter what the cost, Picard uses all of Enterprise's remaining power to ram the ship. Meanwhile, Riker finds and kills the Reman Viceroy.

The Scimitar begins to pull free, so Picard attempts to destroy Enterprise in a final, desperate maneuver. Auto-destruct, however, is off-line — and the thalaron weapon has begun to deploy. Grimly, Picard decides that there's only one way to stop the weapon — he will beam over to the Scimitar. As soon as he does so, Data orders Troi to take command and heads for one of the damaged ends of Enterprise. La Forge lowers the force field, and Data launches himself out into space, towards the Scimitar.

On the Reman Bridge, Picard has managed to kill much of the crew and is locked in deadly hand-to-hand combat with Shinzon. Finally, he uses a spear-like piece of the ship to impale his clone. Shinzon forces himself along the spear until he is right next to Picard. With his dying breath, Shinzon tells Picard that their destiny is complete. Suddenly, Data appears. The android moves Shinzon's body off of Picard and slaps an emergency transport device on his captain. Before Picard can protest, he has dematerialized. Data fires on the thalaron activation matrix, and the weapon explodes. From the Bridge, Picard and the Enterprise crew watch the explosion in horror, realizing that Data has sacrificed himself.

Later, the senior officers gather to remember their lost friend. Picard also wants to tell B-4 about his courageous brother, but the android still appears not to completely comprehend what has happened. As Picard is about to leave, B-4 softly sings to himself: "Never saw the sun ... Never saw the sun ..." In a moving moment, the captain realizes that B-4 is singing "Blue Skies," the same song that Data serenaded the crew with not so long ago. Perhaps Data's memory will live on after all.

Stardate:213551.9

Well its not the worst Star Trek movie(Star trek V)but it pretty close.It had a good story line but what I think the movie needed was more character and a little less action.Now dont get me wrong the fighting scenes were awsome but the movie needed more character.Now if that what was all that was wrong with the movie then I would of let it slide.But when they killed Data and replaced him with the sorry excuse for an android B-4 thats is what broke the camels back. It was a very bad way to end TNG and I think the greatest Star trek series ever deserves better than that.This is probably the only Star trek movie I wont bother buying the DVD for.Hell I even got the Star Trek V DVD if that says anything.

So in conlusion I give this movie two thumbs down. Sorry B&B lets try again and see if we can get it right this time.

I liked Nemesis a lot, though there is a "little" fact that made me look like this: :D

Data's dead.

This was the biggest mistake ever made. How could they let him diiiieeee *runs around* :D

Besides that, Nemesis was good if you add the missing scenes to it.

I thought it was a real Jean-Luc/Data movie and the other crew members were... where were they??? B) Were they really there? So for me a Jean-Luc-movie is good but for some other fans that wanted to see a little more scenes with Dr. Crusher, for example, this must have been such an annoying movie..

Anyway. I liked Nemesis though it is not as good as First Contact.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I basically liked the movie, though I really wish to pretend the movie didn't happen. The ending, especially.. :D I really don't like that ending.

I put the movie either tied with Insurrection for second or in third depending on my mood.

Yeah, killing off Data was a terrible mistake on their part.

We still have B-4, but he may look the same as him, but he only has Data's memorie files. Too me, its not the same.

For the record killing Data was not "their" mistake, it was Brent Spiners "mistake".

NEM had some flaws but I remember having a good time watching it the first time and that is how I judge a film.

We still have B-4, but he may look the same as him, but he only has Data's memorie files.  Too me, its not the same.

Same for me, he is not the same. He can't be.

And for the record, I kinda really liked the Argo scene. Many people don't like it or don't care for it...but I liked it a bit.

Every Time I see Nemesis, I Love It Even More B)

Lastnight, we were watching it on PPV, and when the Schimitar Blew Up, my brother(first time seeing it) asked..

"So what's the next one gonna be? The Search For Data?" :D

We Then Made a Joke, but I don't think the Soong Sisters would appreciate it, so I'll just go now :D

Every Time I see Nemesis, I Love It Even More :D

Lastnight, we were watching it on PPV, and when the Schimitar Blew Up, my brother(first time seeing it) asked..

"So what's the next one gonna be?  The Search For Data?"  :D

We Then Made a Joke, but I don't think the Soong Sisters would appreciate it, so I'll just go now  B)

LOl, the seurch for Data :waaaa: Funny.

Yillara_Soong: The Argo was awsome :waaaa:

I wish I could drive it.

Sadly every time i see NEM, i hate it more. tehre were jsut too many wholes that i saw and that still have not been explained.

Take the ending. After my beloved is killed (GRRRRRRRRR) and The Schimitar blew up they showed the Enterprise who had been busted up and was limping away at impulse or thrusters and the shiields were gone in areas, but the ship does not ever SHAKE when the Schimitar explodes RIGHT THERE!!!!

i find the fact taht the movie had all the life on the ship living after that hard to believe if what we were told about the weapon was true and i find the fact that the ship did not ever rock impossible to believe.

i don't like it and i never will

and your right Sam, we most likely would not have liked your joke, However, you are still free to tell it as long as it was not insulted OF us! :D

I just don't get why you all call Data's death a "mistake". It's a movie, a story. It's there story to tell, and they felt that Data should be killed off at the end of the movie. Sure, I loved the character, but it's there story to tell, ya know?

Well even if it has holes, and Data was killed, I still liked it.

However "Blue Skies" will never be the same for me again. It now brings a tear to my eyes.

However "Blue Skies" will never be the same for me again. It now brings a tear to my eyes.

Oh I know I was at a choir concert and they were singing "Blue Skies" I was afraid I was going to make a fool out of myself from my tears.. :D

It had a good story line but what I think the movie needed was more character and a little less action

Exactly my point of view.

The potential was there.. They just didn't use it well.

And yes, I :D B) :D at the end everytime I watch it

As for why the Enterprise didn't shake when the Schimitar Blew, that kind of stuff doesn't really bother bother me and doesn't ruin the movie for me....but you're right...being that close to eachother the Enterprise should have done....something.

Another Error would be Worf ordering a Security Detail to Deck 29, onboard a 24 Deck ship. It was stupid, but didn't bother me too much.

And Killing Data was another evolution of his Character. I'm serious. Dyig is part of Being Human, and we all know that Data had lived his entire life in a quest to be more Human.

and your right Sam, we most likely would not have liked your joke, However, you are still free to tell it as long as it was not insulted OF us!

If You Insist....I just mentioned to him "What If They Had Data's Head Fly Out Of The Explosion And Hit The Force Field?"

I put Nemesis about equal with ST5. bedlam.gif The special effects were great, Riker looked yummy as always, but that's about all the good I can say about it. I hate that they ended my favorite series like that. :D I won't be buying it either.

Every Time I see Nemesis, I Love It Even More :waaaa:

"So what's the next one gonna be?  The Search For Data?"  :D

We Then Made a Joke, but I don't think the Soong Sisters would appreciate it, so I'll just go now  :waaaa:

LOl, the seurch for Data B) Funny.

Yillara_Soong: The Argo was awsome :D

I wish I could drive it.

Me too, I like riding go-carts.. the Argo would be awesome(though silly thing is I am really obssesed with driving the speed limit in my car... :) )

and your right Sam, we most likely would not have liked your joke, However, you are still free to tell it as long as it was not insulted OF us!
I agree with this, and now that I saw Sam's finished joke....ummm, boy I wish I had not seen that.

I just don't get why you all call Data's death a "mistake".  It's a movie, a story.  It's there story to tell, and they felt that Data should be killed off at the end of the movie.  Sure, I loved the character, but it's there story to tell, ya know?

Stardate:213553.9

He is right.Its their story to tell.I dont like it either and frankly im a bit pissed(excuse my language)myself but hey there is nothing we can do about it.

I think to me it would have made more sense if they had Data, but no B-4. If Brent Spiner's logic was that he was getting too old to play Data, then how is he not too old to play B-4 who looks just like Data? :rolleyes:

They made it look as though Data is dead, yet B-4 is alive and well and it is possible that this character could make an appearance in the next movie. So what kind of sense does that make? If Brent is too old to play one android, would he not be too old to play them all? :bow:

I just thought the whole thing with B-4 was too contrived and impossible since it was stated that Soong's other androids had died.

Why couldn't they just do CGI on Data's face to erase any wrinkles or signs of age? I thought the B4 looked almost exactly as the Brent looked at the start of the series well, maybe not the start but at NEM I remember thinking how much more the B4 looked like an earlier Data than Data did.

I think to me it would have made more sense if they had Data, but no    B-4. If Brent Spiner's logic was that he was getting too old to play Data, then how is he not too old to play B-4 who looks just like Data?  :rolleyes:

They made it look as though Data is dead, yet B-4 is alive and well and it is possible that this character could make an appearance in the next movie. So what kind of sense does that make? If Brent is too old to play one android, would he not be too old to play them all?  :bow:

I just thought the whole thing with B-4 was too contrived and impossible since it was stated that Soong's other androids had died.

Darn Lessa, you beat me to posting about this. Not much I have to add to what you have stated so well, other than agreeing completely.

I have been complaining so much about B4's storyline(hey, my family makes the mistake of starting the conversation), I am waiting for them to duct tape my mouth closed. My mom's reasoning is that Brent can get away with being B4 because B4 is the older brother. I then usually remind her he does not have the aging chip, Data however does. And yes, he would really be difficult to properly explain without contriving because Data and Lore's older brothers did die of cascade failures.

I think to me it would have made more sense if they had Data, but no    B-4. If Brent Spiner's logic was that he was getting too old to play Data, then how is he not too old to play B-4 who looks just like Data?  :(

They made it look as though Data is dead, yet B-4 is alive and well and it is possible that this character could make an appearance in the next movie. So what kind of sense does that make? If Brent is too old to play one android, would he not be too old to play them all?  :(

Darn Lessa, you beat me to posting about this. Not much I have to add to what you have stated so well, other than agreeing completely.

I have been complaining so much about B4's storyline(hey, my family makes the mistake of starting the conversation), I am waiting for them to duct tape my mouth closed. My mom's reasoning is that Brent can get away with being B4 because B4 is the older brother. I then usually remind her he does not have the aging chip, Data however does. And yes, he would really be difficult to properly explain without contriving because Data and Lore's older brothers did die of cascade failures.

Data got an aging chip???

I lost that somewhere...

It's my theory that B4's cascade failure wasn't "lethal", thus he was salvaged and repaired by aliens with experrience with artificial lifeforms, B4 goes off on a long journey, before being discovered by Shinzon and the Remans.

Anywho, I noticed that too, that B4 did look "younger" than Data. One theory I had, was that Data's exoskeleton has been "wearring" over the years, thus he looks "aged". I don't buy the aging chip idea as his exoskeleton is a metal.

I lost that somewhere...

either chip or program, cant exactly remember, but it was mentioned in an episode.

I lost that somewhere...

either chip or program, cant exactly remember, but it was mentioned in an episode.

I thought it was Datas "MOM" who has an aging chip?

I lost that somewhere...

In the episode "Inheritance" when Geordi and Dr. Crusher are trying to fix Data's mother Geordi says "It's part of her aging program. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too." I believe this was the first mention of Data having an aging program in the series.

I lost that somewhere...

In the episode "Inheritance" when Geordi and Dr. Crusher are trying to fix Data's mother Geordi says "It's part of her aging program. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too." I believe this was the first mention of Data having an aging program in the series.

Yes, thats the one...thanks Takara. I was trying to remember if that one was the first.I guess it was after all.

It was the first, last and only. It was never mentioned again and taht was one of the reasons that Spiner thought few of us would ahve taken notice of it, and it seems that he was correct on many counts, but a lot of us still did notice!