Sign in to follow this  
voyagerboy

DVD PRICES

The last time I went to a Wal-Mart in my area they were just $99.99 (or about that), but nothing like $139. I you sure they said 139? And that was not there “regular price” (to sweeten up the deal) because it was on sale?

That just seems odd to be that high.

I personally bought all the TNG sets at Best Buy because they have a free bonus disk. I do admit that it is a bit more expensive at Best Buy ($110 vs the normal $100), but it is worth it. But the funny thing to that is the fact that the sales paper says $99.99 and then when you go there the label says $110. I tell them each time and sometimes I get a break and I only have to pay the $99.99 (+ tax), but a mostly they make me pay $110.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

That is exactly why I can't get any of them yet!!! Saving enough money to go back to school and/or get a "new" used car is first on my agenda...

I get them at Costco for $89.99. I just bought Season 5 there and it included the bonus disk.

That's gotta be american money then! Here in Canada, I brought season 6 at Costco for $117 - the cheapest I've ever seen!

An inexpensive way to buy seasons I have found is at Suncoast Video.

I go there about 60 days before the release date of a box set I want to get.

They allow you to reserve seasons for as little as $5 down, and then you get the discount price of $99.

Next, I save about 1.80 cents from my daily budget for about 60 days.

Next, (in about 60 days) I take my saved 1.80 a day and pick-up the reserved season.

1.80 X 60 = 108 + 5 (reserve) = $113.OO (INCLUDING TAX!) CHA-CHING!

Personally I find the pricing structure a little ridiculous. If Buffy with six discs is a little under sixty, why should Star Trek be over a hundred.

Personally I find the pricing structure a little ridiculous.  If Buffy with six discs is a little under sixty, why should Star Trek be over a hundred.

I'm sure I don't speak for everyone but I would rather pay $100 for 6 discs filled with TNG than I would $60 for 3 whole seasons worth of Buffy. I'm not trying to knock Buffy I'm just pointing out that TNG season box sets can, will, and are selling for over $100 where as I don't know near as many people who would pay that much for Buffy. It's the sad turth of the industry comes down to this: If you'll pay it, they'll charge it. How many of you have ever paid $3.50 for a small coke at a movie before? Same thing.

I'm sure I don't speak for everyone but I would rather pay $100 for 6 discs filled with TNG than I would $60 for 3 whole seasons worth of Buffy. I'm not trying to knock Buffy I'm just pointing out that TNG season box sets can, will, and are selling for over $100 where as I don't know near as many people who would pay that much for Buffy. It's the sad turth of the industry comes down to this: If you'll pay it, they'll charge it. How many of you have ever paid $3.50 for a small coke at a movie before? Same thing.

While your point is valid is does not make the practice right. Personally the ridiculous pricing structure is the reason why I have not and in all likelihood will not be purchasing any of the Star Trek collections. I wonder how many fans feel the same way.

That's gotta be american money then! Here in Canada, I brought season 6 at Costco for $117 - the cheapest I've ever seen!

Yes, that is American money. I live in California.

I would have to agree with you, Stoek (and I used to pay that much for coke at the theatres, but now I jus buy my food before I go in...)

Unfourunately for me (and luckily for Paramount), I'm enough of a Trekkie to be outraged and still buy all sthe seasons. And I have to admit - as soon as I'm done with TNG, I'm going straight onto DS9 :bow: It's like an addiction!

I think it is hard to compare the box sets just by price. For examples, The Sopranos box sets have a list price of around $100 but they are only 4 disks AND have only 12 or 13 episodes per season. By comparison TNG had 26 episodes (except the writer's strike shortened season 2).

I certainly have never regretted buying all 7 seasons of TNG. They are worth every penny.

Stoek is right it really isn't an ethical practice. That is why I said it was the "sad" turth. I still think however that you do get more out of a TNG box set than you would a season of Buffy. How many times can you watch Buffy over and over again? I'm re-watching season 3 of TNG right now and most of these episodes I've seen at least 5 times already. For me TNG was more than just a TV show, it's soul juice baby! :bow:

Stoek is right it really isn't an ethical practice. That is why I said it was the "sad" turth. I still think however that you do get more out of a TNG box set than you would a season of Buffy. How many times can you watch Buffy over and over again? I'm re-watching season 3 of TNG right now and most of these episodes I've seen at least 5 times already. For me TNG was more than just a TV show, it's soul juice baby!  :bow:

Ain't it the truth. I own the DVDs and I still have to watch TNG on TNN. Most nights I would rather watch a TNG episode than the drivel on television.

Now if only a) the DVDS were not so expensive and (2) TNN went back to having TNG two times a night. Then life would be wonderful (until someone goes and brings up the end of Nemesis-but that is another discussion!)

Well, there's a couple of options people can go for. Check Ebay, there's people on there selling the sets at lower then retail prices.

Or 2 you can do like I did and download all of the episodes (I have over 60 Gigs of episodes on my hard drive right now, most of TNG and all of DS9 and all of Enterprise)

That is what my little (why do I say that I am 4'11" and he is 6'1")...younger brother suggested to me. He noticed that the video quality of the VHS tape I had was not really what it could be. He said that it may be easier for me to get the shows on CD and then watch them on my computer (I don't have a TV in my room).

That is what my little (why do I say that I am 4'11" and he is 6'1")...younger brother suggested to me. He noticed that the video quality of the VHS tape I had was not really what it could be. He said that it may be easier for me to get the shows on CD and then watch them on my computer (I don't have a TV in my room).

I watch at least 2 episodes of Star Trek every single night on my computer. Sometimes TNG, sometimes DS9. SOmetimes I mix it up and watch 1 from all 5 series. The video quality of the downloaded episodes isn't great, in some cases worse then VHS quality but when you can fit 5, 6 or 7 episodes on one CD it's worth it.

It's most definitely worth it! E-bay's a good idea, though... but I never want to trust anything I can't seee right in front of me. How do I know WHY these guys are selling stuff? or if they're just faking having it at all?

Guest Ktrek

If you don't care about the little bonus discs that come from TNG or DS9 sets purchased from BestBuy and related companies, then may I suggest http://www.northamericandvd.com/ ? It has the season sets for $82.99 U.S. or $131.99 Canadian. This is the best online price you can find. I usually go to Sam Goody to get mine or Suncoast. Mainly because I want the bonus disc. Their price is $99.99 BUT I am a member of their Replay club which gets me further discounts. $5 for every $100 I spend but that is not all if you play the game right they have special deals like 1000 bonus points for pre-order. Then they have special days where they have triplepoint weekends. By the time I collected all the TNG sets I spent about $79.00 per season on average just by playing the game. Now to me that is very reasonable. I got the bonus discs and still payed less than northamericandvd.com! :wow:

Ktrek

about the bonus discs (which I guess I do care about) - do all seasons have them? I've only seen them in 6 and 7, and I only have 7...

Guest Guest

Yes all seasons of TNG have a bonus disc.

Ktrek

Yes all seasons of TNG have a bonus disc.

Ktrek

Depended on where you buy them. The bonus disks were a special promotion for certain stores only. Someone on the st.com boards said the disks that came with the TNG DVDs didn't have anything new on them - they were previously released products that could be bought separately elsewhere.

Guest Ktrek

Some of the bonus cds were actually released as other products which are now out of print. I don't think you will find any of them anymore.

Ktrek

For those extra bonus disks that Best Buy had . . . .

Season 1: ST TNG Companion Guide CD-ROM

Season 2: ST TNG Interactive Technical Manual CD-ROM

Season 3: Audio Books MP3 Disk “Crossover” & “Ship of the line”

Season 4: {DVD} Select Historical Data & Inside the Star Trek Archives (21 minutes)

Season 5: {DVD} Intergalactic Guest Stars & Alien Speak (29 minutes)

Season 6: {DVD} Select Historical Data Inside & The Starfleet Archives: Sets and Props (31 minutes)

Season 7: {DVD} Special Profiles & Dressing The Future (27 minutes)

Master Q

The last time I went to a Wal-Mart in my area they were just $99.99 (or about that), but nothing like $139. I you sure they said 139? And that was not there “regular price” (to sweeten up the deal) because it was on sale?

That just seems odd to be that high.

I personally bought all the TNG sets at Best Buy because they have a free bonus disk. I do admit that it is a bit more expensive at Best Buy ($110 vs the normal $100), but it is worth it. But the funny thing to that is the fact that the sales paper says $99.99 and then when you go there the label says $110. I tell them each time and sometimes I get a break and I only have to pay the $99.99 (+ tax), but a mostly they make me pay $110.

Master Q

B) :wow::laugh::laugh::wow::wow: B) :wow: I know and I read all of your suggestions but I don't have a computer to get kazaa or 88+ dollars to buy any of them. :wow:

Dang. I have seasons 1, 5, and 6, but I only got a bonus disk for 6 (I said 7 earlier, but that was a typo)

Sign in to follow this