Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

SciFi To Air New Doctor Who

SCI FI To Air New Doctor Who

SCI FI Channel announced Jan. 12 that it will air the first season of the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, starting in March. The 13 episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, will air as part of SCI FI Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

The series, from head writer and executive producer Russell T. Davies, ran originally in the United Kingdom last year and was one of the network's biggest hits ever. An update of the classic Doctor Who show, the series continues in the U.K. with an upcoming second season that will star David Tennant as the Doctor.

"The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in time and space, but this is one of his most exciting yet!" Davies said in a statement. "I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's senior vice president, programming and original movies, said in a separate statement. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."

Meanwhile, BBC Video announced that it has moved the proposed U.S. release date of the Doctor Who first-season DVD set to July 4 from its originally planned February launch.

Yay! About time! Channel 11 in Chicago used to run Dr. Who for many years, often very late on Sunday nights. There used to be a big Sci Fi convention around Thanksgiving here that often featured the Doctors and companions as guests. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Doctor.

Yes that is good news. I have seen some of the first season already and they get better with every episode. That would also be cool if they started to show the old show. I really do miss watching it on PBS late on Saturdays. What about stargate atlantis? Unless this is will be in its repeat cycle.

So... What did everyone think?

I thought it was loads of fun myself, especially The End of the World which had such fun lines as "Guests are reminded that Platform One forbids the use of weapons, teleportation, and religion" or the mentions of the Arctic Desert and the Los Angeles Crevasse. They'll be airing the episode again at 7.00 PM.

How about the jukebox refered to as an "iPod" with classics such as Brittiny Spears's Toxicity and Soft Cells Tainted Love playing.

I was a little disappointed that it was formatted as "continuing adventures" of previous series/movies since I have never seen and was looking forward to seeing the Dr's 'origins'* but no matter, it was fun.

*what should I look for in order to see his origins?

I saw them all with my friend a few weeks ago, so it was a repeat for me. But they were wonderful all the same. I loved the iPod crack :lol:

I think this new series is great. Especially if you ever saw the older series with it's cheesy monsters and exciting rock quarry film locations :welcome: . I would like to see more back story though, and it would be great if they aired previous seasons eventually.

Edited by trekz

Mmm, latest episode wasn't as great as the others since I don't much care for the present-ish setting and most of the characters therein..

My ranking's so far:

End of the World

The Unquiet Dead

Rose

Aliens of London

Anyone care to share their's?

My fav hasn't aired in America yet...Here's my list (give or take, they can be shuffled a bit):

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

The End of the World

The Parting of the Ways

Unquiet Dead

The Christmas Invasion

Dalek

I know I'm missing a bunch, but still :welcome:

From the last season I would put the stories in the following order of preference:

The Unquiet Dead

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (2 parter)

Dalek

The Christmas Invasion

Father's Day

The End of the World

The Parting of the Ways

Rose

The Long Game

World War Three

Aliens of London

Boom Town

Bad Wolf

I just saw the new Dr. Who Dalek episode on SciFi. I thought it was great! The internet guru who was finding alien technology and claiming he invented it was well done. Episodes do seem to be getting better. This episode also answered my question: What killed the rest of the Time Lords?

Personally, it seems like it was the Doctor's actions during the Time War that left both sides virtually unexistant.. Wiping out the ten million Dalek warships seem'd to affect Gallifrey, from what I gather insofar..

Here's the last 8th Doctor book (that attempts to link betwixt the Doctors) for those interested, by-the-way:

"Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles"

The Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey has been destroyed. The Time Lords are dead, their TARDISes annihilated. The man responsible has been tracked down and lured to Earth in the year 2005, where there will be no escape. But Earth has other problems - a mysterious signal is being received, a second moon appears in the sky, and a primordial alien menace waits to be unleashed...

The stage is set for the ultimate confrontation. Now the last of the Time Lords must ensure that justice is done. The Doctor and his companions Fitz and Trix will meet their destiny. And this time, the Doctor isn't going to be able to save everybody.

[Review thereof direct from the Whoniverse....]