Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

The Holodeck

When somebody gets wet in the Holodeck and leaves the holodeck, why are they still wet, is it replicated like the food on the rest of the ship, and I remember I think in seaeson 1 Picard is hit from a snowball from wesley in the holodeck while standing outside in the hallway, wouldnt the snowball just disappear, has anyone else been bothered by these or am I just insane

I would imagine the holodeck is just like a very large replicator. Just like water can stay in a glass after you take it out of the replicator, a person can stay wet with water from the holodeck. That's just what I'm thinking.

and I remember I think in seaeson 1 Picard is hit from a snowball from wesley in the holodeck while standing outside in the hallway, wouldnt the snowball just disappear,

That should never have happened. The snowball should have ceased to exist the moment it left the holodeck.

A snowball is just made up of ice and water, something a replicator can quite easily make. What shouldn't have happened was Wesley throwing it at him and not getting punished....

and I remember I think in seaeson 1 Picard is hit from a snowball from wesley in the holodeck while standing outside in the hallway, wouldnt the snowball just disappear,

That should never have happened. The snowball should have ceased to exist the moment it left the holodeck.

Not true. The snowball was replicated, not holographic so it could leave the holodeck. The same with the paper that Data takes off the holodeck in Elementary, My Dear Data. This is how it is explained in the TNG Technical Manual:

The Holodeck utilizes two main subsystems, the holographic imagery subsystem and the matter conversion subsystem. The holographic imagery subsection creates the realistic background environments. The matter conversion subsystem creates physical "props" from the starship's central raw matter supplies...

Objects created on the Holodeck that are pure holographic images cannot be removed from the Holodeck, even if they appear to possess physical reality because of the forcebeam imagery. Objects created by replicator matter conversion do have physical reality and can indeed be removed from the Holodeck, even though they will no longer be under computer control.

Not true. The snowball was replicated, not holographic so it could leave the holodeck. The same with the paper that Data takes off the holodeck in Elementary, My Dear Data. This is how it is explained in the TNG Technical Manual

So some stuff is replicated and some stuff is holographic? This is making my brain ache!

Not true. The snowball was replicated, not holographic so it could leave the holodeck. The same with the paper that Data takes off the holodeck in Elementary, My Dear Data. This is how it is explained in the TNG Technical Manual

So some stuff is replicated and some stuff is holographic? This is making my brain ache!

Exactly. Things that have a simple molecular structure like water, paper, food, etc. are replicated. More complex molecular structures such a people, animals, etc. are holographic.

now when the safety feature is off and bullets could kill or injur someone, say they didnt die from the gunshot, once thy leave the holodeck would the bullet disappear, I mean a chair can't exist outside the holodeck,now I'm not saying that the injury would go away, just would the bullet, so it wouldnt have to be removed?

now when the safety feature is off and bullets could kill or injur someone, say they didnt die from the gunshot, once thy leave the holodeck would the bullet disappear, I mean a chair can't exist outside the holodeck,now I'm not saying that the injury would go away, just would the bullet, so it wouldnt have to be removed?

The bullet wouldn't disappear because it would have been replicated, not holographic.

another example of the Holodeck doing that is on Encounter at Farpoint when Wesley falls off of the loose rock, and he gets soaked head to toe in the creek. Comes out of the holodeck and is still wet.

I rmember one time they had a chair in the holodeck and tried to transport out to the main ship, it failed, now why couldnt the chair be repicated?

Its really not too consistant. Some things get replicated. Other things don't. Some things can leave the holodeck. Others can't. ....ITS SO CONFUSING!!!!!

now with the safety on could you then drown?

Not with the safety protocols on. You can be injured (i.e. O'Brien's shoulder in several eps), but not killed.

I suppose the computer could just de-materialize any water it detected in your lungs.

I had always wondered what would happen if you got drunk (like really plastered) in a holodeck program, and then ended it. Would the re-created alcohol also dissapear and make you instantly sober?

P.S. This is assuming you've re-created alcohol and none of that sissy synthohol nonsense.

When somebody gets wet in the Holodeck and leaves the holodeck, why are they still wet, is it replicated like the food on the rest of the ship, and I remember I think in seaeson 1 Picard is hit from a snowball from wesley in the holodeck while standing outside in the hallway, wouldnt the snowball just disappear, has anyone else been bothered by these or am I just insane

Oh my god...I just watched this episode and wondered the same thing!

Like when Wes falls in the river in Data's holodeck program, and he's soaking wet when he comes out? And you can't live off holodeck food or get drunk from holodeck liquor, but in First Contact Picard kills Borg with holographic bullets?

Why would holodeck programmers make it so you can die in a holodeck, but you can't get drunk?

I had always wondered what would happen if you got drunk (like really plastered) in a holodeck program, and then ended it. Would the re-created alcohol also dissapear and make you instantly sober?

P.S. This is assuming you've re-created alcohol and none of that sissy synthohol nonsense.

You can become drunk from synthehol. At st.com it explains that the "intoxication effect is all illusion and not chemical" and "the pleasurable stimulus can be shrugged off at any time, but any potency of liquor is available" which means you can feel and act drunk but end the feeling if there's a red alert. It also means that a person can't become addicted to synthehol.