Sign in to follow this  

Enterprise's ratings

TV ratings are very similar to radio ratings. (which I have participated in) The only difference is in radio ratings, the selected person, who represents 1000 people is given a chart to write down his or her radio preferences. In TV, there is a box which attatches to the TV, and instead of writing down the selected person's radio habits, the TV box records, and logs every flip of the channel. Basically, the fat slob who sits at home alone every night watching American Idol represents everyone else in the area. Example...I dont know ANYONE who has watched any reality TV such as Survivor, American Idol, Big Brother, The Amazing Race, or any other worthless rag of TV programming. My point? The ratings are unfair, and the networks dont care that the other 999 people could be watching Enterprise every Wednesday night. They have their system, and thats all they care about. Want to know why Reality TV is so popular? My guess is that there are many people out there who'se lives are so pathetic that they have to watch other people make fools out of themselves for their 15 minutes of fame, and imagine that they might someday do the same.

By the way...Most of the TV shows I watch, I either have to download, or record on the VCR. Why? BECAUSE I HAVE A LIFE!!!!!!...Note...The TV ratings boxes dont recognize preset VCR recordings.

Enterprise is great, and there are many people out there who agree, but arent able to be heard in the ratings because of the way they do it.

I have never put much of a value on the ratings for the very reason you give. If they had a box for all the TV's I bet people would be surprised at just how many people do watch Enterprise every week.

As for the reality TV watchers I must admit I'm a big fan of Survivor,The Amazing Race and Big Brother,but if these shows come on at the same time Enterprise or another good show I like I just simply record the raelity show and watch it later when there is nothing else on I like.

I have never liked the TV ratings system for the very reasons you give.

I have a very busy schedule (working 65 hours per week), so I must carefully pick and choose what I watch. There are only 4 shows I watch religiously: Enterprise, Stargate SG1, 24, and Dead Zone. I also tape Enterprise, 24 and SG1.

I know there are other good shows out there, but I just don't have the time to watch.

Hmmmm, I have to agree with you - the current system would be like asking 1 in every 1000 people to vote and then electing the government from that.

In Australia Star Trek tends to get horrid ratings, because its on at midnight - so people tape it, sometimes I watch it, some times I tape and I know 6 others at my school alone who are the same, but the networks dont know that so they see the low ratings and move the show even further back into night.

I've actually read that Berman & Braga say that ENTERPRISE won't get cancelled, despite it's horrid ratings.

My theory:

A regular TV show would get cancelled if the ratings go down the tubes. Normally, it's because the show is crappy. :rolleyes: However, some times good shows get cancelled due to bad ratings, but if their lucky, a few fan campaigns can give them another season or 2. As for ENTERPRISE, my theory is that due to the all of the STAR TREK merchandise, the people at Paramount are making so much money, where the ratings fail, the Trek merchandise helps pay for ENT, thus the show doesn't get cancelled.

Anyone think this is a good theory?

Exactly. Star Trek has reached such a level of fame that any new show would almost certainly earn Paramount a substantial proft, regardless of the show's quality. That said, I think that Enterprise is a good show, no where near the level of DS9 but still, perfection comes but once a lifetime...

The current ratings system is totaly flawed. It is in essence a cheap gimmick and should be treated as such and should not be treated as if it were the scientific proof of a show's quality. Hopefuly, the suits at Paramount HQ will know this and will not decide on the show's future based on the ratings.

Go forth, wise Paramount, and spread the Good News; Enterprise, will live on... :rolleyes:

Reality TV stinks, it's just cheap TV. I mean Big Bother: Siting in a house watching other people siting in a house! Madness. As for ENT I will say that it's not as good as TNG was and I don't think it will ever be as good as that. But I do like it and will continue to watch it. And I do agree the TV ratings system is very flawed and unfair.

I fully agree with Captain Jean-Luc Picard. The merchandising must really be an enormous business for Paramount. And ENT rates in US simply can't be that bad to be the reason for cancelling the show.

When I read about comparisons of people with other ST shows I often wonder, are our expectations bigger now than it was when the other shows were aired?

Me I love all ST shows, some more, some a little bit less and I think B&B are doing a great job with ENT

I doubt you'll get much argument over the unfairness of the ratings system, I have understood the unfairness of the system for twenty years. Solution?

Enterprise is great, and there are many people out there who agree, but arent able to be heard in the ratings because of the way they do it.

Here is a link to share with them.

ENTERPRISE PROJECT

I full agree!  I watch 3 tv shows:

STARGATE SG-1

ENTERPRISE

EVERWOOD

All 3 rock in my opinion, yet ENT gets crapping raitings. :unsure:

Good shows, except I would replace Everwood with Andromeda.... I personally have a delimma with tv ratings, why cant they do it more high tech and do a television feed electronically? The govt. is so smart with buggin the place (not paranoid), why not just have a tv cord that tracks the completed shows you watch?!? Is it that difficult? Also, what they can do is have a specific tv they can do it from. Just doing like 1000 people is unfair for the rest of the other million + people who watch Enterprise.

;) Bel Ami :bow: