Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Tom Hanks In Star Trek XI?

Rumours have been dropped into the Sci-Fi Heaven news box today of a possible Tom Hanks appearance in the next Star Trek movie. According to our source, should Erik Jendresen’s script be chosen for production (Paramount executives are rumoured to still be analysing the script), Tom Hanks has been penned in as a possible star.

Tom Hanks, one of the movie industry’s most desired talents, previously worked with Erik Jendresen in writing a teleplay for the hit mini-series Band of Brothers.

The move would be a dramatic one for “Star Trek XI - The Beginning” and feature perhaps the biggest name to move into the franchise since Patrick Stewart took on the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

Please note that Sci-Fi Heaven.net cannot confirm any of the statements contained herein, and that until confirmed by an official source, all information is to be treated as a rumour.

I thought this was possible when Jendresen was hired. If it ever came to fruition, it would be outstanding. Tom Hanks is a great actor and having him as the next captain would almost certainly help make XI a hit. Unfortunately, I don't think Hanks would ever do a TV series. But I think it would help the franchise moving forward again.

The move would be a dramatic one for “Star Trek XI - The Beginning” and feature perhaps the biggest name to move into the franchise since Patrick Stewart took on the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

Actually, Patrick Stewart wasn't that well known before Trek. He played a knight in Excallibur and a bit part in Dune in 1984 (which very few people saw) but other than that if you weren't into Shakespeare you wouldn't have heard of him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Hanks would ever do a TV series.

He got his start in a TV series. He was in this '80s sitcom called Bosom Buddies where he and this one other guy played men who had to dress as women because the only apartment they could get was a women-only place.

Hanks is a good actor, but NOT Trek material. Trek needs new faces, not a big star to help it's popularity.

He got his start in a TV series. He was in this '80s sitcom called Bosom Buddies where he and this one other guy played men who had to dress as women because the only apartment they could get was a women-only place.

I knew that, I meant now. He could make more in a single movie than a TV series that runs for 7 years. Patrick Stewart got more for Nemesis than he did for the entire run of TNG.

Considering what the budgets have been for Trek movies, Tom Hanks would have to take a massive pay cut. Nemesis had a production budget of $60 million and I doubt the next movie would have a larger one.

Considering what the budgets have been for Trek movies, Tom Hanks would have to take a massive pay cut. Nemesis had a production budget of $60 million and I doubt the next movie would have a larger one.

What was First Contact's budget? Just wondering since he was set to star in that as Cochrane. In fact, I just found this real cool piece of trivia on his imdb bio:

According to Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard), he (Hanks) is a huge Trekkie and the first time the two met, Star Trek was the only thing he wanted to talk about. Hanks was actually the original choice to play Zefram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact (1996), and desperately wanted to play the role, but had to back out due to his earlier commitment to That Thing You Do! (1996).

I have to think he might take the paycut since he wants to be in Star Trek.

What was First Contact's budget? Just wondering since he was set to star in that as Cochrane.

Box Office Mojo didn't have numbers for First Contact but I found a number at another site that says the production budget for First Contact was $46 million. According to Box Office Mojo, the production budget for Generations was $35 million, Insurrection was $58 million and Nemesis was $60 million. When you consider inflation, the budget for Nemesis was actually less than Insurrection. Those figures don't include advertising budget.

Edited by Takara_Soong

hm, interesting.

Hanks would be a really good choice in the movie.

It is very unfortnate that Picard wont be back (OMG, I've realised that I don't call him stewart anymore!)

I could live with Tom Hanks in a Star Trek movie. The guy is good at any role he accepts....I could NEVER watch Tom Cruise in S.T., that would be utterly nauseating.

Hanks is a good actor, but NOT Trek material. Trek needs new faces, not a big star to help it's popularity.

I agree. He certainly is a good actor. However, the news ... rumours rumours and more rumours. I need something solid, or I'd suffer from too much false hope.

We all know that Hanks is a big time actor, he's done everything!

Think about it.

Star Trek isn't that big anymore, would he REALLY be doing this?

After the closing of ENT, Trek has definetly calmed down, I very much doubt that they will make a roaring comeback with Tom Hanks.

Though it would be an awesome movie with Hanks, I doubt he will aggree