Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Nog-A-Thon

Every so often I will pick out a mini arc to watch and I'll watch all of the episodes that relate to that arc. Last night it was a "Nog-A-Thon" I watched "Heart Of Stone", "Facets" and "Little Green Men".

In "Heart Of Stone" Nog goes to Sisko and tells him he wants to be in Starfleet. In "Facets" he takes the test to be admitted into Starfleet Academy and in "Little Green Men" he leaves DS9 for Earth.

Tonight I'll watch "Treachery, Faith And The Great River" which shows Nog as a Starfleet officer yet still using his skill as a Ferengi to navigate his way through life in Starfleet, "The Seige of AR-558" where Nog becomes a war hero and also loses his leg in combat and finally "It's Only A Paper Moon" where he comes to terms with the loss of his leg and begins the mental healing process from the scars of combat.

I think those 6 episodes tell a great story of Nogs journey into and through Starfleet.

I love Nog as a character. Although, I have not seen all of the episodes that you mentioned I have most of them on my download list.

I love Nog as a character.  Although, I have not seen all of the episodes that you mentioned I have most of them on my download list.

These are all excellent episodes, you HAVE to see them. I suggest watching them in order. Especially AR-558/Paper Moon. They go together but only in the proper order.

I love Nog as a character.  Although, I have not seen all of the episodes that you mentioned I have most of them on my download list.

These are all excellent episodes, you HAVE to see them. I suggest watching them in order. Especially AR-558/Paper Moon. They go together but only in the proper order.

I will be sure to watch them in the proper order, as soon as I can get them downloaded, but you know that can take a while with ddu. LOL

something about "nog-a-thon" just cracks me up hehe. But seriously, I think it was with those episodes that I started to take a strong interest in his character, because here was somebody that is doing something completely unexpected, something that most of us thought Jake Sisko would do for sure.

something about "nog-a-thon" just cracks me up hehe. But seriously, I think it was with those episodes that I started to take a strong interest in his character, because here was somebody that is doing something completely unexpected, something that most of us thought Jake Sisko would do for sure.

Not only doing it but doing it well, and we all thought he was the little criminal lol

Not only doing it but doing it well, and we all thought he was the little criminal lol

Well, when we first saw Nog in "Emissary", he really was a criminal, stealing stuff from an abandoned store, but getting caught by Odo.

In order to do the character justice, I think a Nog-a-thon needs one or two more episodes from before "Heart of Stone", from when Nog was going to school and Jake was teaching him to read. If one were to see Nog for the first time in "Heart of Stone", we'd think it was odd to see a Ferengi trying to get into Starfleet, but we wouldn't truly understand what a journey this character was really taking. That's just my opinion, though. Nevertheless, the six you picked already are great choices.

Well, when we first saw Nog in "Emissary", he really was a criminal, stealing stuff from an abandoned store, but getting caught by Odo.

In order to do the character justice, I think a Nog-a-thon needs one or two more episodes from before "Heart of Stone", from when Nog was going to school and Jake was teaching him to read. If one were to see Nog for the first time in "Heart of Stone", we'd think it was odd to see a Ferengi trying to get into Starfleet, but we wouldn't truly understand what a journey this character was really taking. That's just my opinion, though. Nevertheless, the six you picked already are great choices.

Yeah, you could put one or two of the earlier Nog episodes in there, but I don't believe any episodes really focused in on Nog until Heart Of Stone. Other episodes have him in them but the stories weren't really about him. If someone were new to DS9 and didn't know the background of the character then they really should watch some of the earlier episodes like Emissary.

Yeah, you could put one or two of the earlier Nog episodes in there, but I don't believe any episodes really focused in on Nog until Heart Of Stone. Other episodes have him in them but the stories weren't really about him. If someone were new to DS9 and didn't know the background of the character then they really should watch some of the earlier episodes like Emissary.

Well, "Heart of Stone"'s B-plot was about Nog, but the A-plot was about Odo and "Kira". But I'm sure one of the earlier episodes has a B-plot about Nog (like whatever episode where Jake teaches Nog how to read). Think about it...in two years Nog went from illiterate criminal miscreant to aspiring soon-to-be Starfleet cadet. I think such a change deserves some coverage in a Nog-a-thon. I just wish I could tell you which episode(s) in particular to add off the top of my head.

Nog wasn't really in too many episodes in the first 2 seasons. In fact looking at the list I can't think of any season 2 episodes he was in except the final episode "The Jem'Hadar". That would be a good one to add to a Nog-A-Thon.

The one with Jake teaching Nog might have been "Rules of Acquisition", I'd have to go back and watch to be sure though. Before season 3 though Nog's parts could be said to have been D-Plots or E-Plots. Heart Of Stone was broken into 2 parts Odo/Kira and Nog/Sisko. Either could have stood alone as a single episode plot.

I do agree though, to get a more complete view of Nog's journey you need to see a complete picture of where he came from to where he went to.

Maybe you could splice together Nog scenes from the first two seasons to make your own pre-Heart of Stone Nog episode? :D

Maybe I'll do a Nog tribute film lol

Nog turned out to be a pretty great character after all, didn't he? I would have to say that he became my favorite secondary Trek character out of all the series. More so because we got to see him evolve from this little annoying, creepy Ferengi to a somewhat fearless Starfleet officer. And when you think about it, a renegade among Ferengi's. What else would you call a Ferengi who has compromised his natural social tendancies to strive for profit to dedicate his life his Starfleet? A most unprofitable venture among his people. Although he certainly showed his capability to wheel and deal in the episode, Treachery, Faith and the Great River. He became the all powerful supply sargeant, ala WWII, that could procure anything, anywhere, for the right price and motivation. It was nice that the writers didn't just blow this character off the series after the first couple of years, which they could have and instead allowed him to grow and become something no one expected. Sort of a Star Trek "True life story of success". I believe the series was made better because of that decision.

Nog turned out to be a pretty great character after all, didn't he? I would have to say that he became my favorite secondary Trek character out of all the series. More so because we got to see him evolve from this little annoying, creepy Ferengi to a somewhat fearless Starfleet officer. And when you think about it, a renegade among Ferengi's. What else would you call a Ferengi who has compromised his natural social tendancies to strive for profit to dedicate his life his Starfleet? A most unprofitable venture among his people. Although he certainly showed his capability to wheel and deal in the episode, Treachery, Faith and the Great River. He became the all powerful supply sargeant, ala WWII, that could procure anything, anywhere, for the right price and motivation. It was nice that the writers didn't just blow this character off the series after the first couple of years, which they could have and instead allowed him to grow and become something no one expected. Sort of a Star Trek "True life story of success". I believe the series was made better because of that decision.

Yeah, I've said before (and possibly in this very thread) that I believe that Nog had the biggest character growth of any of the characters. To go from stealing in Episode 1 to Starfleet hero that loses a leg in battle in The Siege of AR-558 is a huge leap.

As for that WWII supply sergeant, it wasn't just in WWII lol though I wasn't a supply sergeant (or even a sergeant for that matter I was just a Sp4 lol) I could pretty much get anything for anyone that might want something "outside of channels" lol. Of course that was more due to my "networking" skills... ie having friends in the right places lol.

I remember one night out in the field (I worked for the Battalion head quarters) we were sitting in the command tent at about 9PM. The Colonel, Battalion Command Sgt Major and various other mid level officers and NCO's were there just BSing and a buddy of mine from the Mess Tent (a cook) came into the tent and gave me a huge pan of Lasagna (my favorite!) and a full cake that were left over from the evenings chow.

Well you can just imagine the looks I got from the Colonel and CSM and the comments about how we were in this tent with the full command structure of the battalion sitting around talking and it's the SP4 that gets special "room service" catered to him and the officers were totally ignored lol. Well not totally ignored, I let them have the cake while I ate the Lasagna lol.

Ok, that totally had nothing to do with Nog but the memory just hit me and I had to share it lol

I think Nog had more character than Wesley hands down.

Wesley had his Starfleet career handed to him on a silver platter, and he still managed to (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) it up. Nog didn't get any breaks. He had to fight for everything he had.

I agree completely, take Wesley out of TNG or make him a character in 2 or 3 episodes per season and you lose nothing from TNG. Lake Nog out of DS9 though and you lose a really good character and good stories.

That's nothing against the actor, he acted his part well enough but the premise of the character was just bad. I understand that it was Gene's vision of himself, the wonder kid and all that but having Wonder Kid Wesley save the day time and again was just TOO much.

Nog on the other hand was just an all around great character, both before and after joining Starfleet. I think most people had a "Nog" as a friend growing up. The kid that was always getting you in trouble and coming up with schemes for the day.

Great character.

I agree completely, take Wesley out of TNG or make him a character in 2 or 3 episodes per season and you lose nothing from TNG. Lake Nog out of DS9 though and you lose a really good character and good stories.

That's nothing against the actor, he acted his part well enough but the premise of the character was just bad. I understand that it was Gene's vision of himself, the wonder kid and all that but having Wonder Kid Wesley save the day time and again was just TOO much.

Nog on the other hand was just an all around great character, both before and after joining Starfleet. I think most people had a "Nog" as a friend growing up. The kid that was always getting you in trouble and coming up with schemes for the day.

Great character.

Yup. A manifestation of an oversized ego. Right down to the name. "Wesley" was Roddenberry's middle name, apparently.

And yeah, I loved Nog. "It's Only A Paper Moon" is an incredible episode for both him and James Darren's Vic.

I'm in the mood now for a Nog-A-Thon, I'm not sure where I want to start though. Maybe I'll start with "Heart of Stone" and follow his Starfleet Arc.